• Two Cents, Three Cents and Half Dimes
• Nickels through 1938
• Dimes through 1945
• Twenty Cents
• Quarter Dollars through 1964
• Half Dollars through 1963
• Silver Dollars through 1935
• Non-modern gold coins

Visit Everyman Collections at the PCGS Set Reigstry and let us know what you think!

In addition, there's a new feature in "My Set Registry" which has been requested a number of times. Now you can commit all changes to your sets with one click rather going to each set to make the change. When you add new inventory and select the option to add coins which match or replace coins if the rating is higher, simply go to "My Sets" after adding your new inventory. If changes have been made to your sets a button will appear called "Commit changes to all sets." Click this button and all sets with changes will be updated at once. This should be a time saver for those who are especially active in the Registry.

Thank you all for your support of the PCGS Set Registry. We appreciate your patronage. As always, should you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to email me.

BJ Searls
Set Registry Manager

_______________________________________________________________________________________________-

Though I like the concept, I would rather it be based on price, not wear.
How about anything that can be sent economy (under $300?).
It may be difficult to keep track of as the market fluctuates, but there are quite a few coins, even in AG/F that will be out of "everyman's" budget.

Comments

• Options
    Who's going to submit or buy pcgs au late date Wheats, Mercs, Washingtons, etc? I think a much better idea would be to allow mint state coins but just not give the person more points than what an au would get.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these sets are wonderful for the much older coins like barber coins/seated coins and all series before those where a mint state collection is pretty tough, but they don't seem too practical for many of the more recent series where the costs of slabbing individual coins likely exceeds the value of many of the coins in circulated grades. I'm always for more set possiblities and collecting options though image
  • Options
    This is an interesting variant. It blocks out uncirculated coins, but it's not about lowballs, either. This will make life a lot easier for those of us putting together, say, gold sets, where in uncirculated, I'm competing against not just the big, legendary collections, but maybe 150 sets that each cost more than my house.

The goal is a kind of Bob Barker, The Price is Right sort of thing, in which one seeks to get as close as possible to AU58 without going over.

With this group of sets in mind, I'll have to think about whether I want to work on one of them.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL:

The lead has changed on the Everyman's Type Set!

That will be all. Carry on.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I like it!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    I'm too stubborn and/or hard-headed to remove AU coins that I've made from my Walker registry sets. Sure, I could buy upgrades, but I'd miss my little AU coins.

I've got to look into this Everyman's thing. I could include my early date Walkers as well as the few AU examples scattered around the set. O'course I'll probably end up wanting to begin an entire circ set.

On a side note, since PCGS has been shuffling Walker registry set requirements, what are the chances there will ever be an Early Date Walker Set (1916-1929)? Would that just be (more) overkill?

Thanks for the input and suggestions you guys. You old hands are good to have around.

edit2: PCGS mentions in their text about the '16-'29 group being one of the groups that are often collected. The other being '33-'40 and the ubiquitous short set, '41-'47. My question is, is, why hasn't PCGS made the early date Walkers a set unto themselves? It's a far out grouping of coins to work on.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Who's going to submit or buy pcgs au late date Wheats, Mercs, Washingtons, etc?
    I think a much better idea would be to allow mint state coins but just not give the person more points than what an au would get.

At first I thought this was a very good idea, but the more I think of it, the less I like it as stated

What I hate.....OK, too strong.....dislike about registry proof sets is when there are (10) members with the best score possible.
    Gee, just buy a PR70DCAM next year and you stay at the top.
    Same thing here, as long as you have AU-58 & MS coins & your at the top of the heap.
    BUT, what if we take a page from the normal registry sets & say if you have an MS coin you are awarded P01 points?
    The emphasis is still to get AU coins, but the MS coins you already have will not have to be 'duped' with lesser coins.

I think the incentive to send in circulated coins to finish the set will be greater if you only have 10 holes to fill rather than 50 & 40 will be dupes.
  • Options
    I am not exactly sure how I feel about these sets.
    While there are some series that I like to collect and realize that I will never own a MS collection (Draped Bust and Capped Bust), this can be quite interesting. However, I still can't afford a straight set of AU 58 and thats all a big collector needs to take the top spot here too.

Will this drive the price of AU 58 examples up? Or will this just be a niche like the low ball sets?

Adam

• Options
    I guessing still a niche, I mean how many registry set participants will own both MS & AU versions of the same coins?

