Home U.S. Coin Forum

Barber dime grading revisted......

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
There has been a couple of recent posts about grading this series. Here is a coin graded EF45 coin. I'm guessing based upon some of the other grades offered in another post that some of you believe this would grade higher? I personally think this is exactly what 45 should look like. What say you?

imageimage
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image That's more like it.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Looks right on to me too. I haven't seen the other threads yet.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    That's an absolutely perfect looking 45 that often ends up in a 50 holder...especially when it's a key date.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • That is accurate to me. If I am thinking of the correct other thread, I was surprised to see a lot of XF responses for a mid range VF (IMO) coin. Thanks for posting this for comparison.

merse

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Depending on the luster I would have no problems with that being a 45 or 50.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Houston - if the luster in hand is decent, I'd go with AU50, as the details seem to support that. Admittedly I'd love to buy Barbers like this as XF's.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade that coin a 50 based on originality and lustre- your example is better than a 45. This seems to be one of the problems in the hobby and has been for years- your coin is original, attractive and a quick and light dip would bring out the lustre and then it would grade 50. Instead of your Barber dime, picture an 1901-s Barber Quarter. So, a coin that has a significant spread between EF and AU will LIKELY be enhanced to get the better grade.

The sad reality is that the enhancement is really hurting the hobby and it continues to happen at the expense of butchering original coins. Your coin is worthy of an AU50 grade and if it were graded as such, there would be no need for the enhancement.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANA grading standards.

EF-45

Obverse: Slight wear shows on high points of upper leaves, cheek and hair above forhead. LIBERTY is sharp and band edges are bold.

Reverse: Hight points of the wreath and bow lightly worn. Lines in leaves are clearly defined.

Part of mint luster is still present.

I don't think it's the enhancement of coins that is the problem, but the enhancement of grading standards. If you look at the coin in my OP, you will see that it fit's this description to a T. In order for a coin to make AU-50, half of the mint luster must still be present.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
    And if the coin is enhanced, the lustre will be more pronounced. I see the lustre on your coin as being consistent with an AU50 grade

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And if the coin is enhanced, the lustre will be more pronounced. I see the lustre on your coin as being consistent with an AU50 grade >>

And that brings up another question; Would your rather have this nice fully original piece in an EF-45 holder or a dipped piece with the same details in an AU-50 holder. Maybe in site unseen trading the AU50 piece would bring more money, but I have to think a collector would appreciate the originallity of this piece.
  • 45 minimum, 50 maximum. That leaves 46, 47, 48 & 49 if you want to use all the numbers available.
    I've always wondered why they're ignored.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
    I would rather have the original piece- Unfortunately, profit is a motive for the enhancement

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    If it didn't have those minor rim dings, I would go AU53.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it didn't have those minor rim dings, I would go AU53. >>

Too nice a coin for an XF - IMHO - looks like it could 53 - if the luster were a touch more.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • More of a low AU than a high XF, IMO.
    There is another Barber Dime thread in connection with grading a 1904-s. This coin is the better coin and it is not the difference between 40-45 either

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of your coin, muted dull antique silver colored surfaces (uncleaned or undipped), with a little luster left hiding in the protected devices. Yours looks it could be an XF45 or AU50,

Now, go get your 96-S that looks like that and sell it to me!
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 light cleaning not too bad. Better than the '04 S in the other post without a doubt.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • PCGS = 40-45
    NGC = 45-50
    ANACS = 40
    PCI (Green) = 40
    PCI (Gold) = 50

Steve, the Barber dime guy.
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji