Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New #1 Set! or I'm the first in a new category. :)

I just received BJs mail about the Everyman sets. These sets are for circulated coins. I entered my 1/2 cent collection (all 5 coins) and am now first. image Of course I'm also last image

Have fun everybody!

Carl's Half Cents

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the same in the Liberty Nickel category.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    A neat new section by the creators of the PCGS Registry!

Now, about that "Classic Set" section image
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Over the past few years, I have talked to collectors who have stayed away from collecting the classics, mainly because many of the coins in the classic series are cost prohibitive in Mint State or Proof. One look at the list of PCGS Set Registry Hall of Fame inductees and the award winners tells the story. Let's face it; the PCGS Set Registry is home to some of the finest collections ever assembled.

You may be one who collects for the sheer joy of putting together a nice, uniform collection, and although you love the competitive nature of the Registry, purchasing a Gem Mint State type coin is cost prohibitive. Or, you have a young numismatist at home who started with Washington State quarters but would now like to build a set of Buffalo nickels. With his or her allowance, even a MS60 1915-S would be a stretch. Perhaps you have a friend who is interested in starting his or her first coin collection. There is now a new category in the PCGS Set Registry that might fulfill your needs or that of your son, daughter or friend. It's called the "Everyman" Collections where no coin can be registered that is graded over AU58. In Everyman Collections there is a very good chance of having your set ranked in the top 20 on the first page, rather than near the bottom on page two, three or four. So now collectors can enjoy the competition, camaraderie and fun of the Registry without spending a fortune on costly Mint State or Proof coins.

The Everyman Collections include the following categories:
    • Half Cents
    • Large Cents
    • Small Cents through 1958
    • Two Cents, Three Cents and Half Dimes
    • Nickels through 1938
    • Dimes through 1945
    • Twenty Cents
    • Quarter Dollars through 1964
    • Half Dollars through 1963
    • Silver Dollars through 1935
    • Non-modern gold coins

Visit Everyman Collections at the PCGS Set Reigstry and let us know what you think!

In addition, there's a new feature in "My Set Registry" which has been requested a number of times. Now you can commit all changes to your sets with one click rather going to each set to make the change. When you add new inventory and select the option to add coins which match or replace coins if the rating is higher, simply go to "My Sets" after adding your new inventory. If changes have been made to your sets a button will appear called "Commit changes to all sets." Click this button and all sets with changes will be updated at once. This should be a time saver for those who are especially active in the Registry.

Thank you all for your support of the PCGS Set Registry. We appreciate your patronage. As always, should you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to email me.

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just received BJs mail about the Everyman sets. These sets are for circulated coins. I entered my 1/2 cent collection (all 5 coins) and am now first. image Of course I'm also last image

Have fun everybody! >>

Wow, I am in the #1 spot tooimage But just like you, I am also in last placeimage I just put in three of my double dimes just because I couldimage

Now a question... can a person run the same coins in a standard twenty cent set and a Poorman... I mean Everyman twenty cent set? Not that I can compete with them top pop mint state coins anyway, just wonderingimage
  • Options
    This could casue a bubble in the coin market where you find AU58 coins trading for more the MS60.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This could casue a bubble in the coin market where you find AU58 coins trading for more the MS60. >>

You are probably right. AU58 is the grade I normally look for and as it is I often see people asking for more than AU money. I think that my current hunting list may have just got more expensiveimage
  • Options
    This just seems like PCGS doesn't realize the impact of changes to the registry to the prices they have the ability to manipulate the market
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm first and last for the mercs.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This could casue a bubble in the coin market where you find AU58 coins trading for more the MS60. >>

I think this is a fact of life in that the MS60 to MS62's are usually butt ugly coins and sell for less any time they go up against an eye appealing 55 or 58.

I will also note that I do not see this being a large enough factor in the market as a few of us have been collecting in the mid grades for years.

• Options
    I am in
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just received BJs mail about the Everyman sets. These sets are for circulated coins. I entered my 1/2 cent collection (all 5 coins) and am now first. image Of course I'm also last image

Have fun everybody!

Carl's Half Cents >>

Dang! Looks like you've already been bounced to number 2!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    <<Dang! Looks like you've already been bounced to number 2! >>

Dang! Well at least I had my 15 minutes of fame as #1 . image

I have two more coins coming but that won't change my position, the new #1 guy is 45% complete. Regardless I'm having fun again!
  • Options
    I'm first, last, and only in the Liberty gold $5s. There's some sort of charm in seeing your set in the number one position, even if it's only temporary, knowing that others will soon discover this category. Besides, it's a set of 201 coins, some of which I can safely assume I'll never own.

Edit: additional comments...

I don't think this will affect the market dramatically; given the choice between an MS61 with sufficient eye appeal and an AU58 that is graded so on technicality, I'm still going for the higher grade. I collect coins with my own goals in mind, and then I fit them into sets. I'm not just trying to fill a set, though the set registry does give me some ideas about the direction to take with my collecting, so that I'm not just buying randomly. I welcome the Everyman category idea, because it does add a new layer of recognition for coins that otherwise sometimes get overlooked.

But, note that not all Everyman sets are necessarily cheap. For instance, there's a set for gold $3s, and one for gold Saint Gaudens $20s. Each individual item is still $1000 or more. But, in those categories, the one driving the Lexus or Cadillac can keep up with those out there in the Bentleys and Rolls Royces.

In my case, I've got just enough budget to get into gold, but many of my non-generic-date coins are going to be pretty well-worn. Some have asked me why I even bother getting some of my circulated coins graded, given the cost of certification versus the overall value of the coin. Aside from the set registry, I do it for authentication--there's a lot of counterfeiting among small gold--and for the appraisal. That, and on occasion I can cherry-pick. Granted, my 1929 Indian Quarter Eagle, bought at an AU price but graded MS61, isn't eligible for an Everyman set.

I wonder if we'll ever see registry sets specifically for Genuine coins?
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Looks like you've already dropped to #2, but you got your couple of hours in the sun.
  • Options
    I got into the Walkers at #2, bumping ajia. Then a few hours later I got bumped. I see myself dropping like a rock.

I still don't get the idea of these sets, really. I'm never going to go buy circulated Walkers for this thing. Upgrades for my early Walkers, yeah, but not a circ just to fill in a slot.

Y'all have fun.
  • Options
    These sets probably don't make sense for those people already collecting more modern series, like Lincolns and Walkers. They may also not make sense for more modern sets where the cost of certification is greater than the value of the coin.

They do make sense for people who only collect certified, circulated examples of their series, like my Half Cents. This may also be true of some seated and earlier series. Also gold.

When I get back into type set registry attempt I will target XF coins for 19th century and earlier stuff.