Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1988 Topps Traded Baseball - Official PSA Thread

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
Most of you do not know me, some of you might. I am a long time PCGS member and have been collecting coins for years...I BURNED OUT! I have now focused my attention to PSA and Topps only Baseball card collecting, which of course I did as a kid.

My first love is to complete a 1980 Topps which my Brother gave me as a set and I looked at it all of the time, so as you can imagine, it has nothing worth grading.

My other set that I would like to complete is this set: 1988 Topps Traded Baseball, I have 12 cards and can't seem to locate any others. I did check the pops and very few of these cards are graded...why?

I would be interested in any PSA 10's that have been graded, that I do not have.

Thanks for reading my first PSA Forum post!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The entire set has a value of approximately $2-, give or take. As such, the grading fees of any single card in the set exceed the value of the entire ungraded set.

If this is a set you'd like to complete, good luck with the endeavour. However, you will likely need to submit the cards yourself, as there is no value proposition for other collectors/dealers to submit almost any card from the set.

If you're so inclined, you can pick up a case of 100 sets on Ebay for under $200-, before S&H.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The entire set has a value of approximately $2-, give or take. As such, the grading fees of any single card in the set exceed the value of the entire ungraded set.

If this is a set you'd like to complete, good luck with the endeavour. However, you will likely need to submit the cards yourself, as there is no value proposition for other collectors/dealers to submit almost any card from the set.

If you're so inclined, you can pick up a case of 100 sets on Ebay for under $200-, before S&H.

M >>

Exactly what he said. How many registered 88 traded sets are there?? You might be the first!! But the first rule of collecting is collect what you like!!
  • Options

<< <i>Exactly what he said. How many registered 88 traded sets are there?? You might be the first!! But the first rule of collecting is collect what you like!! >>

This exactly what I'm doing. Thanks for the info.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    If you want a good start, I have my 80 topps Psa graded FS 1980 fs

It would be a start 45%+ complete
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    11th on the registry

Here is a better link to the set
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, for what it's worth, I really love my PSA 10 Ron Gant (pop 5). I see that you have one of the others.

Regrettable that Topps didn't include John Smoltz in the set.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    That was, once upon a time, a great set: Jim Abbott, Andy Benes, Tino Martinez, Robin Ventura, Mark Grace, Chris Sabo....
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Collecting an unpopular set can be even more satisfying in a way. You get to have a unique focus and you don't have to listen to all of the chatter about it. You don't have to worry about fakes or trimmed cards. You won't be involved in bidding wars.

As long as you're okay with the fact that you will not be able to resell and break even, you should have a great time completing that set!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    The pride of Manchester CT 's East Catholic High School is in the 88 Topps Traded set.
    Billy Masse and the pride of UCONN Baseball Charles Nagy. Good luck and don't let anyone pee on your fire you collect what you want.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    ...I'd pick up the 100 sets on ebay if I were you to submit the very best of the best for your set to get an all PSA 10 set.

There are lots of worthless set collectors out there...there is even a thread on here for itimage

Good luck!

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good luck on your 88 Topps quest.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Thanks Guys!

I've already eyeballed the 100 ct. lot before this thread. Considered buying, buy haven't as of yet.

I don't care whats popular, been there done that with PCGS and the Guys on the PCGS set Registry Forum. I want to collect what I think is great, and I love the responses, but no-one can or will pee in my soup. image

I really like alot of the other series, but my main focus is the Topps Baseball for now. I want to complete my 1980 set and my 1988 TT. I also got caught up in the 2006-Date Allen and Ginter series. There is an unbelievable amt. of nice looking cards in those sets. I'm really excited about them.

Just look at my face!
    See...I'm happy!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I've always thought that this was a cool set. Love the Charles Nagy Rookie.

If you want a challenge, try the 88 Topps Traded Tiffany set. Much harder to find.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also a fan of this set. It was one of the first sets I owned as a kid. I loved it because of Jim Abbott. Good luck with your set!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Collecting an unpopular set can be even more satisfying in a way. You get to have a unique focus and you don't have to listen to all of the chatter about it. You don't have to worry about fakes or trimmed cards. You won't be involved in bidding wars.

As long as you're okay with the fact that you will not be able to resell and break even, you should have a great time completing that set! >>

Wise words.
  • Options
    I've been picking up cheap 10's as they have become available. I have a little over 10% of the set, but it's enough for a start. This was right arounfd the year a really started collecting (1988-1989) and am somewhat attached to the set. If anyone happens to have any All Star Rookies/Future Stars/Red Sox not named Boggs or Clemens to trade, I'm sure we can work a deal image PM me!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's
  • Options
    I submitted about 11 cards from this set just to see how PSA grades them and received a bunch of PSA 10's! I also got back an 8 and a couple of 9's. Not bad overall.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>I submitted about 11 cards from this set just to see how PSA grades them and received a bunch of PSA 10's! I also got back an 8 and a couple of 9's. Not bad overall.

Later, Paul. >>

All right! Congratulations on the successful sub! Did you ever have any coin subs come back with such high grades??!
  • Options

<< <i>All right! Congratulations on the successful sub! Did you ever have any coin subs come back with such high grades??! >>

I have 3 pages of all kinds of coin grades. I have made a couple PR70DCAM's and alot of MS68 statehood quarters and alot of high grade Roosie Dimes. Of course I took my fair share of arse whipping from PCGS, but there are so many grades, and such a fine line between an MS66, 67, & 68 its unreal.

PSA has been good so far! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.