Home Sports Talk
Options

The ONLY time the starting 9 were ALL ROOKIES in a MLB game.

DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
WOW! Check out some of the names!

Houston Colt .45s starting lineup, September 27, 1963

* Sonny Jackson, ss (also making his MLB debut)
* Joe Morgan, 2b (future Hall of Famer)
* Jim Wynn, cf ("The Toy Cannon"; 290 career home runs)
* Rusty Staub, 1b (2716 career hits)
* Aaron Pointer, rf
* Brock Davis, lf
* Glenn Vaughn, 3b
* Jerry Grote, c (played for 1969 "Miracle Mets")
* Jay Dahl, p
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    That was also Jay Dahl's only major league game.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting sick and tired of all the threads on here pertaining to or mentioning Jerry Grote...who cares about Jerry Grote!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm getting sick and tired of all the threads on here pertaining to or mentioning Jerry Grote...who cares about Jerry Grote! >>

Cause I'm DA MAN!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>That was also Jay Dahl's only major league game. >>

Yeah ... he was only 17 in that game ... died two years later, at age 19, in an auto accident on the way home from a game.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    should have taken the bus..
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm getting sick and tired of all the threads on here pertaining to or mentioning Jerry Grote...who cares about Jerry Grote! >>

Cause I'm DA MAN!

image >>

Cool pic with Berra teaching some catching techniques for throwing to second base.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about the first year of MLB? Wouldn't they all be rookies that year?
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options

<< <i>what about the first year of MLB? Wouldn't they all be rookies that year? >>

As a matter of fact ... NO. MLB did not recognize the term "ROOKIE" until 1919, when a first year ballplayer asked why they didn't have a special award for "us kids". After meeting for over 10 straight hours, a vote was taken on whether the term "Rookie" should be applied to a grown "man". Upon a vote of 8-4 it was passed that they should. Immediately there was an uproar from a few teams that stated it should be retroactive until at least the beginning of World War 1. Many baseball players who were serving time fighting were upset at this new award, as they did not believe most of those people were good enough to play ... they were only playing because the BETTER players were in the armed services.

OK ... OK... I'm getting tired of making up a story ... Good question about the first year of MLB! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That was also Jay Dahl's only major league game. >>

Yeah ... he was only 17 in that game ... died two years later, at age 19, in an auto accident on the way home from a game. >>

Nick Adenhart...
  • Options
    dboneesq.......

you had me believing the story.... now finish itimage

ROY started in 47 with the Jackie...... so that could be the "starting" pointimage

Go Phillies
  • Options

<< <i>dboneesq....... you had me believing the story.... now finish itimage >>

HAHAHA ... next chapter ... LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Tug McGraw.

"I'm sick and tired of all the treads on here pertaining to or mentioning Tug McGraw...who cares about Tug McGraw's later years!...."

rd
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Well talk about the rookie year of Tug McGraw (not those later years with the Phillies)! image
    Mets rookie Tug McGraw beat Sandy Koufax! It was the one and only time the Mets ever beat Koufax!

rd