Home Sports Talk
Options

Jim Thome Traded to the Dodgers!

SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just reported on Baseball Tonightimage

Steve

Comments

• Options
    Wow, good news for us Twins fans. Too bad this didnt happen last year!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! Two guys in the top 15 ALL TIME HR hitters on the same team.

Also, the same two guys are in the top 4 career HR leaders of active players.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    They both started together with the Indians too, didnt they?
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>They both started together with the Indians too, didnt they? >>

More than just started with them. Played together from '93 - '00 on Cleveland.
    Edited to add: During that time Thome hit 230 HRs and Ramirez 236!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They both started together with the Indians too, didnt they? >>

Yep...Thome started in 1991 and Manny came up in '93. Then in '95, they added Eddie Murray to the team, meaning the Indians had three players who would go on to hit 500 career homeruns. They also had Dave Winfield on the team in '95, and he hit 465 homers.

Steve
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Wow!, Thome has been one of my favorites, but did the Dodgers need him??? They did also get Jon Garland too which they needed big time.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Thome is close to the end of his career as proven by this year. Its homerun or bust and he has looked extremely overmatched most of the time this year. I don't see much value in a national league team picking him up.
  • Options
    he will be coming off the bench to provide some power (pinch hitting) and draw the occaisonal walk. He would only play 1b in an emergency. If they make the world series he would def. be DH'ng. He was still going to hit 30 HR this year, very impressive given his age and plate appearances. One of the greatest pure sluggers I have ever seen.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    LA aslo picked up Jon Garland from the D-bax,

they seem quite serious about the very likely post season, and Joe Torre , once agin is a lucky manager, LOL !

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LA aslo picked up Jon Garland from the D-bax,

they seem quite serious about the very likely post season, and Joe Torre , once agin is a lucky manager, LOL !

image >>

I don't know if I consider Joe Torre a lucky manager, but he hired on with a team that showed him they wanted to be contenders. If you look back at his original team, they have certainly gotten better during the time. Not to mention many of the players are actual players who came up through their farm system.

Brian
  • Options
    Last month that the Phillies are STILL paying for his service here.
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice pick up for them off the bench
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started