Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Your PSA Submissions - Do You Send Registered Mail Or Not?

Do you send in your PSA Submissions Registered, Insured Mail as PSA recommends or not? I have done it both ways - Registered and Priority, Insured and Uninsured.

One reason that I have done things other than Registered, Insured is because it's a pain to find and use the brown packing tape USPS requires cover the outside of the entire box for Registered Mail, and Registered is typically slower than Priority.

Right now I'm sweating it out as I sent two nice submissions to PSA in one box Priority UNinsured 10 days ago. PSA has not received it yet.

Edited: I meant to post this in the "Sports Cards And Memorabilia" forum.

Comments

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I send USPS priority and have not had a problem.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I send USPS priority and have not had a problem. >>

Me too, USPS Priority with DC and Ins., works every time. Registered mail is such a pain, and it's really for your own protection and peace of mind. Registered Mail is "tamper-proof", meaning if someone breaks into your package, it would be noticeable. If someone were to break into your Priority package, they could just re-tape it and nobody would ever know. It's up to you.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I send USPS priority and have not had a problem. >>

yep. I add dc and insurance and I ship. Gets there in 2 days as opposed to up to 2 weeks with registered.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    I always send with Delivery Confirmation, so I know when PSA has it. Sometimes, it takes a while for the submission to get entered into the database, but I at least know they have the package.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Same as most of the above posters ... I send Priority Mail, DC and have had no problems so far. I have sent in only 5 or 6 submissions, but so far so good.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I've sent all of my submissions in via Fedex Ground without any problems. I thought the only other option was USPS Registered, which is certainly a hassle as others have indicated, but will check out USPS Priority next time if that is another option.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    I use USPS priority flat-rate boxes + DC + insurance -- I also reinforce with clear tape.

I got tired of gluing myself to my desk prepping registered boxes image

Scott
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    You sure they haven't received it? You didn't mention whether you used delivery confirmation, but they have been consistently behind logging in orders. If you didn't write the service level(s) on the outside of your box, that will delay them even further.

I had a sub delivered Thursday and it still hasn't been logged in.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be the one with bad news, but about 2 and half years ago I sent in 3 submissions in one box. I decided to send them FedEx overnight so I could get them back a little quicker. When PSA got the box from FedEx, there were only 2 of the 3 submission in the box. The box had been re-taped, but there was nothing PSA could do about the situation as they could not prove that FedEx tampered with the box. I lost a couple of cards that I have yet to find suitable replacements and the cards that I could replace cost me nearly $500. I guess that I may be part of the reason PSA now asks for number of submissions and items on their submission forms. Since then, I have sent every submission via registered insured mail. It is a pain, but I have not had any problems since then. I have gotten real handy with the brown tape though. image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sent both registered and priority mail with DC. Both seem to work equally well, though Priority mail is easier to prepare. I sent my recent order under 'registered' service because I underinsured it (mostly low pop commons that I didn't want to spend extra money insuring). The registered mail service means each handler has to sign for the package. So if anything happens to the package or contents, the carriers have to answer for it.

If you're sending in a very expensive card like a '52 Topps Mantle, registered mail is probably the best bet. Otherwise, Priority is an acceptable alternative.
  • Options
    Even if my one package of two submissions shows up today, I will still be wishing that I would have insured it. That's because it would have been worth the peace of mind to not be sweating it out like I am now. I didn't buy insurance on that day because I thought "USPS has never lost anything of mine, so why buy insurance again?"

My sub was sent 8/29, and PSA Customer Service replied to my e-mail this morning saying no receipt yet. It's not exactly a submittal of high POP badly-creased beaters that I had delivered to PSA either. There's certainly not a Steve Jeltz nor Mike Mamula card in the bunch.

