Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Options
    Do we have to? Is it up to us? We let OUR justice system handle his prosecution. He served his time....and a NFL team owner forgave him.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    everyone in life deserves a second chance. until you've walked in his shoes for his entire life right up until the point that he did wrong, no one can claim that someone doesn't deserve one strike. he paid his debt. if he screws up again, i'll be first in line to say he should never see the light of day again.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I don't think it's my place to forgive or not forgive him. Having said that he did pay a heavy price for his deeds, and he does deserve a 2nd chance. Note I said 2nd chance, not 8th or 9th chance...if he messes up big again, lock him up & throw away the key!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Actions always speak louder than words. How he handles himself and what he does to atone will go along way in how I feel about him.

As far as a player if he performs well he will be "forgiven" by the NFL establishment and fans of at least his team.

I don't have to like anyone and his actions make me not like him, anyone claiming they didn't know what they were doing was wrong and it involved drowning dogs to me seems screwed up in the head and not someone I would "like" hanging out with.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As stated above he has paid a mighty heavy price for what he did. Not sure it's my place to forgive him but I certainly feel it's time for us all to move on to the next story. What if he makes a comeback in the NFL after serving time in jail!? That would be pretty amazing. I, for one, hope he has success in the NFL. Maybe this can become a positive story one day.
  • Options
    I can forgive him because it is in my nature and my Christian faith to do such....but is he really sorry for doing what he did...or is he sorry because he got caught? That's the part that I have trouble with. I guess the 1.6 million he will make this year will help him get through his mourning of what he did, right????
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the Vegas over/under for CU threads about Michael Vick during the football season? I think i saw where it was 150.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>What's the Vegas over/under for CU threads about Michael Vick during the football season? I think i saw where it was 150. >>

That's about 50 less than you would have started had he signed with the Cowboys, lol.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Its the horrible cruelty to animals and Vick's involvement,

...and I just cannot forgive him for that!

If he turns his life around, ...well that's just great!

As far as Vick getting a second chance in the NFL? That's bull!

As part of the terms of his parole,

Vick should have been made to "clean-out dirty dog kennels" for the next five years at $11 bucks an hour!

But I'm not totally unforgiving,

the courts could have also ordered that Vick would get medical coverage, along with his kennel job.

(...that's right, medical care from a veterinarian!)... image

rd

imageimageimageimageHeavy Fuel imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageWho Knows? imageimageimageimage
  • Options

In the Palm Beach Post sports section today!

Boy the Eagles and Vick are going to "milk" this to death!

Its funny, school boards around the country didn't want their students to hear a speech from our President directed to our children, yet its ok for students to listen to this scum bag! Something wrong here?

rd

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I'm of the opinion that has paid his due for his crime. He served his sentence. Since I have him on my fantasy football team, I hope he does well.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    He did the time.....he's been out for months........he's started to move on...... how 'bout we do the same?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's the Vegas over/under for CU threads about Michael Vick during the football season? I think i saw where it was 150. >>

That's about 50 less than you would have started had he signed with the Cowboys, lol. >>

Then the over/under would have been around 200. image

Go Michael Vick and Go Eagles - Bring us a Super Bowl win and then we'll have 4 NFL championship rings.
  • Options

<< <i>He did the time.....he's been out for months........he's started to move on...... how 'bout we do the same? >>

Its not that simple!

He's still in the spotlight, under a "large magnifying glass",

four months after his release,

all I have to do is open-up my local Florida newspaper's sports section,

and see Vick in a photo-opp, talking with students, trying to be a role model? Yikes!

(Maybe his opening remarks to students would be something like this?)

"Hi kids,

My name is Michael Vick, I got caught and went to jail for being a ringmaster of a large criminal enterprise, and I was partly responsible for some of the all-time worst animal cruelty charges dished out in the State of Georgia. But I only got 18 months in the penitentiary, they let me out, so I can talk to you kids, so I can become a role model for you!" ...

Ok! Go ahead and forgive him if you want to!

But just because he's out of prison for (4) months now, he's far from being rehabilitated,

and in my opinion, keep him away from children, (at least waint until he is completely proved to be rehabilitated!) ...

So Vicks, started to move on?

And wants to talk with kids? I doubt it, I'd wager it was set up by others, not Vick himself.

Well then, let the Eagles set-up talks with Vick and juvenile delinquent groups, but not regular school kids!

What's next?

We let Charlie Manson out on parole,

so he can talk to youth groups, about not becoming a mass murderer,

and staying out of our prison system?

