Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever found a valuable coin in your overstuffed chair

Everyone has experience with sofas and coins. Non magnetic metals are attracted to sofas.

What about the overstuffed chair? You know, the one you sit in, sipping cognac, browsing numismatic references. Suppressing your frothy frenzy so that you can get a clear look at a special coin under the nearby lamp.

How many valuable coins have you inadvertently let slip into between the cushions of the overstuffed chair?

Comments

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Once we decided to re-upholster an old chair that my mother had gotten from my grand mother; we found a couple walkers wedged down in the side of the seat.

At that time I was a stamp collector, so they went to my brother who was collecting coins- I found out later that he used them to buy cigarettes image
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    No stuffed chair but when I first removed the back seat of my 1968 Plymouth Road Runner I found a Franklin half and 2 Silver Washington quarters.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No AdamBearSanctionLongacre.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    No coins, just a couple of Milk Bones my dog buried in there.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a 1945 Merc in one of my grandmother's chairs once.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    As a child, the thing that ignited my interest in coin collecting was a small cache of coins my father had set aside in childhood - contained therein were a few silver roosies, Washingtons, and a Franklin, as well as a few well-worn type coins that with diligence could still be found circulating in the early 1950s, such an Indian cent, a well-worn Barber Dime & a Liberty nickel, several dateless Buffalos, two Walkers, a Long Island half, and about a dozen Morgans that my Grandfather had won in a Vegas slot machine.

The day I found these coins, I sat with them in our old blue recliner, lining them up on the velvety arm rests for individual examination. At one point the chair shifted, and one of the Morgans dropped into the chair - I made every effort to find it, but it was lost in the mechanism - or was it just my imagination that it had gotten lost in the first place?

Years went by, and finally it was time to throw the chair away. It got dragged out to the corner for collection, and while it was there I decided to take one last sit in it - after all, it was quite a novel thing to see our old family chair sitting outside on the lawn. When I pulled the lever to extend the foot rest I heard something drop - it was the Morgan dollar I had lost in it years before, which I had all but forgotten about!

Incidentally, my father & I in our ignorance polished all of those Morgans soon after I got my hands on them - I still have them in the little metal pirate chest he kept them in as a child - because that one Morgan got lost in that chair for all those years, it was spared the same fate as the others.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 80's I was sitting in one of my parents overstuffed chair while viewing coins in my collection. I dropped one of my coins down between the cushion and side of the chair, and when I reached down to retrieve it I found not only my dropped coin, but a Walker and a Buffalo nickel. As I recall, the nickel was a 1918 but I don't recall the date of the Walker. I know that I still have them and if I happen to come across them I will post a photo or two.
  • Options
    nope- no coins, but I did find a empty condom package in my 'loveseat' before I got married.

it had an expiration date on it- 12/2001..
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    Harlan bought a bunch of new chairs for our gallery and was getting rid of the old ones. Seeing as there was nothing wrong with the old ones I took them for my new apartment. As I was turning them over to bring them down stairs to put them in the truck several ancients fell out. Nothing too major but a few thousand retail total.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file