Kingnascar, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, especially the irreplaceables. That's awful. On the bright side, a poster PM'ed me stating that he sent in a sub on 8/31 and it just showed up today. Anchorage to Newport Beach might take just a day longer. Time to go get some brown tape now... image -Keith
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I;ve always used priority w/ ins & dc. Works for me!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I always use registered mail (priority option) and insure it for the exact amount that I put on the submission form. I still worry..... image
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    USPS Priority mail and always get a nominal amount of insurance. I think having the "insured" sticker on the package makes the postal service exercise special care.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I also still write the service level on the outside of the box... on all sides, and my cards seem to be logged either the same day or the day after my DC says it arrived.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    My third-party insurance requires different shipping treatment depending on the value of the package. Up to a certain value I don't need any confirmation, beyond that to a certain value I need signature confirmation, and at very high values I need to mail the cards registered. I used to register packages more often, just for the peace of mind, but it can be so slow that it kills my peace of mind anyway.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    PSA suggests registered mail because it's the safest most secure way of shipping your cards. If you ship any other way the possibility of a problem increases as the cost to ship decreases. While you think you might be willing to risk your shipment to PSA in a PWE, PSA knows they'll get the call complaining if your package never shows up. The loss could have been avoided if you shipped in a safer manner. DC, SC, Insured, are all good, but Registered is the safest.
  • Options
    OK, I find it valuable to know that many PSA submitters choose not to use Registered Mail. The post about sending Priority Mail and buying only a nominal amount of insurance which generates an "Insured" sticker so that USPS exercises care is noteworthy.

Although it now shows that PSA logged in my order, the whole process seemed to take longer than it has in the past (perhaps due to USPS) so with future submissions I'm going to proceed more cautiously as to not leave anything to worry. Heck, yesterday I was to the point where I figured my raw '33 Goudey Ruth in that box was gone and I was about to search for a replacement. It would be harder to replace the high grade I expect to receive on the raw '57 Paul Hornung RC packed in the same stash.

I think I misplaced this thread in the "PSA Set Registry Forum" upon origination. Therefore to keep things germane, I'll post my submission results here since most or all of the eleven cards will be added to my respective Registries. Nice input from others above!

Closing with a card I sent in for review on my last sub, now an 8.5:
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>USPS Priority mail and always get a nominal amount of insurance. I think having the "insured" sticker on the package makes the postal service exercise special care. >>

Sadly it doesn't really get any special care. All the sticker gets you is a little easier time if something goes wrong. I hate to type that, because it's not how it should be - but it's true.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I send everything registered----why take a chance? I hate priority mail as it is a waste of money and it rarely gets there any faster than first class mail. I once had a letter mailed priority take 10 days to go from Maryland to NJ! As far as Delivery Confirmation,there is a general perception that a letter can be tracked. It cannot----it only can confirms that the letter arrived, not where it is in the system. With registered mail,it can be tracked.
  • Options
    I allways use registered mail for valuable cards. I got a roll of brown tape from the clerk at the post office and have gotten better with it each time. The only time I didn't use registered was for a free 2-card submission that I sent in a photo mailer or something.
    Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...
  • Options
    I use both Registered and Priority, on submissions worth less than $500 I go Priority, on anything above that I use Registered. I have sent bulk subs in that were a declared value over 12k and I would only trust Registered for my peace of mind. I want my cards safe who cares about a couple days sooner.

It took a while but I now prefer the Brown tape, it's cheap and darn near indestructable. I use it on all my subs.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I've used both.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i> It took a while but I now prefer the Brown tape, it's cheap and darn near indestructable. I use it on all my subs. >>

I've actually started using the brown tape for some non-registered packages, also. I try to reuse boxes, but the used ones can get kind of ugly with all the labels and whatnot. The brown tape covers up the old markings and labels nicely.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> It took a while but I now prefer the Brown tape, it's cheap and darn near indestructable. I use it on all my subs. >>

I've actually started using the brown tape for some non-registered packages, also. I try to reuse boxes, but the used ones can get kind of ugly with all the labels and whatnot. The brown tape covers up the old markings and labels nicely. >>

I wonder who has to lick the back of all that brown tape PSA uses...

Do you think that kind of job comes with a benefit package?

• Options

<< <i>Do you think that kind of job comes with a benefit package? >>

It would have to--think of all the paper cuts.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    You can buy rolls of self adhesive brown packing tape at Uhaul stores. Rolls measure 1.9 in x 55yards and cost $3.85. No more licking!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    usps priority all the time.never a problem,
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)