Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How does one go about getting authentic GU jerseys?

I'd like to aquire a GU jersey for my collection but I have been unsuccessful in obtaining one so far. I've tried contacting the team directly, I've tried their main charity, I've tried eBay (I have actually seen some that are advertised as GU here but I want proof), etc. Where do GU collectors get their stuff? Thanks in advance.
Chris
My small collection
Want List:
'61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
Cardinal T206 cards
Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris

I don't collect this kind of stuff, but that's one place where I did like SCD - there's a bunch of guys who advertised there that have been in the business for years - e.g. like MEI, Grey Flannel.

Also, did you try ML auctions?

Not an expert - but if ya want some names from SCD - PM me and when I get home I'll check in a copy.

Also, I would check over at net54 - they may have some GU collectors over there?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Thanks, Mike. I'll be sure and give those avenues a try. And if you do have time I would appreciate some names out of SCD. Thanks, again!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Check out the site gameuseduniverse.com
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, Mike. I'll be sure and give those avenues a try. And if you do have time I would appreciate some names out of SCD. Thanks, again! >>

Will check Chris.

If you don't hear from me this eve - please PM me - in case I forget - I'm getting old!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cardinals sell most of their own items through the team shop in the stadium and their Cardinals Care charity events. One of the best people in the hobby runs the website birdbats.com, his name is Jeff Scott. Check in with him and tell him what you are looking for. In all of my years of collecting stuff I have never met a more honest, helpful collector than Jeff, plus he has an amazing collection of Cardinals game used bats and is highly networked in that part of the hobby.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

<< <i>The Cardinals sell most of their own items through the team shop in the stadium and their Cardinals Care charity events. One of the best people in the hobby runs the website birdbats.com, his name is Jeff Scott. Check in with him and tell him what you are looking for. In all of my years of collecting stuff I have never met a more honest, helpful collector than Jeff, plus he has an amazing collection of Cardinals game used bats and is highly networked in that part of the hobby.

Abe >>

Hi Abe.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey Mike,
    Who the heck is Gabe?

Abe
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike,
    Who the heck is Gabe?

Abe >>

LOL

I typed that without thinking and went back and changed it.

I don't know who Gabe is either!

Mike
  • Options
    I knew it was a typo, just figured I would bust your chops a little. I hope you are doing well.
  • Options
    Thanks, Abe. I have sent Mr. Scott an e-mail and I hope to hear from him soon.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Jef Scott posted this pic on gameuseduniverse, any interest in a busted bat?
    At the Cards team store.
  • Options

<< <i>Jef Scott posted this pic on gameuseduniverse, any interest in a busted bat? >>

I don't care if it's busted as long as it's real. The only problem is that I think this is going to be much more expensive than I had previously thought. I was hoping to find a jersery for $300 or less and a bat for around $150. But apparently I live in a fantasy land. image Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. I'm headed over there now to check it out.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jef Scott posted this pic on gameuseduniverse, any interest in a busted bat? >>

I don't care if it's busted as long as it's real. The only problem is that I think this is going to be much more expensive than I had previously thought. I was hoping to find a jersery for $300 or less and a bat for around $150. But apparently I live in a fantasy land. image Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. I'm headed over there now to check it out. >>

Chris

It depends on whose bat or jersey you want?

If you just want something real as a sample? You do that very cheaply.

I checked in a few SCDs and their old advertisers have abandoned them - go figure? We all saw that coming.

Now - one good source that was in SCD is MEI. They advertised there for quite some time.

Also, as I said, GreyFlannel Inc. was there for years.

And, here's another guy who advertised for years in SCD - MD Sports Connection.

Further, someone that I've been buying from for over 20 yrs and trust from NY - is B&E Collectibles. They have GU stuff which they stand behind - I've seen jerseys go for like 60 bucks.

I hope this is a good start for ya. When I have time, I'll check a few more out for ya.
    mike

edit: I forgot the bats - IMO JT Sports is as good as it gets - John Taube is a good guy - I believe - Abe should be able to tell ya - he buys way more of this stuff than I.
    Mike
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Check the websites of other teams to see if anyone sells cracked bats online.

You may find something cheaply of a Cardinal from his former team.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Chris,

All the places Stone listed are good companies to buy from. And if you look around the BST board at Game Used Universe you may be able to find something you like. Those guys over there a very knowledgeable and will
    help make sure you get something that is legit. You may want to join and ask questions as there are many pitfalls with buying game used items. I have learned a ton from them, they are a good group of collectors.

No matter what you end up buying, I hope you come back and share it with us. I love to collect game used items and like looking at other peoples buys. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options

<< <i>It depends on whose bat or jersey you want? >>

I'm after an Adam Wainwright GU something for my collection. I would have said that in my first post but I thought that my starting two Wainwright threads in two days might have caused a misalignment in the space/time continuum and opened up a blackhole that would consume us all. That or be labeled me as an obsessive fanatic w/ a man-crush. Either one could happen and the second one is probably true. LOL
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards