Home U.S. Coin Forum

What can be done to reinvigorate coin shows?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
Report after report indicates falling retail interest/attandance at coin shows (not necessarily auctions), at least as far as numismatic coins are concerned.

What can be done to turn things around?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Free hat!
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    strippers.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • How about if all the collectors bring in all your coins and sell them all at 20% or more behind bid...voluntarily, of course... and then start out new collections and insist on paying full retail or more for everything...

Yeah...that's the ticket...things should start picking up then...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    reduced prices on coins that have the audacity of making it into a graded PCGS holder
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    This subject has been discussed many times on this and other forums. Those who run the shows, seem not to notice, or understand the suggestions of collectors.
  • Run them Saturday through Tuesday so the buzz will be on for the weekend crowd. When the dealers pack up on Tuesday nobody will care.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about have the large shows on Sat and Sun instead of Thurs and Fri. I have to work and would attend many more of the large shows if it wasn't going to be a waste of my time to fly out Fri night and attend Sat or Sun
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit the large shows and hold more small shows across middle America as was done in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    anablep took the words right out of my mouth
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open bars!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Coin shows will be going strong again as soon as the national economy recovers.
    Folks don't buy collectibles when they need their money for neccessities.

Ray
  • DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>strippers. >>

That what I thought! image

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Lathmach and CarlWohlforth both hit the nail on the head. There is really no mystery as to why the collector market, at coin shows, B&Ms, and on line, have slowed.

"Coin shows will be going strong again as soon as the national economy recovers.
    Folks don't buy collectibles when they need their money for neccessities."

"Reinvigorate the economy."

When the economy improves, so will the coin market.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    for prices to come back down to more reasonable levels as they were 7-10 years ago.
    the bubble in coins still has a ways to go down in my opinion.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Make them consumer friendly:
    Show should include weekend hours.
    If a show is advertised as having Sunday hours, dealers have to stay.
    Dealers should accept credit cards, just like vendors at every other kind of trade show.
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ALL THE ABOVE!image >>

You forgot free Guinness image
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>for prices to come back down to more reasonable levels as they were 7-10 years ago.
    the bubble in coins still has a ways to go down in my opinion. >>

The sellers don't want to lose money on their coins. I can understand that, but sooner or later they will sell.
    The longer they take to adjust their prices down the more they will lose.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Lower coin prices?
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Delets the loser shows. Too many

shows in a down economy

defies logic.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • "hold more small shows across middle America"

"Too many shows in a down economy"

I guess that pretty much covers it. image
  • Have dealers post their buy and sell prices for all their coins.
    That was common in the good ol' days!

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Seriously, do the dealers even need the shows anymore? Between the auctions and the dealer to dealer business, I suspect that a relatively small percentage of sales are made to customers who walk up to the tables.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

• << <i>Coin shows will be going strong again as soon as the national economy recovers.
    Folks don't buy collectibles when they need their money for neccessities.

Ray >>

No one "has " to have a coin, when money gets tight it is one of the first things to go.
  • << strippers.

That what I thought!>>

I will see your strippers, and I raise.
    Free Beer with topless waitress's imageimage

Seriously, I agree with Bear; in this down economy consolidate shows. Remember the old adage: less is more.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give away free ipods and x-boxes. image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>anablep took the words right out of my mouth >>

Me too image

Consumer confidence has a lot to do it as well. I still go but don't buy as much.

Ed
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 1. dress code for dealers

2. local radio advertising

3. in general MORE ADVERTISING
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    How about negotiating some reduced fee's for dealers to perhaps attract more dealers so they can in turn liberate some of their inventory at reduced prices? Tables at Long Beach are expensive folks! Heck, a table at the Santa Clara show can set you back close to a grand for 3 days.

How about a better advertising campaign aimed at the GENERAL PUBLIC instead of just the coin collecting community?

How about some general advertising by the ANA to promote coin collecting. Thats their purpose isn't it? I mean, if those folks that sell gold can afford a TV Spot, why can't the ANA?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    [qHow about a better advertising campaign aimed at the GENERAL PUBLIC instead of just the coin collecting community?

