Home Sports Talk
Options

Emmitt Smith Is A Very Smart Man

Can't talk worth a darn, but he's got his predictions in line.

Emmitt Smith down on Cowboys, says Wade Phillips leading a 7-win team

Emmitt Smith doesn't have a lot of confidence in the Cowboys' chances this season. And his faith in Wade Phillips and Tony Romo is wavering too.

On a radio blitz Tuesday, Smith said his projection for the Cowboys this season will likely extend their 13-year run without a playoff win.

"Realistically," he told ESPN radio, "I think that the Cowboys can win seven games."

Smith said the Cowboys lack the discipline of recent Super Bowl teams and aimed his criticism as Phillips.

In comments to Sirius/XM radio, he said:

"... When I think back to Bill Belichick, when I think back to Tom Coughlin, when I go back even further, you see those kinds of coaches really winning the big one. And they instill discipline from day one. They didn't come in trying to make friends. Matter of fact, they created a bunch of enemies and they made the enemies get on their terms and then they moved forward. And that's one thing that I believe that the Dallas Cowboys can use."

Smith won three Super Bowls during his career with the Cowboys from 1990-2002. He said Romo has not shown the tenacity to "demand excellence" from his teammates that great quarterbacks need.

Of Romo, Smith told Sirius/XM:

"I never saw him go snatch somebody up and say, ‘Hey, we can't win like this. We can't have guys jumping off-sides. I can't have somebody coming at me unabated. Who is making the mistakes up front? Why aren't you picking this guy up? This is not going down this way. If you can't get your job done get off the football field.' "

Smith also refused to say that the Cowboys had gotten better by releasing Terrell Owens after last season. He had high praise for the three-pronged rushing attack of Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice, but questioned the team's reliance on Roy Williams as its go-to receiver.

Of Williams, to ESPN radio:

"The question is, can Roy step up and be what they need him to be? I don't know. I don't know if it's possible. ... I do not see him as a No. 1. I never have saw him as a No. 1. Never have. When I say No. 1, I mean your No. 1 go-to guy. He's not your No. 1 go-to guy."

Comments

• Options
    Amen
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought Wade Phillips was incapable of running a disciplined football team, I think he is a players coach which is not the recipe for strong results.

Losing T.O and erratic play will be the reason why the Cowboys wont be a winner anytime soon Phillips is not all to blame, and btw I said the EXACT same thing about Roy Williams at my Fantasy draft- guys in both drafts are touting this kid as a stud which is a joke imo.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Who's Emmitt Smith? >>

Oh Oh.....Watch out for a craigslist posting of an Emmitt Smith collection in the Tampa Bay area!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emmitt telling it like it is...and he's right....and he didn't mention it, but the deeper meaning to his comments I think is he was knocking Jerry Jones for hiring these coaches - I mean it all starts with ownership hiring the right people and drafting and signing the right players.
  • Options

<< <i>Emmitt telling it like it is...and he's right....and he didn't mention it, but the deeper meaning to his comments I think is he was knocking Jerry Jones for hiring these coaches - I mean it all starts with ownership hiring the right people and drafting and signing the right players. >>

and "perhaps" he did mention Jones but maybe it just wasn't posted here.
  • Options

<< <i>Emmitt telling it like it is...and he's right....and he didn't mention it, but the deeper meaning to his comments I think is he was knocking Jerry Jones for hiring these coaches - I mean it all starts with ownership hiring the right people and drafting and signing the right players. >>

You're right Steve and I agree!

You're pretty high functioning............ for an Eagles fanimage
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Sure, Emmitt is right, but Phillips isn't the real problem. Jerry Jones is. As long as he is the Cowboys' owner, the team will continue to flounder. God bless, Jerry, he really wants to win. He just has no clue how to do it. He fancies himself a legitimate football man and runs every aspect of the organization. If he would just back off and sign the checks, the franchise could become competitive. Jerry's ego, however, will never accept that role. Thus, continued heartache for ymarea.
    Brett
  • Options

<< <i>Sure, Emmitt is right, but Phillips isn't the real problem. Jerry Jones is. As long as he is the Cowboys' owner, the team will continue to flounder. God bless, Jerry, he really wants to win. He just has no clue how to do it. He fancies himself a legitimate football man and runs every aspect of the organization. If he would just back off and sign the checks, the franchise could become competitive. Jerry's ego, however, will never accept that role. Thus, continued heartache for ymarea. >>

When a good guy like Emmitt Smith starts dissing his former team, you know something is wrong...perhaps it's Emmitt's way of saying, 'Hey Jerry Jones you stupid egomaniac, you shoulda kept Jimmy Johnson and you woulda been a lot better off"
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why Jones wouldn't be opening up the check book for Cowher. I mean name one other coach that would instantly have credibility and would be able to make these guys have some discipline.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know why Jones wouldn't be opening up the check book for Cowher. I mean name one other coach that would instantly have credibility and would be able to make these guys have some discipline. >>

I agree! I would love to have Cowher as the next coach.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know why Jones wouldn't be opening up the check book for Cowher. I mean name one other coach that would instantly have credibility and would be able to make these guys have some discipline. >>

I agree! I would love to have Cowher as the next coach. >>

Please don't give Jerry Jones any ideas, okay? image

• Options
    The next Cowboys coach will be Mike Holmgren
  • Options
    Happy birthday Emmitt
  • Options
    Happy birthday Emmitt!
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Just curious--but did no one ever notice that Emmitt Smith's predictions (and all the posters--especially the Eagles fans who agreed with him) were Wrong about the 2009 Cowboys.

The Cowboys did better than 7 wins (Won 11 games and were also the NFC East Champs), and then DID break the winless streak in the playoffs--by thumping the Eagles 34-14.

As a special bonus, they also swept the Eagles during the regular season.

Now it's been bad luck ever sinceimage but it seemed funny to use this post as the "Birthday Ressurection post" since it was the one and only year in the last 5 years that the Cowboys did achieve a little bit of success.

In any event....Happy Birthday Emmitt!
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious--but did no one ever notice that Emmitt Smith's predictions (and all the posters--especially the Eagles fans who agreed with him) were Wrong about the 2009 Cowboys.

The Cowboys did better than 7 wins (Won 11 games and were also the NFC East Champs), and then DID break the winless streak in the playoffs--by thumping the Eagles 34-14.

As a special bonus, they also swept the Eagles during the regular season.

Now it's been bad luck ever sinceimage but it seemed funny to use this post as the "Birthday Ressurection post" since it was the one and only year in the last 5 years that the Cowboys did achieve a little bit of success.

In any event....Happy Birthday Emmitt! >>

It seems ex players are always harder on their former teams so nobody can accuse them of being homers.