Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Warning for eBay Sellers - Opt Out of "Share your Photos" NOW!

Sorry for the mostly off-topic post. But I stumbled across this information and was pretty disappointed that I had received no notification of this forthcoming change:

http://pages.ebay.com/catindex/photo.html

<<Share your photos for a chance at valuable exposure

If you'd like your user ID and a link to your My World page featured on an eBay product details page in the eBay product catalog, now's your chance. Starting September 1, 2009, eBay will begin considering the photos sellers upload to their eBay listings for possible inclusion in the eBay product catalog. We may, at our discretion, select one or more of your product photos to represent a product in the eBay product catalog. If we do so, we'll acknowledge you as the person who contributed the product photo by referencing your user ID and providing a link to your My World page on the product details page for the product featured in your photo.

Please note that being opted into the program does not guarantee that any of your photos will be selected for inclusion in the catalog.>>

Mine was defaulted to "Yes". Without my consent and with no prior notification. Sucks, but now it is set to No. If you don't want other users being able to freely use your photography in their eBay listings you must make sure you opt out by Sept 1st or any image you have on eBay up until you opt out is theirs to allow other eBay users to utilize.

Now, commonsense would dictate that eBay would not do this to the coins catalog wherein so many items would be considered unique to themselves. But I wouldn't place any money on it.

The "opt out" is in Site Preferences under My Account.

Comments

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Done! Thanks for the heads up. image
  • Options
    good catch...
    I'm merely the keeper of fine metals.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The upside appears to be much greater than the downside.

The concern over other sellers using your photos is slightly overrated.

peacockcoins

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long before they stop letting you hsot your own photos?
  • Options
    what about the 3rd party authorizations section...this is terrible...It basically can and will give any and all info to ebay partners...OPT-OUT now!!!!
    I'm merely the keeper of fine metals.
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Opted out.
    ED
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it does not read like it allows other users to use the photos. It reads like the sharing will be with eBay alone.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Just followed your instructions......Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    What if I want a chance for my photos to be used BUT I host my own photos? Looks like they only consider photos uploaded to their systems which I don't do.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, just opted out.
  • Options
    pheh

done........thank you....
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I have opted out.

A very sleazy move on eBay's part, but with their current management team nothing surprises me.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Where does it say that other sellers get to use your photos. I think you misread it.

I put my name on each photo so I'm fine with them using them in their catalog. I'm not fine with other users using them but won't opt out until it is made clear that is the intent. --Jerry
  • Options
    Thanks, I too opted out.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Here is a bit more detail.

<<I emailed Griff yesterday to ask some questions about the eBay catalog that I saw discussed on a couple of threads. Below are questions I asked and his answers. 'Sorry it's kinda long...

Me: What is the eBay product catalog?

Griff: "Basically, any item that has a serial, UPC, or ISBN number can be cataloged. On eBay, some categories (like Media, some Electronics, and sports equipment, to name a few) lend themselves to cataloged data. (Others do not, for example, Antiques, Art, most Pottery and Glass, most of Collectibles, etc. Sellers in these categories are and will remain unaffected by this new feature since their items will not be “catalog”able)"
    "This data for appropriate items on eBay is collected and stored in the eBay Product Catalog. By the way, eBay has used third party product catalogs in the past (since 2001) for categories like electronics, media, etc. This is our first launch of an eBay-created Product Catalog."

Me: What is [the catalog's] purpose?

Griff: When a seller lists a new item (not used) in a category for which there is catalog data, he can select to use the eBay Product Catalog data (including standardized description details and stock photos) for filling out his listing. This makes it easier to list the item and provides item data that can help a buyer find the item in a search. Here is an example. I started a listing for a “wii accessory”
    Link

"If I select the details for one of the catalog items, it shows me the actual data details (and stock photo)"
    Link

"This information will be added to my listing and it will be much easier for a buyer to find it when searching for this particular Wii accessory."

Me: How will buyers find it?

Griff: "Buyers don’t find it. The catalog itself is not visible to buyers. The catalog lives behind the scenes. The data in it is available, by item, to sellers when they list an item if the seller chooses to use it for attaching data (and photos if necessary) to their listing. What buyers DO see is a search results “Product Page” (again, only for those categories where there is product catalog data). Here is the product page served up for a search on eBay of “wii.” "
    Link

"The photos on the top of this page are examples of “catalog photos.” "

Me: How is it different from searching eBay if everyone opts in?

