Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

FSH: Bunch of Papal Medals

I've decided to trim off a good portion of my collection and am listing here before trying other venues. All good faith offers will be considered. Payment accepted by check, money order, or PayPal. Insured U.S. shipping included in the prices. Any questions, please send a PM! I will try to say a brief word on conditions, but please see the images to form your own opinions. Oftentimes my images aren't the best, so of course there is a full 7-day return privilege.

1746 Benedict XIV Annual Medal - $ 200

Bronze, 39.5 mm Ø, 25.9 g

Annual medal for the sixth year of Benedict XIV's reign (1746), commemorating the canonization of five new saints. A nice medal in good EF condition, struck from good quality dies. With a pleasing light patination and a lack of serious die flaws, this example is probably a somewhat early strike.

1761 Clement XIII Bronze Annual Medal - $ 250

Bronze, 35 mm Ø, 20.0 g

Annual medal for the third year of Clement XIII's reign (1761), engraved by Ferdinando Hamerani. The medal commemorates the opening of "Calata Maggiore", a large new pier at the port of Civitavecchia, directly across from the Porta Livorno (Livorno Gate), a main entranceway. The new pier was of sufficient size to allow for the docking of multiple ships at the same time, as illustrated on the reverse. The need for increased capacity came from the general security at the port, illustrated here by the men standing guard. The Livorno Gate, shown in the background, allowed for easy and quick access for the port workers. The reverse inscription roughly translates as "Benefit of Imported Goods". The bright red color could lead to a conclusion that this example is an early strike.

An increasing amount of trade at the port of Civitavecchia led to the need for greater space and facilities. This increase in trade was primarily because of the safety that the port offered from the usual pirate activities due to efforts of the papal navy. Clement XIII ordered the necessary construction and upgrading of port facilities due to solicitations by the University of Traders. The work was completed in 1761, and the new "Calata Maggiore" had room for multiple ships to dock at the same time, allowing for more efficient loading and unloading. The new pier was constructed directly across from the Livorno Gate, allowing for quick and easy access to the pier by the dock workers. New warehouses were also built near the dock to solve the problem of storing the large amount of trade goods.

A nice medal in solid AU condition, struck from excellent quality dies. The quality of the strike and fire-red finish of the piece points almost definitively to an original strike.

Pius IX, 1865 Large White Metal Medallion - $ 250

White Metal, 82 mm Ø

Large medallion commemorating the restoration of the exterior of St. Paul's Basilica. A presumably special prooflike white metal strike, it is housed in an old wooden frame. It is unknown whether the back of the medal features a design (presumably the bust of Pius IX) or is plain.

Group of 1 John XXIII & 8 Paul VI Bronze Annual Medals - $ 100

A total of nine bronze annual medals, as follows:
- John XXIII, Regnal Year 5
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 1
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 2
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 3
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 4
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 5
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 9
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 12
- Paul VI, Regnal Year 14

Benedict XVI, 2008 Bronze Medal - Visit to the U.S. - $ 200

Bronze, 50 mm Ø, 73.4 g

Special bronze medal commemorating the visit of the Benedict XVI to the United States on April 15-20, 2008. Accompanied by its original case.

Thanks for browsing!

Comments

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Just a little plug for long time contributor Josephus and ttt. I received the other Pius VII medal yesterday and was happy to cross one of the 30 or so 19th century silver annuals still on my want list. More importantly, I was delighted by the quality; much better than in the pic. And, his care in packing was beyond belief (in a box). I wish that there were other silvers on his list that I could use, but would encourage anyone thinking about this series to look these over carefully.

I think that they're also on ebay now as well.

Thanks again Joe!

imageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
  • I wish I knew something about these medals. The are very VERY nice! I'm sorry I can't purchase any of these just now, but thank you for posting them. Just examining the images has been wonderful. I was really taken with the reverse of the Pius IX, 1854 Large Bronze Medallion.

Best of luck.

Bob
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    pm sent
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • i Really like that urban VIII
    ~William
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the kind words and interest. I've added two more items, reduced some prices, and removed all of the sold items.