Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

When were football cards released during the early 1980s?

Does anyone know or remember what month Topps football cards were usually released in the early 1980s?

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In Late September early October.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Well, the reason I ask is because of this card. Joe Delaney died in late June of 1983. Consequently there is no way this autograph could be real. (And yes, common sense says football cards wouldn't have been released until late summer/early fall.)

• Very interesting.I think Steve is right about when they released.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Interesting for sure. Good catch.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    VERY NICE FIND! I'd REALLY like to find out if it's possible that they may have produced some cards early on as a "test" type issue. If not ... you found a MISTAKE!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I can definitely remember buying the 83's in late August. It was my freshman year of college and I remember them coming out right after I got to school, which was the 16th.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Interesting catch, is this where someone swears up and down that BGS is the way to go and how they are the newly crowned King of grading.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I think it varied by year. I was in college in the late 1980's and when I went back to school (mid/late August), I always looked forward to going to the local cards stores since we didnt have any here locally. They always seemed to have a supply of the newer stuff on hand, so at least in the late 80's, they had to come out early August. I dont remember before that though.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5-4-3-2-1...Poof goes this thread.

Great catch and shows why we need competition in the grading/authentication business.
    Mike
    Why does this thread go poof?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I say it is certainly possible. I'd bet anything the cards were printed and possibly distributed to some places by 6/29/83. The guy died a hero and him signing a new FB card for someone wouldn't surprise me.

While the timing makes it very tough, I think the auto should be evaluated on it's merits vs. being discarded out of hand.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does this thread go poof?

Steve >>

Is this a rhetorical question Steve?

If not? Let me guess.

Cause it can?
    Mike
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    It's frustrating not really knowing because I was thinking about buying this card. (Seller has a $125 reserve BTW.)
    I was in the business and the candy wholesalers around here got them in September/October.

It wasn't until 1987 that Topps started issuing the new baseball set before the start of the new year.

Which moved everything up. IIRC 1987 Topps baseball came out in Nov. of 86.

back in 83 it was different. Baseball came out in Late Feb early March.

But then again I'm only going by my experience.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Pretty much all autos are fake.