Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Greatest hero ever...

Please share yours.

Mine.. bar none Terry Fox

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Father.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>My Father. >>

Dueces ... you beat me to it! By far, my dad as well

Edited to add: I remember when this happened. Terry Fox was such an inspiration to me as well as to many others. I cannot believe it has been 28 years since this young man died. What a fighter! It is people like him and my little girl that inspire me to train for the Marathons and Triathlons to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society so we can find a cure for ALL CANCERS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember that Rod Stewart recorded a song entitled "Never Give Up on your Dreams," back in the early 1980's that was inspired by Terry Fox
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    my Mom,

Dad died when I was 10.. she did more with less then I could imagine

lost her too about 7 years ago.. but I speak to her every day in my head
  • My Mamaw,

One of 10 kids. Only family member to not get the flu during the influenza epidimic in the 20's or 30's (whenever it was). Buried 5 of her siblings while taking care of her sick parents, going to school and maintaining the family farm. Then raised my mother by herself after her husband passed when my mom was 2 years old. Also took care of me when I was a kid while my parents were working and got me started in sports. She loved baseball.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Inspirational video

Ditto, on my dad
    Loved his wife and kids, even today I go to him for advice. I've tried to model my life after his.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    tie.....my Grandma and my Grandpa.......it could be my Dad, but Grandpa survived a 6-month stay in a Nazi internment camp.

somehow, Grandma convinced them to set him free.

they all arrived at Ellis Island July 2, 1939, my Dad's first birthday.....

i think more than anything, i respect my Dad because of his unlimited lifetime commitment to strengthening the Jewish community, but without the efforts of his parents, i wouldn't be contributing to this thread.
  • These two men are pretty inspirational also: The Hoyts
    I believe the dad is almost 60 now.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    My mother.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • I was on my first job away from home when I was 17 in 84, Working as a deck hand in the Beaufort Sea. We were half a mile from the Terry Fox ice breaker for 3 days, it's an amazing ship. The crew was locked inside because they attracted 3 polar bears while burning garbage on the deck. image

When I saw that brand new ship up close, it just hit me right then and there, Terry Fox is the greatest hero of my time.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These two men are pretty inspirational also: The Hoyts
    I believe the dad is almost 60 now. >>

The father in that video is a wonderful man . His is a great story .

I know this is going to sound stupid , but our sons our my heroes . Our older sons have done so much for others in their lives , that now I sit back and watch with wonder. I know some would say its a tribute to us , but I contend its a tribute to their hearts and souls.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Aqua man.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Hero I would say Batman, but reality hero hands down my DAD!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

THE HOYTS are AMAZING! I have raced a couple of Triathlons where they were in the race as well. Dad is 65 and son is 47. The night before the race, as I was getting my bike into the transition area, I looked to my right and I saw their bike ... I got the chills just looking at their bike. The next day we crossed paths during the race ... I was clapping for them as I was racing!!!!

Edited to add: If you don't have tears in your eyes when you watch their video .....
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    My Dad and My Son. My Dad for all he did for our family and for fighting in WWII. My son for overcoming cancer and changing his pitching arm from righty to lefty so he could continue to pitch.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>Just toooooooo many of the greatest heros ever!

rd

imageimageimageimageHeavy Fuel imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageWho Knows? imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageSweet Home Alabama imageimageimageimage >>

You're lookin at em!!!!

one of my favorite photo's and my desktop screen

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Hard to say, but John Brown ranks right up there:

"To have interfered, as I have always freely admitted I have done, in behalf of the despised poor, was not wrong, but right. If it is deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life and mingle it with the blood of millions of slaves whose rights are disregarded by wicked, cruel, and unjust enactments, I submit. Let it be done."

John Brown, 1859
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Hoyt video is awesome, I'd put that guy on a short list headed by Jesus.

"Molon Labe"

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Time Magazine's 20 Hereos & Icons, last 100 years

rd

It would be tough to improve on a hero better than Mother Teresa! She went way beyond being an all-time heroine!

Muhammad Ali
    The American G.I.
    Diana, Princess of Wales
    Anne Frank
    Billy Graham
    Che Guevara
    E. Hillary & T. Norgay
    Helen Keller
    The Kennedys
    Bruce Lee
    Charles Lindbergh
    Harvey MIlk
    Marilyn Monroe
    Mother Teresa
    Emmeline Pankhurst
    Rosa Parks
    Pelé
    Andrei Sakharov
    Jackie Robinson
    Bill Wilson

imageimageimageimageSweet Home Alabama imageimageimageimage
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    CDNUTS

Anyone willing to take a 50k loss cuz a deal is a deal is my hero.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I'll take the guys that went into the twin towers on 9/11 to rescue people, knowing full well they had a darned good shot at not coming out. For that matter, I'll take a firefighter that goes into ANY house to rescue someone. It takes courage beyond which I will never have.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Some really great responses, it doesn't surprise me that so many guys pick their parents and grandparents.

Thanks to those who added a small story telling why they think that. image

Time Magazine should know better than to mix heros with icons??? image

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll take the guys that went into the twin towers on 9/11 to rescue people, knowing full well they had a darned good shot at not coming out. For that matter, I'll take a firefighter that goes into ANY house to rescue someone. It takes courage beyond which I will never have. >>

on my short list too!

rd

P.S. Not to even compare him to those Twin Towers rescue heroes, but on a lighter side, remember Philippe Petit? He held every New Yorker completely spellbound for a day! He was the Twin Towers' earliest hero! Tight roping between the Twin Towers! Wow!

Now a pretty sad memory, when you really think of it?

• My Mom hands down. She took care of the family, worked 50 hours a week after my dad retired (he was a great guy too) then when my dad was sick she took care of him.. When she got sick I took care of both of them. Such is life. My folks never complained about anything, they were happy with the small stuff and didnt sweat the big stuff. I miss them terribley.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    John Lennon...
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt, the Greatest American Hero is......Ralph Hinkley

The Greatest American Hero is about Ralph Hinkley, a school teacher who’s given a superhero suit by aliens. But he loses the instruction book and struggles with his new powers as he tries to save the world. It’s great stuff. It’s a parody of other superheroes. The creator, Stephen J. Cannell, purposefully made the suit look ridiculous.
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Hands down, my Mom. She was handicapped, confined to a wheelchair most of her life. The one thing she wanted in life was a child. When she found out she was pregnant with me, the doctors told her either abort me or that chances were that having a child would kill her. On April 9th, 1969, my Mom passed. I was 11 days old. Even though she is gone, she has been with me every day of my life.

Trent, on another note relating to Terry Fox, I must find my 8th grade yearbook. We were looking for a theme for graduation that year and I suggested, "People die, dreams don't" and it was chosen by my class. I am pretty sure that
    the picture of our theme banner was in the yearbook. When I come across it again, I will post a picture.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh god. Now I'm gonna have that "Believe it or Not" song stuck in my head all day. Thanks.

Hey, remember when George Costanza used that song on his answering machine?
  • What's a team gotta do to get some respect???
    we ready!
  • billwalton- and thanks to YOU i got a really bad Godpop song in my head for life.......
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh god. Now I'm gonna have that "Believe it or Not" song stuck in my head all day. Thanks. >>

Yeah, but the smile I brought to your face when you saw the pic was priceless!
  • Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other cancer patients, many of them young children, that he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research.

He would call his journey the Marathon of Hope.

To date, more than $400 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research in Terry's name through the annual Terry Fox Run, held across Canada and around the world.

• Hey Steve, that would be great to see a pic from your 81 yearbook. image

I decided to dig mine out and have a look, but was only reminded of how stupid I looked when I was 14, lol.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Hey, check out the Pythons on Barry... I bet he could crush them aluminium handlebars into a Stainless Steel ball bearing.

Only people like Barry make the difference. Thanks Barry.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Great Photo

Better story

This one tugs at the heart

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SERVE
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    joan baez.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Mom and Dad. hands down. no competition from athletes or celebs or posers.

• << <i>My Father. >>

2deuces, i see your sig line, nice way to honor your father..
    i was curious was he a collector? did you inherit most of the t206 from him?
    thanks for your response

• << <i>

The father in that video is a wonderful man . His is a great story .

I know this is going to sound stupid , but our sons our my heroes . Our older sons have done so much for others in their lives , that now I sit back and watch with wonder. I know some would say its a tribute to us , but I contend its a tribute to their hearts and souls. >>

please ellaborate on this one...."sonny"