Home Sports Talk

Could the Tiger be done?

When he missed the putt on 18 he looked like his interest in the game has waned. His knee is probably bothering him and winning 19 majors could be a pipe dream. Could the Tiger decide this off season to just pack it up, soak up the sun on his Yacht and just count up the endorsement money?
SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No- He just missed a putt

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• He wins 2 weeks in a row and should have won the 3rd week. That streak started 4 weeks ago. Now you think he is done?
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    His last four finishes

First

First

Second

Second

Wow, that is not really slumping now is it?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>His last four finishes

First

First

Second

Second

Wow, that is not really slumping now is it? >>

Exactly! He's not down, he's just getting started.

Look out next year. He just might have his best one yet.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Guy looks tired to me. Think he may be done soon. At a Major win a year it will take 5 years to beat jack. He works three times as hard as any other golfer and may be worn out.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guy looks tired to me. Think he may be done soon. At a Major win a year it will take 5 years to beat jack. He works three times as hard as any other golfer and may be worn out. >>

Tell you what, I follow a lot of golf both in person and on TV and that's simply not true. There are plenty of guys that work as hard, if not harder than Tiger. He's so good because of his mental training. Guys hit the ball straighter than him, longer than him and make more putts but don't have the game between the ears to keep up with him.

And he's still on the way to 25 majors, guys. Calm down. And this coming from someone who really doesn't like the guy.
  • I will never argue with a guy named Vito, but one question. If Tiger is so disciplined, why the childish outbursts? Seems that controlling that behavior would help his game.
  • I don't watch a ton of golf, but certainly my fair share. I do not recall another player throwing a club. I am sure that it has happened, but I missed it. The face of professional golf is a a highstrung, spoiled brat that thinks that he is entitled to win every match. If it was your kid, you would be ashamed of his attitude.

I have tremendous respect for his game and dedication to the sport. He needs to grow up though.

Either way, he looks like he is close to a mental and perhaps physical meltdown and may have one or two seasons left. Just my 2 Cents.
  • been saying for a few years now

TIGER IS DONE

PGA championship proved it....

his decision to do roids was a bad one......

increased his temper CUSSING/CLUB THROWING.....decreased his clutchness....

• << <i>TIGER IS DONE

increased his temper CUSSING/CLUB THROWING.....decreased his clutchness.... >>

This from a guy the defends a "28" year old balding slugger that is obviously juicing.

Read up a few replies. Tiger has finished 1st, 1st, 2nd and 2nd in his last 4 tourneys. If it hadn't been for a late round miracle eagle by a relatively unkown player, it would have been 3 victories out of thelast 4. Yeah, looks like he is fading to me.

• << <i>

<< <i>TIGER IS DONE

increased his temper CUSSING/CLUB THROWING.....decreased his clutchness.... >>

This from a guy the defends a "28" year old balding slugger that is obviously juicing.

Read up a few replies. Tiger has finished 1st, 1st, 2nd and 2nd in his last 4 tourneys. If it hadn't been for a late round miracle eagle by a relatively unkown player, it would have been 3 victories out of thelast 4. Yeah, looks like he is fading to me. >>

wanted to make sure everyone sees your ignorance...
  • LSU. you really are a tool "bill" you take any chance you get to rip Pujols....

i just checked you ebay store LOL what a joke! junk nobody wants at high BIN....i have maybe 50 cards each worth more than your whole "store"

tool who shoots his mouth of on boards....

you hate pujols because you are jealous you missed the boat on his cards and have all junk instead...

• << <i>tool who shoots his mouth of on boards.... >>

Pot meet kettle.

My "junk" averages over $1000 a month in sales.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Coinmaniac,

When the only person who will support your thesis is Fandago, that usually means that it is a little far-fetched. I am not a big fan of Tiger, but I have to give the man his due. He is simply the best out there now and he has a mental edge on the field. As soon as Fandago agrees with your side of this issue, that signals that you may want to completely rethink your position. At least that is what I would do.

Joey

PS, Why does Puljos have such bad back acne?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

• << <i>Coinmaniac,

When the only person who will support your thesis is Fandago, that usually means that it is a little far-fetched. I am not a big fan of Tiger, but I have to give the man his due. He is simply the best out there now and he has a mental edge on the field. As soon as Fandago agrees with your side of this issue, that signals that you may want to completely rethink your position. At least that is what I would do.

