Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Well, I took the plunge...

... and bought myself a Nikon D40 with an 18-55 mm and the 55-200 mm VR lenses (Nikor), the Nikon wireless remote and a 36" high Delta copy stand. My teacher (along with Marc Goodman's book) is a former head of the photog department at the Fort Lauderdale SunSentinel. Now, I'll finally be able to learn how to photograph my collections and get some feedback from the wonderful folks here on the Greyside. I'm really looking forward to being able to share and not just comment anymore. This is something that has been on my heart to do for some time but, I wanted to really make sure I would commit to doing this so I waited enough time in order to make sure that the commitment would not be short lived. Some of the pictures that you guys take are PHENOMINAL and I just hope that I can live up to that standard image

PS. I purchased my equipment from B&H photo online. They're friendly, knowledgible and shipping was free (not to mention, NO SALES TAX!)
Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

Comments

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Look forward to seeing your work !!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I think you made a great choice on the Nikon SLR; bought one myself a couple of months ago. And you couldn't find better teachers.

Now let the endless light adjustment, carping, complaining, fit flinging and nit picking over results begin :+)

The fun is in the learning and you're doing the right thing in getting your collection on photographic record.......

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Not to play the part of peanut gallery, but with the lenses you list, you realize that these are not dedicated macro lenses, right? They're telephoto lenses. The best coin results come from using a dedicated macro lens. If you're buying lenses to be all-purpose lenses that ALSO can do some macro work, then ignore my comments. image

The one I use the most is this one (my camera is a different mount, but otherwise it's the same):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352426-USA/Sigma_104306_150mm_f_2_8_EX_APO.html

I use the kit lens for distance full-slab shots.

Closeup examples (all were shot in slab):

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. As I progress in my picture taking skills, I hope to move up to the Sigma. I haven't been serious about photography since my Nikon FE2 days as a nightclub photographer in the mid 80's. BTW, your pictures are fantastic image I hope to achieve your level of quality and welcome your comments. Now, talk bad about my coins and... image

Gary
  • Options
    The thing that will increase your quality the most ultimately, is that with a longer focal-length lens, you can move the camera farther away from the coin, thus allowing you to position multiple lights at a higher (less harsh) angle and have even illumination over the entire coin.

Having the camera a foot and a half away from the coin rather than just a few inches away is what has made all the difference in my picture quality. The best, most expensive SLR camera in the world won't overcome that if you're still having to shoot the coin from 4 inches away. image

In fact a lower-end DSLR + a quality 150mm macro lens will likely (in my opinion anyway) produce a better results than a high-end DSLR + a 55mm lens. I'm generalizing of course, but I think the macro lens makes more of a difference than the specific camera does.

Looking forward to your pics!
  • Options
    Lighting angle is the key. Try to get lighting angle as close to straight on as possible. That is why coinpictures says moving the camera farther away will increase the quality of your images the most.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I took Dan's advice and changed my order , switching the 55-200VR Nikon for the 150 Sigma AF. I'm stoked to say the least!

Gary
  • Options
    For coin shots, I think you'll be more than happy with that lens. I know I was. Plus, with B&H you have a return privilege in the event you don't like the results.

Now the next question: Do you have a large, heavyweight copy stand? That's going to be critical, because this lens is BIG. A small tabletop tripod won't even begin to cut it.

Here is my (admittedly ghetto) setup (that's the sigma lens bolted to the copystand sans camera):

The clip-on gooseneck lights at the top were $8.99 each from Wal-Mart. I prefer those to desktop swing-arm lamps, since they don't get in my way at table-level.

With the above pictured setup, if the lighting gets too harsh, I can often remedy it by simply pointing the front of the bulb slightly off to the rear or the side. Since the angle of the lighting remains high I still get good color and surface detail, but it's not as harsh, if that makes any sense.

I have since added a third swing-arm desk lamp at the front.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Ghetto?!! You should see my setup. I bought some gooseneck track lights with the tracks and retroed them to fit my copystand. I had to get away from the fluorescent lighting and went for the halogen. I am using the Tamron 180mm 3.5 macro which works a little better than the Nikkor VR 105mm 2.8 macro I have been using for the past year. I have to say though, after using the Nikon 700 body, I am not so sure that this body is any better than the Cannon I was using before. It also could most definitely be the user.image -Dan
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Gary,

I purchased a used Nikon D200 body from a Pro Photographer friend.

I lusted for and was going to get the Sigma 150 but instead
    I went with the Sigma 105 Macro. (The price was to good to pass up)

Are you in Ft. Lauderdale? If so, maybe we can get together some time and compare notes.
    I'm on the NE end of town.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary
    B&H absolutely rocks here in NYC - btw now you have no excuse not to post and infuse the board with a hoard of new spectacular photosimage

yup I agree coinpictures has amazing shots - puts me to shame for sure.
  • Options
    Marc,

I'll be sure to tease you with some of my better Palestine Mandate material (including duplicates).

Gary
  • Options
    Hey Steve, for just your info. I'm going to instruct Gary in his photographic endeavor. As i shoot consignments for clients in my ebay store.

He has already learned much from you guys in the message area. Which leads me to believe he'll be a quick study.

www.magicvisionphoto.com
    Joe.
    BourseChair 3rd Sunday Coin Show
    www.ftlauderdalecoinclub.com
    www.magicvisionphoto.com