Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An absolute monster-toned IHC PR courtesy of GT....

Superlative to say the least! Old PCGS Rattler and CAC to boot! Love those green mirrors!!!image
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a show stopper. I could almost be in the market for something like that.image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I think the only question is what will it look like in hand?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what's going on with the rims?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only question is what will it look like in hand? Ive purchased a total of three coins from that seller and all three were not what the photo looked like so I no longer purchase from that seller.

This seller is a member here (Mr.D) and has been discussed in the past. I am surprised to hear that you had 3 experiences where your purchase in-hand didn't look like the photos. Especially since the seller has over 8000 feedback and he's still maintained 100% feedback. I've had nothing but excellent experiences with this seller/member both as a repeat buyer and in realizing strong prices for coins I consigned with him to sell.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    What's so special about it image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's so special about it image >>

Actually nothing, absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a pretty coin, but I wouldn't describe it as "An absolute monster-toned IHC." This certainly isn't to belittle Dick--I know he's handled many Indians nicer, and a typical walk through a bourse will find numerous more colorful examples. Of course, the price tag will rise with the quality.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Great it is a nice IHC. But this love fest with GT eBay listings is starting to look a little suspect.
  • Options

<< <i>Great it is a nice IHC. But this love fest with GT eBay listings is starting to look a little suspect. >>

Uh oh, this is bringing me back a couple years when some thought I was an Anaconda Board Shill. image

Take it for what it is.... a beautiful coin from a well respected seller. No espionage or wiretapping going on here.image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a pretty coin, but I wouldn't describe it as "An absolute monster-toned IHC." This certainly isn't to belittle Dick--I know he's handled many Indians nicer, and a typical walk through a bourse will find numerous more colorful examples. Of course, the price tag will rise with the quality. >>

I was thinking of a polite way to say it, and you did it better than I could. Definitely not a monster, and the pics looks a little overjuiced, which doesn't help.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the same seller....this Morgan is more of a monster toner IMHO!!!!

1881 s NGC MS64*PL Star Rainbow Toned Morgan Dollar

1892 PCGS PR64RB Colorful Toned Proof Indian Cent in an Old Rattler Holder with CAC Approval
  • Options
    I am not blown away with that coin at all. I owned a much nicer green MS IHC on a MS64 rattler. I think Dick is a good seller but there is no question that image isn't straight from the camera without some tweeking image
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not blown away with that coin at all. I owned a much nicer green MS IHC on a MS64 rattler. I think Dick is a good seller but there is no question that image isn't straight from the camera without some tweeking image >>

you bet cha
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What's so special about it image >>

Actually nothing, absolutely nothing. >>

Not impressed at all. And I promise you, in hand it doesn't look like that. Was the haze impossible to eliminate without muting the color? Duh.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing I see....

A thread was started, trying to be nice, but using superlatives that don't belong for this particular coin. Sure, the coin could be nice, but, as some have stated, and some not quite elagantly, this one is NOT "absolute monster-toned"....many of us have better or at least seen better.

So, what happens when someone frequently/often puts out threads with superlatives for a particular seller? They start looking like a shill.
    What else happens? It opens that seller up to, at times, harsh criticism that may not be deserved (or, it may but would not have been given if not for the thread and the pushing of the item).

I've certainly posted threads of nice coins but it is always good to know what may result from posting such a thread....in this case, DF should start realizing that, if he really like Dick, he may want to be more careful in how he posts threads like this.... image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>I think the only question is what will it look like in hand? Ive purchased a total of three coins from that seller and all three were not what the photo looked like so I no longer purchase from that seller.

This seller is a member here (Mr.D) and has been discussed in the past. I am surprised to hear that you had 3 experiences where your purchase in-hand didn't look like the photos. Especially since the seller has over 8000 feedback and he's still maintained 100% feedback. I've had nothing but excellent experiences with this seller/member both as a repeat buyer and in realizing strong prices for coins I consigned with him to sell. >>

I know the seller is a member and I am well aware of his feedback. I can simply only site my experience with the seller. No harm intended to the seller just my honest opinion.

On another note feedback is only calculated by year. so in the last 12 months hes had roughly 1300 feedback with no negs but a handful of neutrals. Great feedback to say the least.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see rim damage.

Edited to add:

Hopefully I'm wrong, and it's just the insert in the slab.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute! I recognize that coin from a long-abandoned photo contest!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    uh-oh.
    Lance.

Edited to add: I like the original! Lovely.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the non-monster-toned coin in messydesk's post better. image

And, no, the seller does not optimize his images. image
  • Options
    Gee, is that the proof IHC from the never ending/never ended photo contest? I must have burned up a gigabyte of pixels trying to get a good photo of that one... If so it only looks awesome from a very particular angle with very particular light... it can't be that coin can it?
  • Options
    It definitely is that coin. Look at the spot on the E on the reverse. Hell, look at the serial number on the slab! It is a gorgeous coin. It has subtle color that pops when hit just right by the light, and is also an overall attractive red-brown. Note also the orange peel on the obverse.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's the thing I see....

A thread was started, trying to be nice, but using superlatives that don't belong for this particular coin. Sure, the coin could be nice, but, as some have stated, and some not quite elagantly, this one is NOT "absolute monster-toned"....many of us have better or at least seen better.

So, what happens when someone frequently/often puts out threads with superlatives for a particular seller? They start looking like a shill.
    What else happens? It opens that seller up to, at times, harsh criticism that may not be deserved (or, it may but would not have been given if not for the thread and the pushing of the item).