Griff: "The number one factor for ranking items in Best Match is relevance. For sellers who have opted in, their items will be easier to serve up in a relevant Best Match search since we will have more data about the item based on the matching data in the catalog. For example, when a buyer searches for “blackberry battery,” Search can serve up those items that match items in the catalog for “blackberry battery” instead of relying primarily on item title keywords (which are not uniform across sellers and which can also be “gamed” – keyword spamming)."
    "In an ideal world, where every seller opts in (not all will), a buyer who searches categories where catalog data is available, will see only relevant results. In the real world, where not all sellers opt in, a buyer will see all relevant items first and non cataloged items will be displayed below items listed with catalog data."
    "Again, this pertains ONLY to those categories where catalog data exists. It does not pertain to those where no data exists, for example, all Antiques categories, all Art categories, most Collectible categories, Vintage clothing, most Pottery and Glass, etc)."

Me: Why would a seller want to opt in?

Griff: "For sellers who list items in these categories and who opt in: If we choose your photos to represent a product in the eBay product catalog, you'll get an attribution including your user ID and a link to your profile page whenever your photo is used on a product details page. This can give you extra exposure to a larger audience of shoppers."
    Link

Me: Are concerns that {sellers'] photos might be used by other sellers if they opt in to the catalog valid?

Griff: "If a seller opts in, their catalog photos will be available to other sellers of identical items to use in their listings. (not similar, identical. Unique, one of a kind items do not have catalog data, are not catalogable, and those photos will NOT be made available to other sellers)."
    "Finally, if a seller does not wish to have their photos included in the Product Catalog, they can and should opt out of the program.">>

In essence it would mean that your photograph would be used to pull up a "Catalog" of whatever it was you had photographed. Not something I want my photos utilized for. No, it probably won't effect Coins, but history seems to dictate that it would be prudent to err on the side of caution when eBay is involved.
  • Options
    Typical Ebay.......

8 steps to opt out of something you never asked for in the first place.........................
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    If a seller wants to use my photo with my ebay ID on it, that's fine with me. If I saw that as I buyer I would go find the guy the photo belonged to and buy from him.

If I went to a chevy dealer and found they had cars with "Ford" written on them, I might just amble over to the Ford dealership to see what it was all about. --Jerry
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

<< <i>If a seller wants to use my photo with my ebay ID on it, that's fine with me. If I saw that as I buyer I would go find the guy the photo belonged to and buy from him.

If I went to a chevy dealer and found they had cars with "Ford" written on them, I might just amble over to the Ford dealership to see what it was all about. --Jerry >>

So if you were looking for an PR70DCAM SAE you'd go find the guy the photo belonged to before you looked at the lower priced ones? No offense, but I believe you would be in the minority. Regardless, the issue is as much about losing control over your intellectual property as it is about an occasional utilization of your images to sell someone else's product.

In all fairness if I sold nothing but books, DVDs and the like I'd "Opt In" in a heartbeat. Though I will point out that in the end this system is HEAVILY weighted to favor the big boys who have more product to push and less to lose from letting someone use their photograph.

But, I'm not here to change your mind on eBay's new policy. And though I readily admit my headline was intentionally written in an alarmist tone, it was merely to ensure that those who would want to opt out would be more likely to read the thread as the deadline for ensuring none of your images are used is tomorrow.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they want to use my photos they can pay to do so.

They don't work for free and neither do I.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<How long before they stop letting you hsot your own photos? >>
    I have no doubt this has already been pointed out, and is in the works, all about the fees.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    there was a 1922 Peace dollar talked about in another thread with a 'stock photo' it was too small to see anything
  • Options
    Apparently today is some sort of cut off date, and it lets me get in there and remove the check mark, but does not let me finish changing it and save it: "Your Preferences are not available at this time."

Edited to add, oops, gotta read better next time, it worked when you leave the check mark in!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'm out
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    I used a catalog item several weeks ago to sell a printer. I don't think the catalog feature will work with coins and probably will not be used for coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file