Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 1967 double-struck dollar (PCGS grade update & photo)

Hello all. I've been offered a coin that I've long wanted to own: a 1967 Canada double-struck dollar. The only description I have right now is "a nice one", but I've asked for pictures and a more detailed description. I have no idea yet what "a nice one" means in terms of grade. I know these are fairly expensive coins in Mint State, but what about in AU? Any help/thoughts/experience whatsoever would be more than I have... and would be most appreciated.

Here's a photo. The coin is stunning in hand, and the macro photo magnifies every tiny thing that I didn't even know is there. It's more prooflike than any PL or DMPL Morgan I've ever owned, and I'm curious to see what PCGS calls it. Total pop. is currently just 6.

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I don't see a listing for it in my Charlton or Krause... but I did find one on ebay. Not sure if this is a good representaion of the market value but it may give you some idea of the value... http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-ICCS-MS-63-Double-Struck_W0QQitemZ370166586833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item562fa5ddd1&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_2115wt_958

Hope this helps!
    Todd
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Todd; it does help. These are obviously expensive coins in Mint State, but I'm still curious about their value in AU.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    according to Canadain Trends...

1967 double struck AU50...$650 MS60...$850 (in Canadian dollars).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Thanks for the help folks. I pulled the trigger and a check for my first ever Canadian coin is on its way to the seller. I'll post pictures when I have it in hand, then it's off to PCGS for a protective cover.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Welcome to the darkside!!! You do know that you are now hooked and will find yourself buying any and every coin from EVERY country of the world!! Happens to all of us! image
  • Options
    Actually, I began my Darkside flirtation several years ago. I'm trying to build a set of 1565-72 Scotland Ryals and Sword Dollars, and a set of 1910-14 Mexico Caballito pesos. The trick with both of them is, they have to go into PCGS holders. Here's one of my favorites:

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    OMG!! That is a freaking awesome coin!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe both the obverse and reverse have to be double struck. If it is, then it's a double struck coin with a Trends of C$650 in AU.

If the reverse die is rotated, then it is the Diving Goose variety. The rotation must be 45° in order to be called the Diving Goose.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Nice Thistle!! You Da Man!! image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I thought the double-struck dollars were backdoor jobs, so I thought they'd all be mint state.

Did some get released into circulation?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought the double-struck dollars were backdoor jobs, so I thought they'd all be mint state.

Did some get released into circulation? >>

My thought too.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Bump for photo added to first post.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Just returned from a business trip and learned that PCGS graded the coin PL65 Double Struck in Collar. image

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is a very cool error!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to TPG Population Report totals as I have seen plenty of these raw.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, I began my Darkside flirtation several years ago. I'm trying to build a set of 1565-72 Scotland Ryals and Sword Dollars, and a set of 1910-14 Mexico Caballito pesos. The trick with both of them is, they have to go into PCGS holders. Here's one of my favorites:
    >>

Always liked looking at your Ryals image