Joey

PS, Why does Puljos have such bad back acne? >>

Thank you for the heads up CrimsonTiger. Only time will tell if I am right or wrong. I see a certain weariness in TW this season and think that his leg is still causing a lot of trouble. Not easy to walk 5 miles a day, day after day on a bum leg. Again, I greatly admire his tenacity and aknowlege that we will probably never see another player like this in our lifetime. I was a fan of his early on, but got sick of the tantrum crap.

I give hime one more season.
    He could easily be a major player for the next 15 years- even though an attitude adjustment seems to be in order.

• As he is getting closer to his goal of 19 major wins he is finding the going more difficult
    than when he was younger so it is understandable that his frustration level is rising.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    No, the tourney is not over ... but is the OP watching the BMW?

Do you still think he is done?

My guess is that YOU DO NOT!!!!! LOL

Tiger WILL be around for just a little while longer!!!!!

ANOTHER BIRDIE!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Kind of hard to say someone is DONE when they shoot a 62. 62 ... WOW!

WTG TIGER!!! AMAZING ROUND!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Wow!

Talking about shredding his competition! What a sight to behold!

Tiger's "A" game!

rd

P.S.

I was waiting to watch the US Open (rain delay), so I turned on PSA Golf. I was fortunate to see something very special in sports.

"The greatest in his sport, playing his greatest!"

imageimageimageimageHeavy Fuel imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageWho Knows? imageimageimageimage
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Could the Tiger be done?"

////////////////

ZERO chance.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
    Just goes to show the OP knows nothing about the game of golf.

Tiger was actually very close to winning the PGA. Did anyone count how many putts he missed by a whisker??

But to suggest he's finished is truly mind boggling.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Fandango making fun of Bill's collection or Ebay store is low class. Nobody cares if your collection is better than Bill's I am sure there are 1000's of people out there that would make yours look pathetic.

Nice job on throwing a temper tantrum worse than anything Tiger has done when your boy Pujols is questioned.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • I've actually bought "junk" from Bill's store on multiple occasions. And I will continue to do so most likely. Guess that means my collection is junk too.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Yep! Tiger does it again!

19 under par

And best of the rest? 11 under par

Yeah right! Tiger's done my @$$ image

rd

The rest of the story!

Tiger Woods coasts to a runaway victory
    09/14/2009 | 07:52 AM
    LEMONT, Ill. – Tiger Woods left the drama to everyone else at Cog Hill.

One day after his course-record 62 gave him a seven-shot lead, Woods made sure no one else had a chance Sunday in the BMW Championship. He closed with a 3-under 68 for an eight-shot victory over Jim Furyk and Marc Leishman.

It was his sixth victory of the year, and assured Woods the No. 1 ranking going into the final tournament of the FedEx Cup and its $10 million prize. Woods won for the fifth time at Cog Hill, and it was his 10th career victory by at least eight shots.

"It felt like we had a tournament within a tournament," Furyk said. "Tiger was seven ahead. He was kind of running away. It was kind of a tournament for second place."

That other tournament wound up being quite a show.

As Woods cruised around Cog Hill in his familiar red shirt, a dozen players behind him were scrambling for positions into the FedEx Cup finale at East Lake in two weeks.

Furyk's runner-up finish moved him up 15 spots to No. 3, meaning he can win the FedEx Cup with a victory at the Tour Championship. Leishman, who only qualified for Cog Hill by making an eagle on his last hole a week ago outside Boston, earned his first trip to the Tour Championship and will have an outside shot at the $10 million.

Most compelling, however, was the battle for the 30th and final spot.

The heartbreaker belonged to Brandt Snedeker, playing in the final group with Woods. Walking up the 18th hole, he learned he only needed a bogey to finish in the top 30. He missed his 12-foot par putt, then watched in shock as his 3-footer for bogey caught the left lip of the cup. Snedeker was so stunned that he missed the next two putts and took triple bogey.

"I can't believe I did this," Snedeker said. "I just made a mess of it."

That allowed John Senden to capture the 30th spot by less than a half-point over Ian Poulter, two players who were hardly clutch down the stretch. Senden had a 90-yard wedge to the green at the 15th and chunked it so badly that it traveled only 50 yards. Two holes later, he nearly hit a bunker shot over the green and into the water to make double bogey.

Senden finished with 1,532.41 points. Poulter, who hit his approach into the water on the 18th, wound up with 1,531.95 points.

Far for easier to compute was Woods winning.

He finished at 19-under 265 for his 71st career victory, leaving two short of Jack Nicklaus for second on the PGA Tour's career list. Woods also tied Sam Snead with his sixth season of at least six victories.

