Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cache of coins from Jewish revolt found in Israel

Cache of coins from Jewish revolt found in Israel
JERUSALEM (AFP) – Archaeologists in Israel have found the largest ever cache of rare coins from the time of the last Jewish revolt against the Romans, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem said on Wednesday.

The cache includes 120 gold, silver and bronze coins, as well as some pottery and weapons.

It was found in a cave in the Judaean Hills near Jerusalem that served as a hiding place for the Jewish fighters during the so-called Bar Kokhba revolt (132-136 CE), named after its leader.
"This discovery verifies the assumption that the refugees of the revolt fled to caves in the centre of a populated area in addition to the caves found in more isolated areas of the Judaean Desert," said Amos Frumkin of the Hebrew University.

Most of the coins are in excellent condition and "were overstruck as rebels' coins on top of Roman coins" with imprints showing Jewish images and words such as the facade of the Temple in Jerusalem and the slogan "for the freedom of Jerusalem," the university said in a statement.

Bar-Kokhba coins of this quality and quantity have never before been discovered in one location, it said.

LINK

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. It makes one wonder how many other caches of coins are hidden in Asia and Europe.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Bar Kochba gold coins? I've never heard of those. I'd love to see a picture of the recent find. image
  • Options
    Not only a very cool find but a most historic find. I'd love to get the chance to see them someday! The wife is hoping we can go to Israel this spring, so, who knows?!?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I had read the article earlier, just wish they had some photos.
  • Options
    I've grown more suspicious of these types of discoveries.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've grown more suspicious of these types of discoveries. >>

basis?
  • Options
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Thats it, I'm moving to Israel!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've grown more suspicious of these types of discoveries. >>

basis? >>

No personal experience, but I have several friends who are near the front of the line in terms of first access to ancient hoards.

From what I've been told, many of the hoards are authentic finds. But sometimes the stories are totally fabricated, and in some cases the coins themselves are fabricated too.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Anything found at Boaz Zissu's excavation should be from a controlled archaeological context and headed straight for the University museum or Antiquties bureau, not the coin market. Since it only seems to be another piece of the puzzle, rather than drastically redefining history, there would be little reason to falsify this find in any way.

Now if it showed up suddenly in an auction catalog, I'd be a lot more skeptical.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!