Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

WTB - Nazi (w/ swastika) 5 Mark coin in PCGS MS64 or better - uniform surfaces, no spots

Don't get all upset and spam me. I'm neither a racist nor am I interested in other Nazi stuff (no PM's offering me war souvenirs please). This post is an expression of my desire to locate and purchase a single coin as described below.

I am looking for a nice example of the 5 reichsmark coin from the Nazi period that depicts the German war bird carrying a swastika on the reverse (Obverse being the former Reichspräsident Paul von Hindenburg).

These things seem pretty hard to find in high grade. I gather many of these were melted for silver after the war. The vast majority of these that I have seen are either circulated or cleaned.

I am looking for a well struck example in PCGS plastic (will consider NGC, but really have a strong preference for the high standards of our hosts). The coin's surfaces should be uniform and not spotty. Toning is acceptable if attractive and preferably uniform).

PM me if you have an example and photos.

Edited to make reference to MS64 not Ms65

Comments

• ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    You may have to find a raw one and get it slabbed... I personally haven't seen many of these slabbed... of course I haven't looked for slabbed ones... I have quite a few raw ones that i can look through if you would like...
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    These coins are indeed difficult to obtain in nice MS condition (some are virtually impossible). I have spent the past 3 or 4 years building a (raw) set of the 3rd Reich 2-5 Marks, attempting to obtain them all in nice BU (from 1933-1939, there are 99 type, date and mint combinations!). All but a few of my 99 meet my standards, so I'm still looking for a few upgrades. I have slabbed ones in my 3rd Reich Type Set, even some Proofs, but I don't think I have any duplicates of the type you seek in PCGS plastic. I'll check later, and will let you know if I find one. I know I have 1 or 2 of the Church type in PCGS MS, and I think I have an extra Hindenburg/Swastika in NGC 64...not sure about PCGS. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Not sure if anyone would slab these coins. But since these were in circulation, it's really hard to find them in MS condition raw. Those that I have, I could still see 'feathers' at the breast of the eagle though ...
  • You guys are great. Thank you. PM's sent.
  • No MS65 yet... TTT
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    No MS65 yet... TTT
    No MS65 yet... TTT
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friendly suggestion... check the pop reports at both PCGS and NGC

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I did - PCGS has graded a total of ZERO in MS65 or higher with only 4 in 64. Good luck with your hunt!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    TTT - Sunday
    TTT
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should change your title to Third Reich image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    TTT - No MS64 yet.

>You should change your title to Third Reich

Na, just looking for a type coin. I like US coinage and those proof roos too much to launch off into German coins just now. This 5-Mark project is one of those that might go on for a few years until I find just the right coin. I might even get lucky some day and find a top pop coin raw - wouldn't that be a hoot? I bought a 5-Mark piece a month or two ago from a NY dealer, but was disapointed in his estimation of grade image (I'm out $60)...
    TTT