Woods won for the first time since his aura was slightly tarnished at the PGA Championship, where he lost a lead in the final round for the first time since he was a 20-year-old rookie. Y.E. Yang rallied from two shots behind to beat him at Hazeltine, ending Woods' streak of never losing a major with at least a share of the lead.

No way he was about to lose this one — not at Cog Hill, and not the way he was hitting shots and making putts.

The closest anyone got to him was six shots when Woods missed the fifth fairway and failed to convert a 10-foot par putt. He made it look easy, yet still provided a few thrills.

Woods sent his tee shot well to the right into the trees on the par-5 ninth, leaving him a 20-foot wide chute under the trees. He smacked a 3-iron low, straight and under the branches, just a little too far. Blocked by a tree on his third shot, he played a low hook and ran the ball onto the green to 15 feet. He made the birdie.

Walking off the green, he shrugged his shoulder and smiled. Indeed, everything went his way this week in the Chicago suburbs.

He added an eagle on the par-5 15th when his approach bumped off the collar of the green, caught a ridge and rolled to 6 feet. From there, all that remained was his margin of victory.

Cog Hill became the fourth course where Woods has won at least five times. He has won seven times at Torrey Pines and Firestone, and six times at Bay Hill.

Now comes the hard part.

Woods' sixth victory likely sewed up another PGA Tour player of the year award — no one else has won more than three times this year. And while he has a 1,504-point lead over Steve Stricker, the points are reset for the Tour Championship.

As the No. 1 seed, Woods will have 2,500 points, with Stricker at 2,250. The rest of the top five are Furyk, Zach Johnson and Heath Slocum. All of them can win the FedEx Cup with a victory at East Lake. Everyone else will need some help. - AP

imageimageimageimageHeavy Fuel imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageWho Knows? imageimageimageimage
    I will stand by my earlier comments, however, EVERYONE does not always finish first and character is reflected in both winning and finishing second or third.

• Maybe Coinmanic was on to something back in August.

• << <i>

<< <i>tool who shoots his mouth of on boards.... >>

Pot meet kettle.

My "junk" averages over $1000 a month in sales. >>

BILL LSU ARE YOU STILL PROUD OF THIS?

HA!

you admit you are a scammer

• << <i>Fandango making fun of Bill's collection or Ebay store is low class. Nobody cares if your collection is better than Bill's I am sure there are 1000's of people out there that would make yours look pathetic.

Nice job on throwing a temper tantrum worse than anything Tiger has done when your boy Pujols is questioned. >>

im open for apologies......admit when you were wrong Morgoth

tried to warn you all about bill BUT NOBODY LISTENED
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and winning 19 majors could be a pipe dream. >>

Looks like this fellow nailed it.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares......he is a big jerk. Where as Jack had class and was a better golfer.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Who cares......he is a big jerk. Where as Jack had class and was a better golfer.

It pains me to say that I agree with Dimeman verbatimimage

<< <i>Who cares......he is a big jerk. Where as Jack had class and was a better golfer. >>

True, but up until recently we have suffered through 15 years of all Woody, all the time.

@coinmanic said:
    His knee is probably bothering him and winning 19 majors could be a pipe dream.

Good call!!

@VitoCo1972 said:
    <<
    And he's still on the way to 25 majors, guys. Calm down. And this coming from someone who really doesn't like the guy.

Bad call!

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

Yeah I guess so!! HA!!!

BTW: I still don't like him.

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

Some may and some may not like him for whatever reason they have. The only thing that matters in golf is whether you can play or not. Obviously with numerous injuries to his knee and back it has sidelined him for a few years with intermittent attempts to come back. I have nothing but admiration for a guy, a champion, who tries to overcome personal and physical problems to play at a level that few have achieved or ever will achieve. PGA golf has struggled in those same years to crown a new, dominant player that will help them move on from Tiger's awesome run. Rory, Dustin, Jordan, Ricky, and Jason have all had their day in the sun but none have lapped the field like Tiger did. The T.V. ratings and the purses they play for today reflect the influence that Tiger had on the game. Don't you think that the T.V. ratings for the Safeway Open last week would have been tremendous if Tiger had been ready to play? As it was, did anyone really watch the Safeway Open? Who won? I, for one, wish Tiger all the best in his recovery and hope for a successful return to competitive golf. Golf, I believe, still needs him.

