Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1992 DDO FS-101 Silver Kennedy

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: Neat coin. Just curious, did PCGS find it on their own, or did you find it before you submitted a bulk order to them?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I found it and it is tougher than I thought as I have been at it a while. PCGS would never notice it unless they were looking for it as it is not real radical of doubling, like a 1955 DDO Lincoln etc. There are other varieties for this date but i have not gotten around to submitting them to be added to the cherry picker's guide but i will some day.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done.

I am screening with the kids tonight about 1,000 1964-D BU quarters for DDO's and DDR's. Very tedious work to say the least. I told the kids this is their class in "AP Numismatics" tonight. Many folks who do not do their own screening to make their own "homemade" coins never really know just how difficult it is to find that neat variety.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch,

At least the kiddos will get some college credit for helping you. image

Nice find Mark. Seems like a super tough variety to find. image
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I wish i could get my Kid interested in coins. It's hard to compete with xbox live and rockband etc. The 1992 I have found to be tougher than the 1988 DDO but the chance of finding high quality for 1988 vs. 1992 is less in my opinion, therefore the PCGS weighting of 4 for the 1992 and 5 for the 1988 seems about right. I do not see how they can possibly come up with accurate weights without a blind guess as they do not have the experience of searching for the errors or a general idea how particular dates run in terms of quality in certain grades from large fresh samples.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish i could get my Kid interested in coins. It's hard to compete with xbox live and rockband etc. The 1992 I have found to be tougher than the 1988 DDO but the chance of finding high quality for 1988 vs. 1992 is less in my opinion, therefore the PCGS weighting of 4 for the 1992 and 5 for the 1988 seems about right. I do not see how they can possibly come up with accurate weights without a blind guess as they do not have the experience of searching for the errors or a general idea how particular dates run in terms of quality in certain grades from large fresh samples. >>

All they have to go on are blind guesses for weights since many folks have not bothered with some of these "Modern Varieties". I expect that current prices (both by PCGS and by reality) are a reflection of this fact. Being "difficult to find" and "never bothered to look" will both have an impact on the population reports which also have an impact on price.
    For the actual Complete Varieties Proof Set Registry, there are only a handfull of folks that have ANY of the modern varieties other than the Accented Hair and the Type 1/2 79's and 81's.

I'm glad I did not see this particular auction at this point in time...........................yet disappointed at the same time.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm glad I did not see this particular auction at this point in time...........................yet disappointed at the same time. >>

Lee
    You've already got plenty of Kennedys...leave some for the rest of us...image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm glad I did not see this particular auction at this point in time...........................yet disappointed at the same time. >>

Lee
    You've already got plenty of Kennedys...leave some for the rest of us...image >>

Thats not gonna happen as there are still plenty left that I need! image

Unfortunately, Kennedy's are still considered Moderns and few folks really take the time to L@@K at them!

I do find the coin to be fairly attractive both in size and available varieties. The doubling on some of them is really, really impressive!

However, the latest proofs that have been produced make me want to puke! I cannot stand the reverses as the designs have been completely reduced to low relief crap! The artificial frosting thats been applied makes the arrows look totally cheesy like something you'd find on a blueprint! ------>

To go from this:

To this:

Is unpardonable and fairly tacky IMO.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!