Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Basic set vs Master set compositions

I'm trying to figure out exactly what cards go into a basic vs master set of players. I know that any composition items must be within the year range of when the player played. I am also aware that there are a lot of "oddball" issues such as stamps, photostamps, discs, etc, etc that would obviously go into a master set, but not a basic set. I am interested in one particular player that has IMO at least a few cards missing from his basic set, yet appear in his master set. I know how to request an addition to either the basic or master, but to avoid wasting time, etc, I'd like to be more informed as to what PSA considers a basic addition or a master addition.

Thanks.

Comments

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Player Sets:
    In general, player sets consist of cards for that player which were manufactured during the player's play years. Exceptions: Many companies produce cards for players the year after the player has retired. These cards will be allowed if they list the previous year's stats for that player on the back of the card or were manufactured expressly to depict activity from the previous and final play year. In addition, there are a few vintage sets that may list one or two cards past the play years. These cards are allowed due to their extreme popularity. For example, in the Babe Ruth Basic Set, the 1948 Leaf is listed even though Ruth retired in 1935. Player sets in the miscellaneous sports category may include some post-retirement dated cards due to limited availability of play years cards.

Basic Player Sets:
    Cards in basic sets include only the most popularly issued manufacturers and are closed for updates. Basic sets do not include cards from Parallel Sets, Insert Sets, or Parallel/Inserts Sets. Special cards and league leader cards are not included.

Cards for the basic baseball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK. Pre-war vintage sets may also include issues from CRACKER JACK, GOUDEY, PLAY BALL, SPORTING LIFE & NEWS, T202, T205, T206, and US CARAMEL.

Cards for the basic football player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, BOWMAN CHROME, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF (1948-49), PINNACLE, PHILADELPHIA (1964-67), PRO SET, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, SPX, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, TOPPS CHROME, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

Cards for the basic basketball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, FINEST, FLEER/FLEER TRADIITION, HOOPS, SKYBOX, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

Cards for the basic hockey player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FLEER/FLEER TRADIITION, LEAF, OPC, OPC PREMIER, PARKHURST, PINNACLE, PRO SET, SCORE, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, and UPPER DECK.

Basic & Collector Issues Player Sets:
    These sets, for modern players (post-1971), include all cards defined as a "Main Set" cards (promos, prototypes and test sets excluded), but do not include cards from Parallel Sets, Insert Sets, or Parallel/Inserts Sets. Special cards and league leader cards are not included.

Master Player Sets:
    All cards, with the exception of unique or very limited edition cards, are accepted in the Master player sets. If a player is featured on a team set card, it will be allowed. Cards which may feature a player in the background but make no mention of the player on the card are not allowed. In addition, some handcut/panel/perforated issues may only be used in one slot and may not be required in multiple slots. If you are uncertain that your card qualifies, please email setregistry@collectors.com for confirmation.

Due to time constraints, player sets can take 12 months or longer before they go online. Your patience is appreciated.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Player Sets:
    In general, player sets consist of cards for that player which were manufactured during the player's play years. Exceptions: Many companies produce cards for players the year after the player has retired. These cards will be allowed if they list the previous year's stats for that player on the back of the card or were manufactured expressly to depict activity from the previous and final play year. In addition, there are a few vintage sets that may list one or two cards past the play years. These cards are allowed due to their extreme popularity. For example, in the Babe Ruth Basic Set, the 1948 Leaf is listed even though Ruth retired in 1935. Player sets in the miscellaneous sports category may include some post-retirement dated cards due to limited availability of play years cards.

Basic Player Sets:
    Cards in basic sets include only the most popularly issued manufacturers and are closed for updates. Basic sets do not include cards from Parallel Sets, Insert Sets, or Parallel/Inserts Sets. Special cards and league leader cards are not included.

Cards for the basic baseball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK. Pre-war vintage sets may also include issues from CRACKER JACK, GOUDEY, PLAY BALL, SPORTING LIFE & NEWS, T202, T205, T206, and US CARAMEL.

Cards for the basic football player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, BOWMAN CHROME, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF (1948-49), PINNACLE, PHILADELPHIA (1964-67), PRO SET, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, SPX, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, TOPPS CHROME, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

Cards for the basic basketball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, FINEST, FLEER/FLEER TRADIITION, HOOPS, SKYBOX, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

Cards for the basic hockey player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FLEER/FLEER TRADIITION, LEAF, OPC, OPC PREMIER, PARKHURST, PINNACLE, PRO SET, SCORE, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, and UPPER DECK.

Basic & Collector Issues Player Sets:
    These sets, for modern players (post-1971), include all cards defined as a "Main Set" cards (promos, prototypes and test sets excluded), but do not include cards from Parallel Sets, Insert Sets, or Parallel/Inserts Sets. Special cards and league leader cards are not included.

Master Player Sets:
    All cards, with the exception of unique or very limited edition cards, are accepted in the Master player sets. If a player is featured on a team set card, it will be allowed. Cards which may feature a player in the background but make no mention of the player on the card are not allowed. In addition, some handcut/panel/perforated issues may only be used in one slot and may not be required in multiple slots. If you are uncertain that your card qualifies, please email setregistry@collectors.com for confirmation.

Due to time constraints, player sets can take 12 months or longer before they go online. Your patience is appreciated.

Player sets have evolved since they were first introduced in the PSA Set Registry. Therefore, there may be some inconsistencies. Please email setregistry@collectors.com with any changes you feel should be made.

EDIT: I guess someone beat me to it...