They both are mass murderers!

Manson mass-murdered people,

Vick mass-murdered dogs,

Vick also ran a large criminal enterprise, without regard to his public image as a NFL star player.

He's a bad role model for kids! Don't you think?

Pleeeeeeze, keep him away from our kids!

The school system can find better role models, to speak to their students than Michael Vick.

"Kids don't need an ex-con, just out of the joint as their role model"!

Ok, I'm moving on LOL!,

but this is a zillion times bigger than this thread,

and its (Vick in public) is not going away anytime soon.

Respectfully, for those who feel the need to move on, do it!

Maybe if Vick donated 1.4 million of his annual Eagles salary to the ASPCA and the Humane Society,

and struggled to live on a meager 200K per year.

He could get my attention then! image

rd

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    no
  • Options

<< <i>[

Manson mass-murdered people,

Vick mass-murdered dogs,

rd >>

You're one of those people that takes their dogs to get "deep tissue massages" and buys them diamond studded collars, huh?

Obviously what he did is wrong, no doubt about it! But I just fail to see the point of a thread on the topic right now.
  • Options

<< <i>You're one of those people that takes their dogs to get "deep tissue massages" and buys them diamond studded collars, huh? >>

don't have too own a dog to hate that scumbag!

But I'd love a deep tissue massage!

A diamond studded collar? image

silly goot!

• Options
    There's someone killing horses in South Florida and taking the meat (19 so far). They said that these horses are not even dead before they're cut into pieces. I don't want this person(s) to get caught by the police and go through the justice system, I would much rather someone catch him in the act and kill him.

I'm sure that some people would give this scum a second chance too.

I have no tolerance for people that are cruel to animals.
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options

<< <i>There's someone killing horses in South Florida and taking the meat (19 so far). They said that these horses are not even dead before they're cut into pieces. I don't want this person(s) to get caught by the police and go through the justice system, I would much rather someone catch him in the act and kill him. I'm sure that some people would give this scum a second chance too. I have no tolerance for people that are cruel to animals. >>

This has been going on here in South Florida for years now! Just not as blatantly and brutally as now! Compare these slaughters to a "smash and grab". These thieves are killing these horses "lightning fast", then a "butchering on steroids" action is performed in a horrible medieval manner!

Totally nuts!

The multi-cultured foreign society now established here in South Florida, have been able to eat horse meat in their home countries, as in many of those foreign places, horse meat is legal.

And selling horse meat here in the USA is illegal.

The underground horse meat trade has been going on here for years, and plenty of individuals and I'm sure certain ethnic restaurants are eager buyers of fresh horse meat at prices easily $20 a pound and I've read, lately people will pay $40 a pound.

As long as there are people who have a "well-established taste for horse meat" and are willing to pay for it through the underground.

Think about all the locals (foreign gangs & thugs) that see horses as some "yummy meat" that means nothing more to them than big bucks, .....maybe thousands of dollars per slaughtered horse? And a "big payday" for these young gangsters!

What took place secretly, with horse killings that went unreported, has escalated into this ugly public illegal slaughtering!

As disgusting as this is. 19 reported slaughterings is "just the tip of the iceberg"!

From what I have read the killings are mostly unreported and "tons more" than the 19 mentioned.

Something needs to be done. There is a desire for the meat, by cultures that think of a horse as a "cow, sheep, pig or chicken", or as a "steak, lamb chop, bacon or fried chicken"! (Do not mention "philly cheeeeeeze steak" down here, as this is not Philadelphia!)

Oh man!

rd

• Options
    They go into the stalls and chop the horses legs off with a machete. Then while the horse lays there bleeding to death but still very much alive, they carve off the meat that they want.

Slamming dogs on the ground so hard that their ribs break and hanging them in trees when they lose a fight.

Go ahead and give these people a second chance, not me.
  • Options
    I have been an Eagle fan since childhood. Among Eagles fans, I appear to be in the minority in that I would rather see the Eagles lose with McNabb, Kolb, or Kafka than win with Vick. Lots of people - namely myopic Eagles fans and NFL fans - seem to want to give Vick a pass because he's successful. He's surely accepted by Pro Bowl voters. I think the association of my Eagles with this career thug continues to drag down the name and reputation of this storied Philadelphia Eagles franchise (estd. 1933).

I think it's laughable when people say, "Hey, everyone deserves a second chance." LOL. That person is either uninformed and hasn't thought things through. Just look at Vick's history. It's about a fifteenth chance, not a second one.