How about some general advertising by the ANA to promote coin collecting. Thats their purpose isn't it? I mean, if those folks that sell gold can afford a TV Spot, why can't the ANA? >>

I like that idea the best. Not counting CoinFest, I can only think of two organizations, the ANA and FUN, that will advertise beyond sending out postcard reminders to their mailing lists. Unfortunately the few television commercials that are run are cheesy, tacky, and generally laughably unimaginative. They may appear satisfactory to the 75 year-old blue haired partially deaf old farts, but they are way too reminiscent of those ridiculous used car dealer commercials you see during after hours.

Numismatic organizations should advertise in methods that appeal to the mainstream and can attract that audience to a coin show, not just towards coin collectors via ads that only elderly half-fossils find endearing. There is only one organization that to this day has realized this and is advertising in ways that can attract a younger, more modern crowd. That organization is CoinFest.

I also agree with others in that there are too many coin shows. When I started doing this even the dealers would endure months of anticipation for the next big show, even for shows like Long Beach, and save the better material on hand until that show. For the last few years the attitude has been more akin to: "who cares if this show bombs? There's another big show next week!" When there are too many shows it dilutes the importance of the existing shows.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • How about having the dealers actually manning their tables for the whole show? That would be radical wouldn't it?
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1. dress code for dealers

2. local radio advertising

3. in general MORE ADVERTISING >>

Dealers need to become a lot more people friendly. It also helps to cater to kids in the advertising, and in making the shows fun for kids.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Free concert for PCGS members only after 4pm... How bout Hootie and the Coin boys...image
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i did a show report from this past weekend and shared a little of what could be done to make that one more popular and better attended, but as someone already said, the promoters and owners of shows don't seem to listen to what collectors tell them. my own thoughts are that slow-shows were an inevitability as the coin market heated up starting at the turn-of-the-century. part of the problem now is just too many dealers and too many shows(along with too many auction companies and their auctions). the current slowdown should help rectify some of that while collectors being more selective about how their "coin dollar" is spent will go even further to eliminate the excess.

we had a bit of a funny conversation Saturday after the close of the show. as we sat in the lobby of the host hotel a bus load of senior citizens unloaded and my buddy joked that they were here for the coin show. we laughed and he went on to say how nice it would be if there was an outfit that did a bus tour across the country hitting coin shops on the way to each weekend show on the tour. i gauranteed him that if there were busloads of people ready for something like that there'd be a coin show each and every day of the week!!! that's sort of what's happened in-a-nutshell.........................as the market heated up the shows followed, now the market's cooling off and the shows will start to follow suit.

the easiest way to guage this transformation will be to watch the CW coin show pages. they are sure to dwindle.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty simple. Get the country back on track and there will be more disposable income. The county I live in has an unemployment rate of over 15%. The first thing people cut out are things like coins. Food and shelter need to come first. I'm not trying to be political; I'm just pointing out the problems right now. It isn't that people don't want to collect, they just need their necessities first.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• << <i>[qHow about a better advertising campaign aimed at the GENERAL PUBLIC instead of just the coin collecting community?

How about some general advertising by the ANA to promote coin collecting. Thats their purpose isn't it? I mean, if those folks that sell gold can afford a TV Spot, why can't the ANA? >>

I like that idea the best. Not counting CoinFest, I can only think of two organizations, the ANA and FUN, that will advertise beyond sending out postcard reminders to their mailing lists. Unfortunately the few television commercials that are run are cheesy, tacky, and generally laughably unimaginative. They may appear satisfactory to the 75 year-old blue haired partially deaf old farts, but they are way too reminiscent of those ridiculous used car dealer commercials you see during after hours.

Numismatic organizations should advertise in methods that appeal to the mainstream and can attract that audience to a coin show, not just towards coin collectors via ads that only elderly half-fossils find endearing. There is only one organization that to this day has realized this and is advertising in ways that can attract a younger, more modern crowd. That organization is CoinFest.

I also agree with others in that there are too many coin shows. When I started doing this even the dealers would endure months of anticipation for the next big show, even for shows like Long Beach, and save the better material on hand until that show. For the last few years the attitude has been more akin to: "who cares if this show bombs? There's another big show next week!" When there are too many shows it dilutes the importance of the existing shows. >>

Hey!! How about laying off the septuagenarians.
    We're not all suffering from dementia.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file