@coinmanic said:
    << Coinmaniac,

Joey

PS, Why does Puljos have such bad back acne? >>

Thank you for the heads up CrimsonTiger. Only time will tell if I am right or wrong. I see a certain weariness in TW this season and think that his leg is still causing a lot of trouble. Not easy to walk 5 miles a day, day after day on a bum leg. Again, I greatly admire his tenacity and aknowlege** that we will probably never see another player like this in our lifetime. **I was a fan of his early on, but got sick of the tantrum crap.

I give hime one more season.

Tiger is not in the same class as Jack or Arnie....not by a long shot!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charlie Rose on Public TV yesterday had a 1 hour interview with Tiger. Was very interesting. Catch it on a replay if any are interested.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

In my opinion, Tiger is finished winning anymore golf tournaments.

Injuries, rustiness and a whole group of very talented newcomers who don't fear him any longer eliminate him from anymore victories.

In his prime, I don't think anyone can argue Tiger was the very best at his craft.

Nice guy? Class act? Who really cares and it truly doesn't matter at all. Look at the greats from the past. Hogan was a real pr**k when it came to off course manners. Sam Snead treated Moe Norman like dirt. Who knows how many 'nice guys' on camera are true bigots and classless acts when the cameras are turned off. Some were gentlemen like Byron Nelson, but in the end, your golf legacy isn't based on your off course mannerisms. It's how many times you won that counts.

Tiger stands at the top of the list.

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    In my opinion, Tiger is finished winning anymore golf tournaments.

Injuries, rustiness and a whole group of very talented newcomers who don't fear him any longer eliminate him from anymore victories.

In his prime, I don't think anyone can argue Tiger was the very best at his craft.

Nice guy? Class act? Who really cares and it truly doesn't matter at all. Look at the greats from the past. Hogan was a real pr**k when it came to off course manners. Sam Snead treated Moe Norman like dirt. Who knows how many 'nice guys' on camera are true bigots and classless acts when the cameras are turned off. Some were gentlemen like Byron Nelson, but in the end, your golf legacy isn't based on your off course mannerisms. It's how many times you won that counts.

Tiger stands at the top of the list.

He is way below Arnie and Jack.........plus some others.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a Tiger apologist but I can't see how he is "way below" Arnie. Tiger has 14 majors and the grand slam, not to mention 3 US Amateurs.
    Arnie was a great ambassador for golf and brought golf to the masses when television was just starting to help popularize the sport. But he won seven majors and never won the PGA so he never won the Grand Slam. As a golfer, Tiger achieved more and I don't think even Arnold would dispute that.
    Is Tiger done? I hope not but the more time passes, the more I fear he will never win again. Early in Tiger's career, Lee Trevino warned that Tiger was putting too much strain on his back based on the torque created by his swing and needed to find a way to change that or risk his career ending sooner than it should, Trevino has been right about a lot of things, including that. I hope Tiger comes back -- tournaments are clearly more interesting when he is involved. But it is hard to picture the dominant Tiger ever returning.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2016 8:28AM

@breakdown said:
    I am not a Tiger apologist but I can't see how he is "way below" Arnie. Tiger has 14 majors and the grand slam, not to mention 3 US Amateurs.
    Arnie was a great ambassador for golf and brought golf to the masses when television was just starting to help popularize the sport. But he won seven majors and never won the PGA so he never won the Grand Slam. As a golfer, Tiger achieved more and I don't think even Arnold would dispute that.
    Is Tiger done? I hope not but the more time passes, the more I fear he will never win again. Early in Tiger's career, Lee Trevino warned that Tiger was putting too much strain on his back based on the torque created by his swing and needed to find a way to change that or risk his career ending sooner than it should, Trevino has been right about a lot of things, including that. I hope Tiger comes back -- tournaments are clearly more interesting when he is involved. But it is hard to picture the dominant Tiger ever returning.

I think Tiger was putting to much strain on his back in between the sheets. Torque of another nature

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark,
    Ha! Tiger might have lost his mojo. A good friend of mine is adamant that as soon as Tiger's secret life was exposed, his dominance of golf was over. I have never been able to wrap my head around the logic but so far it has played out that way.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• I don't understand it as either? My guess is that he just has more on his mind, and less confidence. I would love to see him come back as the old tiger for one season though.

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

Pat Perez seems to think so!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woody out of the Masters.

Was thinking that he should retire with honor....then realized that golfers never do retire. Well at least not since Bobby Jones.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deserves a TTT I suppose.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiger Woods has had personal problems for quite a long time now. he should probably stop worrying about Golf and make an attempt to save whatever is left of his personal life. when he does that he'll probably be able to compete with some consistency.

@Coinstartled said:
    Deserves a TTT I suppose.

Should have let it die.......like Tiger.