I've certainly posted threads of nice coins but it is always good to know what may result from posting such a thread....in this case, DF should start realizing that, if he really like Dick, he may want to be more careful in how he posts threads like this.... image >>

OMG, this isn't rocket science guys. I posted a thread of a coin that I think is gorgeous and I think can be classified as a nice monster. Haven't I heard just about everyone here say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?Guess what, I've held the coin in-hand and as with just about all deeply toned proofs, copper or silver, the color that Dick has captured is true to the coin at a given angle. Show me a coin that looks like that from any angle or any distance and under any light source? Not going to happen, for the most part anyway. I'll continue to share coins that I think are worthy to share and by all means, please, disagree if you so choose but please don't turn it into some sort of, "oh be careful what you call nice 'cause some here on the forum might be critical of it". image
  • Options
    If that is the coin I tried to photograph (during a photo contest) I must have some photos laying around here somewhere... i'll have to try to find them. A quick search didn't turn them up. ... OK searched more and, yup!, that is the one.

That coin looks dull straight on, but there is a glint, a hint, that draws you to start tilting the coin. Once you do you will quickly find the angle and catch the colors, which are nice. However they are very difficult to photograph, a very good job was done in the auction if the goal is to portray what the coin looks like under perfect conditions.

Wasn't that an Anaconda coin? Didn't he want mucho buckaroonies for it?
  • Options
    Oh, crazyhounddog, cmerlo1, that "rim damage" is just the holder.

I see the coin was CAC'd since I've seen it. If CAC is validating the technical grade then, well, I'm not so sure. This coin has great eye appeal that is for sure. I'm not so sure it deserves the RB designation though. Maybe, maybe not. I'm not an expert on copper color designations, but this coin looks pretty brown when you see it straight on.
  • Options
    I am not surprised that the coin looks different straight on vs angled so the light reflects the color on the mirrored surfaces....pretty standard when taking photo's of proofs.
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    Carl,

Your photographs are in a league of their own compared to the seller's. Good job!
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may just put in a bid...image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I've certainly posted threads of nice coins but it is always good to know what may result from posting such a thread....in this case, DF should start realizing that, if he really like Dick, he may want to be more careful in how he posts threads like this.... image >>

OMG, this isn't rocket science guys. I posted a thread of a coin that I think is gorgeous and I think can be classified as a nice monster. Haven't I heard just about everyone here say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?Guess what, I've held the coin in-hand and as with just about all deeply toned proofs, copper or silver, the color that Dick has captured is true to the coin at a given angle. Show me a coin that looks like that from any angle or any distance and under any light source? Not going to happen, for the most part anyway. I'll continue to share coins that I think are worthy to share and by all means, please, disagree if you so choose but please don't turn it into some sort of, "oh be careful what you call nice 'cause some here on the forum might be critical of it". image >>

Let's see....
    A) I really don't care, one way or another
    B) If you fail to see what I am talking about, then you aren't thinking clearly and openly and you will continue to do Dick a disservice, imho.

Do what you want, you will anyway, but it appears you don't look at the overall pictures.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Whoever just paid 5 bills for it will be quite satisfied with their purchase.
  • Options
    <<Whoever just paid 5 bills for it will be quite satisfied with their purchase. >>

Agreed. A strong price but worth it for the discriminating connoisseur of toned proof Indian Cents.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

OMG, this isn't rocket science guys. I posted a thread of a coin that I think is gorgeous and I think can be classified as a nice monster. Haven't I heard just about everyone here say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?Guess what, I've held the coin in-hand and as with just about all deeply toned proofs, copper or silver, the color that Dick has captured is true to the coin at a given angle. Show me a coin that looks like that from any angle or any distance and under any light source? Not going to happen, for the most part anyway. I'll continue to share coins that I think are worthy to share and by all means, please, disagree if you so choose but please don't turn it into some sort of, "oh be careful what you call nice 'cause some here on the forum might be critical of it". image >>

Let's see....
    A) I really don't care, one way or another
    B) If you fail to see what I am talking about, then you aren't thinking clearly and openly and you will continue to do Dick a disservice, imho.

Do what you want, you will anyway, but it appears you don't look at the overall pictures. >>

Let's see....

Edited to say: I'd say the coin did quite well. Probably because of this thread.image
  • Options
    Heh. I still have my pictures from that contest. Thanks for pointing out this post messydesk! May as well post them here. I liked this coin myself, and the price doesn't seem too unreasonable to me if the person who won really liked it.

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, crazyhounddog, cmerlo1, that "rim damage" is just the holder. >>

While the "ticks" at 10:00 o'clock, 1:00 o'clock, and 5:30 appear to be the PCGS Insert, that little "tick" at 3:30 does not. The PCGS Inserts for this generation of slab had 3 contact points with the coin and that 3:30 location wasn;t one of them. Perhaps this is what got it the PR64?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>While the "ticks" at 10:00 o'clock, 1:00 o'clock, and 5:30 appear to be the PCGS Insert, that little "tick" at 3:30 does not. The PCGS Inserts for this generation of slab had 3 contact points with the coin and that 3:30 location wasn;t one of them. Perhaps this is what got it the PR64? >>

There's a corresponding mark on the reverse, as well, at about 9:30.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>While the "ticks" at 10:00 o'clock, 1:00 o'clock, and 5:30 appear to be the PCGS Insert, that little "tick" at 3:30 does not. The PCGS Inserts for this generation of slab had 3 contact points with the coin and that 3:30 location wasn;t one of them. Perhaps this is what got it the PR64? >>

There's a corresponding mark on the reverse, as well, at about 9:30. >>

I have always struggled with rim ticks wondering how it will affect the grade?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file