Home U.S. Coin Forum

Were US gold coins ever placed into OBW rolls?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, has anyone had one or seen one that remained unopened?

It would be cool to see pictures of an OBW roll of Saint or Liberty double eagles [or eagles, half eagles or quarter eagles]. It would be even better to own such a roll.

I suppose even better would be an original, unopened bag of these coins, direct from the mint [If I got my hands on it, the bag would not be unopened for long].

Comments

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Bags held $5,000. Not sure if there were ever any paper wrappers.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I like the way you can see the rolled gold coins sitting it stacks when they were salvaging the SS Central America. LOL the roll is long rotted away but those are unsearched original rolls. image

Ed
  • ^^ That picture makes me $hit myself every time I see it. What a tremendous treasure.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I see a stack of octagonals.

Gold is a good choice of metal if you want it to last under seawater.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> That picture makes me $hit myself every time I see it. >>

That's not normal. Have you seen a doctor?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's not normal. Have you seen a doctor? >>

I'll bet it was normal for the discoverers the first time they saw it. And maybe every time since.

In regard to the original post, don't recall ever seeing a picture of a paper roll of gold. I recall there were some rolls of gold offered in some 1980's or earlier auction catalogs. But they were spread out for the picture and I don't recall any particular container offered with them.

I do recall a Bowers auction, probably in the 1980's or early 90's that had an old picture of with stacks of $5000 bags. Seems like it may have been stated that it was the entire mintage for the 1930-S $10 Eagle, but don't remember for certain.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

That's not normal. Have you seen a doctor? >>

• I have seen 1 original bank wrapped roll of 1932 $10 Indians.

The gent keeps it in a silver $ tube so as not to keep touching the paper.

I am at work now so no pix, butttt , I do have a gold coin bank bag from the 20s-30s.

It has the banks name and " $50 in gold coin " printed on it.

Judging from the size....I think it held 50 gold $1s. [ no coins... image ]
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am at work now so no pix, butttt , I do have a gold coin bank bag from the 20s-30s.

It has the banks name and " $50 in gold coin " printed on it.

Judging from the size....I think it held 50 gold $1s. [ no coins... image ] >>

Are you sure they aren't for quarter eagles? The mint stopped making gold dollars in 1889.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think coin wrappers first appeared in the late teens or early twanties. I think the stacks seen in the Central America photos were packed in boxes in rows and not wrapped paper rolls.
    Have a good day, Gary
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been told that there were. A jeweler friend told me that he melted some Saints about 30 years ago to make jewelry. No kidding.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Gold coins were consistency packed tightly in shipping boxes, usually stacked in canvas bags. This is because merchants would lose gold if the coins rubbed against each other or against the packing. Exported gold coins was always valued as bullion, and merchants wanted full weight coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file