Long-term good behavior may change my outlook and show that he really is a changed person. Consider the history - the entire history. It's about more than torturing dogs. No team is going to have a 53-man roster of angels. Vick is an unacceptable outlier. Despite winning and the passage of time, I am still embarrassed that Michael Vick is the starting quarterback for my football team.

Integrity means more than winning.
  • Options
    May not be my place, but no, and I think he has had more than one chance.
  • Options

<< <i>I have been an Eagle fan since childhood. Among Eagles fans, I appear to be in the minority in that I would rather see the Eagles lose with McNabb, Kolb, or Kafka than win with Vick. Lots of people - namely myopic Eagles fans and NFL fans - seem to want to give Vick a pass because he's successful. He's surely accepted by Pro Bowl voters. I think the association of my Eagles with this career thug continues to drag down the name and reputation of this storied Philadelphia Eagles franchise (estd. 1933).

I think it's laughable when people say, "Hey, everyone deserves a second chance." LOL. That person is either uninformed and hasn't thought things through. Just look at Vick's history. It's about a fifteenth chance, not a second one.

Long-term good behavior may change my outlook and show that he really is a changed person. Consider the history - the entire history. It's about more than torturing dogs. No team is going to have a 53-man roster of angels. Vick is an unacceptable outlier. Despite winning and the passage of time, I am still embarrassed that Michael Vick is the starting quarterback for my football team.

Integrity means more than winning. >>

Sorry man...I gotta disagree with ya. I was against Vick coming to the Eagles for reasons noted, but mainly because I thought he couldn't win. But ya gotta give credit where credit is due...Vick has turned his life around in every which way...and frankly it's football, we're not talking about playing chess or a gentleman's game of golf...we're talking about football...an extremely violent game played by tough guys who are often motivated by money and the ability to beat the crap out of their opponent. It's great entertainment, true gladiators...and to me I accept it as such...and enjoy it for what it is.

If anyone is into the sports hero worship thing, then Vick will likely never make them happy. I've never been into that even as a kid. I admire the talents of great athletes and they are fun to watch, but to me, the true heros in society are the men and women in the armed forces, and the men and women who diligently work 40 hour plus weeks, year after year, to provide for their families...as well as others who contribute their time and energy to charities and other worthy endeavors.

I've seen and listened to a number of Michael Vick interviews...he just has the type of personaliity that just grates on me a little bit, and I may never like him personally, and I'm not gonna forget what he did to those poor dogs and I love dogs as much as anybody...but each and every Eagles game...as far as I'm concerned, i'll be rooting for him because he is an Eagle.

So for me, The Eagles and Michael Vick is great entertainment, and if the Eagles win a Super Bowl with Michael Vick, I will be just as happy as if they had done it with the nicest quarterback who ever lived.
  • Options
    One thing I've always been confused at with all the 2nd Chance talk. Many people simply can not get a job coming out of jail and prison yet this guy gets right out and plays in the NFL. With everything that's in place he has every right to. I'm just surprised the NFL allows these guys to play in the league after such crimes. The league does not need Vick. Obviously the Philly team needs Vick; but the league does not. To make my point...in a couple of jobs I've had....if you committed any felony, violent crime, stealing, restraining order----you were fired. No exceptions. I just think the second chance or 9th chance should not be presented on a silver platter.

Mickey71
  • Options
    Also, way to early for him talking to our youth. He needs way more time to get right than this.
  • Options
    My answer to the question in the thread title: "Yes".

My answer to "Do I want Michael Vick representing my team?": "No".
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Luckily, I don't have to forgive him. He doesn't need my forgiveness. But I don't think he should be playing in the NFL with that on his resume.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
  • Options

<< <i>yes >>

A Perkdog check-in? What! Even if you had disagreed with me, it would be nice seeing your post anyway, Paul. Glad you're "here".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>yes >>

A Perkdog check-in? What! Even if you had disagreed with me, it would be nice seeing your post anyway, Paul. Glad you're "here". >>

Hello Keith, Im not really posting much but nice to see some familiar faces.

Happy Holidays and hope all is well with you and your family.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbdjr1 - you have a real problem!

Comparing Vick to Manson!!! Like fighting dogs is the same as slaughtering men women who are pregnant.

Like they say on the sports channel "Come on man"!!!

Like others have said.......he paid his debt...........move on and let him be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me there are a LOT worse people on the street!!