Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Exhibit cards

I really like the Exhibit cards. I think they represent a great value for those trying to find cards from the "playing years" of some of the best hall of famers. I recently picked up this 1939-46 Jimmy Foxx PSA 7 for $105 (SMR is $250). I know that there is not a great deal of interest in these and that is perfectly fine by me. Where else am I going to find a PSA 7 Foxx during his playing years for that price.

Phil

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    red - as a serious answer to your question, you could get his MP & Co card for less than that, but it's downright ugly. It's possible that a PSA 7 pin (Orbit or Cracker Jack) might also be at that price or lower.

But you still picked up a beautiful card at a very nice price IMO.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I am a big exhibit collector and I think they are a great value for the money. You got a good price on a nice card.

That said some of the exhibits are a lot more scarce than others and that affects price a lot more, those sell for a lot more than SMR. See what a Williams with 9, Gehrig, Dean, Hartnett, and others, those get big bucks even in grades 2-5. I just sold a Williams with #9 PSA 4.5 for $350 and it's SMR is $187 and I have the same card in a 7 and it would take 3-4 x smr for me to sell it.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome Ted Williams exhibit. You hardly ever see that variation.

Here is a 1922 Eastern Exhibit Rogers Hornsby that I picked up tonight for $193.

• Options
    I picked this one up over the weekend. Only one graded higher (PSA 6).

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the two I have:

imageimage
    Steve
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Here is the only exhibit card that I have...bought raw on eBay for $20.00...

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    love em !
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>love em ! >>

Ditto...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    I just picked up this 1921 Walter Johnson. This is my favorite card of the Big Train.

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Very nice i really like the Williams and the Walter Johnson.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I bought 3 cello packs of these back in the day, I pulled a Mantle, Mays,Musial, and more. The best packs I ever opened, and probably held the most value as well!
  • Options

• Options
    I picked up this 1926-29 Exhibit Paul Waner rookie.

• Options
    Very Nice Waner but PSA messed up on the label. You have the Photo version not the Plain version. I do not have the waner plain to show but I will show two others so you can see the difference.

Here is the Sisler Plain version-
    And here is the Sisler Photo version-
  • Options
    Thanks. Yeah, the seller who I bought this from aknowledged the PSA error up front.

Nice Sisler's you have there.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you knew, I have been looking for the plain version for a while its really tough. One of my favorite cards-

imageimageimage
  • Options
    That SGC 84 Waner is tremendous. The highest PSA grade for this card is only a 6.

Let me know if you ever come across a Grover Alexander exhibit card in a PSA 5 for sale. I have been looking for one for awhile.

Thanks

Phil
  • Options
    I sure will Phil, fairly tough card to get in that grade. Here are my two Alexanders-

imageimage
  • Options
    Great looking Exhibit cards all around...image

Here's the ones I have in my HOF set...

Donato
    imageimageimage
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    I recently purchased these exhibits. I like the fielding pose of the George Sisler card.

• Options
    redlegs...

Nice pickups... I agree the Sisler pose is awesome...image

Donato

• Options
    Super pickups redlegs, I have done some deals with Louis hes a real nice guy and has some outstanding cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Super pickups redlegs, I have done some deals with Louis hes a real nice guy and has some outstanding cards. >>

You are right about that. Louis was terrific to deal with and very cordial. I hope to keep in contact with him.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I have been searching for a copy of that '21 Walter Johnson for my Senators/Twins type collection since I saw this fine piece of artwork here!

I really like the Exhibits in general and jumped at the chance to pick up a lot that included 58 boxers:

• Options
    Have to agree with everyone in this thread. Exhibits made some beautiful vintage cards.

Did anyone pick up any of the 1921 cards up for auction last night? I've been tracking the set for about a year and this was the first time I'd seen more than a handful up for auction at any given time, and I was able to grab five at (I think) decent prices and get a decent start on the 64-card set. Nothing in high grade or anything, but I think this set is beautiful in PSA 4. As a big White Sox fan, I was especially excited to pick up the Dick Kerr card. Kerr, who was not a part of the Black Sox Scandal, won two games (Games 3 and 6) in the 1919 World Series; only Red Faber has more World Series victories in a White Sox uniform, with 3 in the 1917 series. He went on to win 21 and 19 games in the 1920 and 1921 seasons. Ironically, he was later suspended from baseball for participating in exhibition games with members of the scandal.

• Options
    Nice 1921 pickups BRDSR! Also love the boxing exhibits, HoofHearted

I managed to win 3 1921's last night (only lost out on one), very excited as I have been looking for them for a while. Here's one of my favorite boxing exhibits-

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few I have:
    Opened 1 or 2 packs in the early to mid 1980's at $20.00 per pack.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Great Exhibit cards guys.

Here are a few others. I have to get the Johnny Mize graded. It is the tougher variation.

• Options
    I finally picked up my "white whale" and was the high bidder on this Exhibit Babe Ruth. One of my favorite Ruth poses on any card.

• Options
    Wow awesome Ruth, one of my favorites too!!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow awesome Ruth, one of my favorites too!! >>

Thanks. By the way, you have an awesome exhibit collection. I checked out your registered sets on the SGC website.
  • Options
    Awesome cards all. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford one of those '21 Walter Johnsons. I finally found a couple but they weren't reasonably priced.

Here's another Exhibit I found in an antique store. I'm not sure of the year. He was with the Reds from '46 to '53...

• Options
    I'm excited to add this Exhibit to my slowly growing collection:

• Options
    A very nice looking Mantle card. Excellent pick up.
  • Options
    I picked up this nice 1921 Frank Frisch yesterday.

• Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Anybody know how rare the 1947-66 Exhibit Mickey Mantle (portrait) card is? I have a chance to pick a ex-mt example up.

Thanks
    Jake
  • Options
    The Mantle Port is very tough, it was the last card I aquired for my set. That said there has been 1-2 for sale for a while from national dealers, one was looking for $1000 for a PSA 6 and the other was much higher for a PSA 8. I just felt there prices were too high and waited for one to come up for auction on ebay.
  • Options
    I picked up this 1921 Speaker a few days ago.

• Options
    I recently added this Jimmy Foxx rookie exhibit to my collection. There has only been a few of these graded. Only one graded higher.

• Options
    Here is a recent purchase. I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to obtain the highest graded version of this Walter Johnson.

• Options
    Wow Sweet Johnson, awesome card! One of my all time favorite poses.
  • Options
    Thanks. This is one of my favorite cards as well. Classic pose.
  • Options
    I picked up a few more exhibit cards for my collection. The Dimaggio in a PSA 7 is pop 9 with none higher. The Mize is the highest graded.

• Options
    That Foxx looks great! Very nice cards. I really like the exhibit cards... the photos are excellent, and take you back to each respective era.

I only have two myself... the '47-'66 Jackie Robinson, and the '21 Burleigh Grimes rookie... the Grimes card is one of my favorites in my collection. I hope to add a Foxx to my collection as well... Just first caught up in trying to complete this Bond Bread Jackie Robinson set.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    The thing I like about the Exhibits are that they are real photos of the players as opposed to "artwork" cards like the Goudey's, strip cards, and even T205/T206. There aren't that many prewar sets that use photos, and many of the sets of the era re-use the same photos over and over again (e.g., E120, E121, etc). The Exhibits re-use photos too, but they have a lot of distinct pictures that are very popular.
  • Options
    Nice Mize and that Dimaggio is sharp!

I have not posted any in a while so here are a couple new additions I have from the last couple months-

imageimage

And I am working on a color master set of the 1926-29 Waner Rookie card, still missing at least 3 colors-

• Options
    That is a very nice collection of Paul Waner rookie exhibit cards. That is quite an accomplishment to find such an assortment of color variations. Nice job.

I really like the 1920's-1940's exhibit cards because of the use of actual photos and relative inexpensiveness compared to mainstream sets of the era.
  • Options
    I recently picked up this very nice Carl Hubbell.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also enjoy the Exhibits!

Here's my favorite Killebrew.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think it's worth grading the 1974 Baseball's Great Hall Of Fame Exhibits (reprinted from the 1948 set)? I have several sets of these in NM to MINT condition. It seems like these are often mistaken for the 1977 reprinted set that had added such players like Mantle, Ruth, Banks and Mays. These are definitely from the 1974 set.

Example of what I have: