Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some Coin Questions

Hello guys and gals, I was directed to your forum from another forum I frequent. I recently recieved my grandfathers coins that he collected through World War Two. Some of them appear to be very old and in very good condition. I have over 100 coins from all over Europe, some dating back to 1697. I will post the few that are in almost mint condition. I was looking to see if any of you guys might know where they are from, what they might be worth, and perhaps how rare they are. I did a ton of googling around to see what I could find, I found out that the one from 1697 is a Five Shilling coin? Also the first one that I have posted is apparently worth $2,500 dollars? Correct me if I am wrong on either of those.

Not really sure if that is how this forum works but her goes.

Not sure where this one is from... or its date.

Kind of blurry, sorry.

I know this one isn't in the best condition, but it appears to be from 1771.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The first coin is a Crown dated 1821 from Great Britain (St. George on a horse slaying the dragon). This is a silver coin and should be worth at least $20, depending on the condition of the other side.

The second coin is Turkish - from the Ottoman Empire. I will leave this for others, appears to be copper. We would probably need to see the other side to fully identify the coin - but then again these folks here are sharp!

The third coin is a English token from 1794 - often referred to as a Conder token. This one features the cross of Chichester, Sussex and was made for the merchant Dally & Son. It should feature the bust of Queen Elizabeth I on the other side. Hard to tell from the picture but should be worth $15-$20 at any rate. These come with lettering on the edge of the coin, and depending on what is written on the edge could be worth more.

The fourth coin is a German 1 Mark coin from 1874. This is also a silver coin.

The fifth coin is also English. Without referring to my books it appears to be a Shilling from 1697, but as I do not collect these that far back in history I could likely be wrong on the denomination.

The sixth coin is also English - it appears to be a half-penny from 1771. It would be interesting to see a picture of the other side.

The last one I do not recognize - what does the other side look like? Others here should be able to identify the coin from just this 1 side.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and by the way, Hi! Glad to have you here. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Haha, thank you. I was hoping they would be worth a bit more, but I guess 1800's isn't that long ago in the terms of money. Thanks for the info though!

Oh and it looks like the Condor token has nothing on the side... must of worn off.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    The denomination of the Ottoman one is 20 para, copper. We'll need to see the other side for further details, but I believe it is likely a type from the 1860s and worth maybe a dollar or two in that condition.

If no one has recommended it yet and you have a lot of coins to ID, try finding a copy of The Standard Catalog of World Coins published by (and referred to as) Krause. There is a separate volume for each century back to 1600, most are pretty well illustrated, complete with specifications, metal content and current market values (which are not always accurate, use them as a guide only). Most decent libraries and chain bookstores usually have a copy that you can browse. But by all means, feel free to continue posting here too image

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search! Even if the coins aren't all worth a mint, the family connection still makes them interesting image
  • Options
    Hi and welcome to the forums!
    I can only speak for the 1 Mark as I have a few myself...
    1874 is not a particularly difficult date and was minted at practically all the major mints with the exception of Hamburg:
    A= Berlin 6.3 Mil, B= Hannover 2.7 Mil, C= Frankfurt 0.8 Mil, D= Munich 7.1 Mil, E= Dresden 3.6 Mil, F= Stuttgart 3.2 Mil, G= Karlsruhe 4.2 Mil, H= Darmstadt 1.9 Mil.
    In that condition which looks perhaps VF it is probably not worth more that $20 even in the rarest mintage which would be Frankfurt.
    In XF it could be worth as much as $270 in Frankfurt mint. There is also a small H (Darmstadt minted) for that year that would be worth perhaps $220 in XF. Hard to tell the condition from that pic though...
    Good luck in your collecting!
    Jim
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last one is a Canadian medal commemorating their 60th anniversary of confederation, 1927. The smaller ones are common, the larger ones are scarcer.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    I have about 100 other coins but not really sure if they are worth taking the pics and posting as many of them are now just copper/silver discs with all features warn off.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum, as spoon said, it would be good to get a copy of the Krause Catalog. You will have lots of fun identifying your coins!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to the forum, as spoon said, it would be good to get a copy of the Krause Catalog. >>

Before making the substantial investment in a set of Krause catalogs, try your local public library. Even if they don't have a particular volume, they can order it on inter-library loan.

<< <i>You will have lots of fun identifying your coins! >>

Roy