Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legend Sale ??

I qualify subsequent comments in that I have never bought anything from Legend - I could not be trusted with most of their coins if I could afford them.

I got an email telling that they were having a 5-20% off sale because they had to make room. They say they have 35,000+ coins in inventory. The number of coins for sale is between 125-130. That's about 0.4%. If they sell them all is that really going to solve their "room" problem?
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Comments

• Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    Apparently, they forgot to sell all their "dreck" coins before coining the term.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    They must be selling their "big" coins.image
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    They did just get at least one huge consignment of coins. I can imagine they really are running out of room. Note that I don't collect the things they sell so have not done business with them.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They picked up a huge collection - I think it was McLaren or something like that.

It was a big collection that they needed a truck to haul home.

Go to their site and read the historical announcement for further information.

Gotta love stuff on sale.....it's the American way.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    "Room" might be a metaphor for cash flow. "Room" might refer to the inventory they bring to the major coin shows. So the answer is yes, moving 130 coins might help if either of the above is what they are talking about.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Room" might be a metaphor for cash flow. "Room" might refer to the inventory they bring to the major coin shows. So the answer is yes, moving 130 coins might help if either of the above is what they are talking about. >>

That's how I read it. I would not want to trade place with someone having to catalog, grade, and price 35,000 Morgans, Walkers, and Mercs. image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The key to any business model is inventory turnover.

Legend is running a business, not a museum. Like any

well run business, if coins do not sell in a set period

of time, you lower the price. Better to make less profit

on sold coins, then full price on coins that have not

sold.

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    I knew about the big collection. I know about selling old stuff. They claimed that it wasn't about cash flow/money. It was specifically to make room. If I have room for 35,000+ coins, how can I not have enough room for 35,125 coins?

If it is a sales "gimmick" or good advertizing or whatever, they must be counting on people not thinking. Why not just say we have some old inventory that hasn't moved and it is being offered at a discount - as if people who buy from Legend do so based on price. If they need room it seems that that monster collection has more than 125 coins in it that would sell before they even got them into inventory.

It just seemed ridiculous to make a big deal about trying to free up space and only have 125 coins on sale when the inventory is 35,000+ coins.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew about the big collection. I know about selling old stuff. They claimed that it wasn't about cash flow/money. It was specifically to make room. If I have room for 35,000+ coins, how can I not have enough room for 35,125 coins?

If it is a sales "gimmick" or good advertizing or whatever, they must be counting on people not thinking. Why not just say we have some old inventory that hasn't moved and it is being offered at a discount - as if people who buy from Legend do so based on price. If they need room it seems that that monster collection has more than 125 coins in it that would sell before they even got them into inventory.

It just seemed ridiculous to make a big deal about trying to free up space and only have 125 coins on sale when the inventory is 35,000+ coins. >>

Many of the coins that are on sale have been in their inventory for a while and are not from this large collection. There's an 1860 Seated Quarter I'd love to own in that group up for sale.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Mowgli,
    The specifics of a dealer's business are generally not made public. Saying "We need to make room" is generally good enough excuse to have a sale. There is no law that says then need to disclose exactly why they are having a sale and I doublt they expected someone to take them literally. --jerry

• Options
    Some folks say what difference could selling 125 expensive coins from the vault make.

Wwell there are two major differences. In the large 35,000 coin collection, there are at

least 125 very expensive coins. Perhaps not so rare in the mintage numbers, but condition

rare. A rare coin is a rare coin no matter how you slice it. I offered to keep the hoard in my

cave so I could play with it, but Laura politely refused my generous offer.

The second difference, is the fact that turnover means money and profit. If a coin does not move

fairly quickly, then the best way to handle that coin is to discount it and move it out. If more dealers

did this, they would not be sitting with mountains of stale, dusty, inventory on hand.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have room for 35,000+ coins, how can I not have enough room for 35,125 coins?image

i don't know who gives out POTD's or if they still do it, but this one qualifies. most excellent, as was the rest of your line of thought.imageimage
  • Options
    Is is kinda like trying to force a 4 pound

salami into a two pound grocery bag.image

In this case , one must PRIORITIZE!
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Legend is a top notch coin company, they are better than most but they are still in the business to make money any way they can.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought only 2 coins from Legend and missed many others. First coin was 1907 No Motto $10 Indian PCGS-64 which I paid only $2450. The coin was stunning but had a long die crack in the obverse field. At the time, I thought it was a scratch and returned the coin for a full refund - how stupid of me. Second coin was 1910-D $10 Indian PCGS-64 which also was very nice. I sold the second coin back to Legend for about the same price I bought because I wanted to get something nicer. Overall, Legend is very professional as many on BST board here. I'm glad I become a coin collector, never regret, never will, even though my wife, most of the time, doesn't understand why I love coin so much. image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got this email from PCGS eCollector.
    Wow, that's what I call short notice!!!

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Legend does not clog up the site with too many coins at a time so moving 135 coins off the website is a lot to move.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    Well I did my part. Bought 2 walkers from them night b4 last.

And that 1860 25c they gots is manly!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file