Unless they buy up the AU55/58 and hold them hostage for a higher ransom......nah, collector/dealers wouldn't do that.....right? image
  • Options

<< <i>I guessing still a niche, I mean how many registry set participants will own both MS & AU versions of the same coins?

Unless they buy up the AU55/58 and hold them hostage for a higher ransom......nah, collector/dealers wouldn't do that.....right? image >>

I noted that a couple dealers at the Long Beach show today were already pushing AU coins a little harder based on the Everyman Collections... didn't notice any significant price change because of them though.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    And I just sold off my AU Lincolns last week.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great opportunity this would be for PCGS to really make this an "everyman" registry by realizing that there are also NGC, ANACS and IGC coins out there.

The whole concept is goofy, why not open it up to include other services and REALLY let the everyman who has a generalized collection take advantage of it?
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST IDEAS PCGS HAS DEVISED. THEY ARE TRYING TO GET EVERYMAN, WOMAN TO SUBMIT MOSTLY WORTHLESS COINS.

Can you imagine taking all the coins out of your whitman albums and spending more on grading the coins than they will ever be worth ?

Hey do you want to buy a VF 20 1926 Lincoln cent ?

I suggest they abolish this scam immediately or offer all everyman woman coins graded for one dollar each.

Stewart Blay
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    There's already a Low-Ball Section image
  • Options
    I kind of like it. My main set I'm working on is the Complete Dime Set. I've already set my goals as far as grades.

Satin Finish Roosies - MS68FB
    Roosies (silver and clad) - MS66 (min and FB doesn't matter)
    Mercurys - RATTLERS
    Barbers - XF to MS
    Seated - XF to AU
    Capped Bust - VF to XF (hopefully a few AU along the way)
    Drapped Bust - G to VG

While I'm working on the main set I can have the Seated and Bust in their little own subsets.

Millertime
  • Options
    Stewart...hate to tell ya this, but there are a lot more series out there than Lincoln Cents.

Not every AU coin is 'worthless'. That little 1860 D gold dollar to the left there........thats a 7K coin and its an AU50
  • Options

<< <i>THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST IDEAS PCGS HAS DEVISED. THEY ARE TRYING TO GET EVERYMAN, WOMAN TO SUBMIT MOSTLY WORTHLESS COINS.

I suggest they abolish this scam immediately or offer all everyman woman coins graded for one dollar each.

>>

Seems like a brilliant move by PCGS. Get folks to submit a bunch of coins they otherwise wouldn't submit and they don't have much risk with the grade guarantee since coins aren't worth as much as mint state coins in the first place.

I do agree that it would be silly for folks to submit coins only worth a buck or so just to get it in their regsitry sets, but people do that already with many moderns image Maybe PCGS could do a new very low price grading service for coins worth under $50 or under $25 and just send the coins back to us First Class to avoid the big shipping costs. That would be the way to get "everyman/woman" collecting.

I can't see doing this for Lincolns since so many AU coins are worth less than a buck. But could be fun for a Seated or Bust set. Even though the whales dominating the MS sets could probably just be #1 in the everyman registry just by writing a check if they want to. Maybe collectors should be required to choose between either the regular set or the everyman set and not be allowed to compete in both???
  • Options
    jy8sjy8s Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I can sense every grader thinking .... Great I am going to be using my expertise to grade someones pocket change so they can play the Registry game! What a career choice and use of my experienceimage
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That little 1860 D gold dollar to the left there........thats a 7K coin and its an AU50 >>

How "everyman" of that coin!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! I just entered my seated dime set and went in in 1st ahead of Gery Fortin! This is the only way I will EVER be ahead of him in seated dimes!image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU coins deserve a home too. image

• Options
    Yipee....I now have the Number 1 "everyman" Gold Dollar Collection. of course, its the ONLY set (as of 9 pm tonite). I do wish I could plug in all my NGC coins though...Hey Pcgs...why not allow NGC,,ANACS and IGC coins into this thing also? Maybe give them a 1 point deduction (just for the hell of it)

do I get a ribbon?image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much you want to bet, that your 100% AU set on top of the list will never be authorized for a "pedigree" designation.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Guess AU58's will get hot.

Shame it looks like there won't be a bonus for RB's (or RD's) in the coppers. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU 58 RD? Now there's a rare bird. image
  • Options
    I do think it would be silly to send in coins worth a buck or so just to fill a registry set. I welcome the Everyman gold sets, though, because even common small gold is worthy of submission, even if primarily to verify authenticity rather than to play the registry set game.

I collect first and then fill registry sets. Those who spend a fortune on coins just to compete in registry sets are kind of like obsessive Trekkies, but with money. (I don't mean to put down Trekkies in general. It's fine if you go through Pon Farr every seven years. I mean the really, really obessive types who convert their living rooms into the bridge of the Enterprise--as it appears in the second season, after Sulu gets the pop-up thing on his navigation console.)
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Those who spend a fortune on coins just to compete in registry sets are kind of like obsessive Trekkies, but with money. (I don't mean to put down Trekkies........)

So, just who are you putting down? image

What do you think of golfers who spend thousands on clubs, then $$$$ on green fee's?

There are probably countless other hobby's that cost lots of $$ with no thought of ROI.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those who spend a fortune on coins just to compete in registry sets are kind of like obsessive Trekkies, but with money. (I don't mean to put down Trekkies in general. It's fine if you go through Pon Farr every seven years. I mean the really, really obessive types who convert their living rooms into the bridge of the Enterprise--as it appears in the second season, after Sulu gets the pop-up thing on his navigation console.) >>

• Options
    Yeah and after you lose your shirt selling coins you feel like Captain Pike.... sitting there in a chair with a 'stare of death' and no future.
  • Options
    So you Star Wars fans don't feel left out, check out my Everyman Indian half-eagle set...

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=63040

They're coming in too fast!
    Stay on target...
    Aagh!!! (blam!)
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    even in AU that half cent set will not be an easy task.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    YES !!!!! I am #2 on the ALL TIME $2 1/2 dollar gold indian set ... and everybody thought collecting these in xf 45 would never get me nothing ... image
  • Options
    None of my gold Indian $2.50s are eligible. Why, just the other day I snuck out to a coin show and got me a 1915, but it's MS62.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Hey I'm near the top and I'm less than 40% Complete!

Well, until I see how I did with my last few submissions... image
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Just makes it harder for people like me that were doing an AU58BN set already. $10 AU58BN lincolns are already selling for $50!!!!!
  • Options
    CHECK OUT J J TEAPARTY'S WEBSITE at www.jjteaparty.com We will be trying to make a lot of circulated grade type coins in all series for your Everyman Registry sets. Send us your want lists, we will be happy to work with you. Contact Gail at gail@jjteaparty.com. We have been selling circulated type coins to collectors for years, the only difference now is they will be in PCGS holders. We look forward to working with you. Best wishes, Liz Coggan
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CHECK OUT J J TEAPARTY'S WEBSITE at www.jjteaparty.com We will be trying to make a lot of circulated grade type coins in all series for your Everyman Registry sets. Send us your want lists, we will be happy to work with you. Contact Gail at gail@jjteaparty.com. We have been selling circulated type coins to collectors for years, the only difference now is they will be in PCGS holders. We look forward to working with you. Best wishes, Liz Coggan >>

JJ Teaparty is one of my favorites image
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    you would think that the tea party would turn on private messaging
  • Options
    Oh, hey. I got my 1908 No Motto Saint Gaudens $20 from J.J. Teaparty about a year and a half ago; I saw you at a coin show in Grapevine, Texas. It's a great coin; indeed, too great for the Everyman sets at PCGS-certified MS65. But, it turned out to be the best investment I made in 2008. I paid $1500 then, but soon afterwards the prices on similar coins really bolted upwards. I thought the premium back then was so low for what I was getting, that I knew it would be a good investment. But, I've been stunned at how well I've done. Today, I'd be hard pressed to find another one at $2400; the PCGS price guide lists them around $2650. If I were in it for the money, I'd sell now and cash in. But, I'm a sentimentalist. At least someone a few decades from now will inherit a great coin!
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, hey. I got my 1908 No Motto Saint Gaudens $20 from J.J. Teaparty about a year and a half ago; I saw you at a coin show in Grapevine, Texas. It's a great coin; indeed, too great for the Everyman sets at PCGS-certified MS65. But, it turned out to be the best investment I made in 2008. I paid $1500 then, but soon afterwards the prices on similar coins really bolted upwards. I thought the premium back then was so low for what I was getting, that I knew it would be a good investment. But, I've been stunned at how well I've done. Today, I'd be hard pressed to find another one at $2400; the PCGS price guide lists them around $2650. If I were in it for the money, I'd sell now and cash in. But, I'm a sentimentalist. At least someone a few decades from now will inherit a great coin! >>

Amen! I bought a "VF25" Barber Half from Gail at Baltimore a few months back, it's sitting in a PCGS VF35 Holder now image

And I did get a few slabbed Barbers from them as well image
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car