Home Stamps Forum
Options

Good investment... not.

Stumbled across this image in an eBay lot: a 1983 receipt showing purchase of gold replica stamp covers for $6.50 each.

Now, 26 years later, if you can get 50 cents apiece for them, you're VERY lucky...

Comments

• Options
    If you wait another 20 or 30 years, the gold will be worth 50 cents, maybe.

I guess this is exactly why I don't buy for investment, only for enjoyment.

Rolin
  • Options
    Yep, pure garbage. Well if the USPS goes under (without a bailout) stamp collecting will likely become even less relevant to a younger generation.

Here's a question: How many letters have you written and mailed in the last 6 months? Just mailing something doesn't count, actual communication with another person of substantial content (say half a page or more)
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

coinpictures, I hope all those numbers and address in that pic are things long since of no relevance to someone being able to track you (or whomever) from online!

edueku, welcome back! good to see you here again image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a question: How many letters have you written and mailed in the last 6 months? Just mailing something doesn't count, actual communication with another person of substantial content (say half a page or more) >>

Outside of formal communication with companies or organizations who have yet to embrace the electronic age, I have not written an actual letter in over a decade. I don't include holiday cards in that; I mean actual letters whose sole purpose was to chat/get up to date with someone I know.

Email and texting are the communication methods of today (although I have yet to embrace the latter).
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a question: How many letters have you written and mailed in the last 6 months? >>

I have written about 9. Most of them have been to fellow collectors and the subject of stamp varieties. I have written two to non collectors.