OK collectors of Canadian coins, let's take up a collection

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Wow, simply wow...... Some of those coins I'll never even hold in my hands...
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I don't collect specimens. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'd have gone for it if it was in Canuckie Dollars.
  • Options
    Interesting, but I just can't come to grips with values of these kinds of coins and sets; way out of my league.

I know Sandy Campbell from about 30 years ago at the Toronto shows-back when he was in my "bottom feeder" league-and I bought some very nice coins from him.

Sets like this one are not only too far out of my league to seriously contemplate buying but, frankly, not very interesting in the first place.

For that kind of money-which I couldn't spend in the first place, so this is entirely academic-I'd much rather have higher grade material in any number of series or countries.

Not so much quantity but a lot higher quality, even if I'm not the only person in the universe that has one of this or that no matter WHAT it is.

I just want material that's a pleasure to look at and show rather than so mint oddity that you have to into a dialogue like-" Yeah, granted it's ugly as home made soap, but just look at how thoroughly the mint screwed this baby up" image
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Sandy had the set in his case at the CNA convention. Pretty impressive sight.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never met Sandy but from his postings on the CCRS, which he now boycotts, I like the guy.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the guy.

Yes, I have heard nice things about Sandy, however, for the past few years, every time I have stopped by his table at the FUN show, I have been ignored whereas Michael Walsh and even Charles Moore have been very friendly to me.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA