Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Reminder to protect your images by tomorrows deadline

Remember to opt out of the image sharing program by tomorrow or else ebay has the option of taking scans from your auctions and placing them in a library for others to use.

I think this is possibly one of the worst idea ebay has ever had -- I guess if you are selling a 53 Archives Mantle you can just pull the image of a graded one from the library to use in your auction. Scammers already steal photos -- this just makes it easier.

More information on the program and the instructions on how to opt out

I apologize if this is a repeat.

Jeff @ CavalierCards

Comments

• Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    Thanks for the link. I opted out.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    thanks

wouldn't let me image

Your preferences are not available at this time. Please try again late
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder, I just opted out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder, Jeff. I just went and took care of it (Took maybe 30 seconds).

This image sharing stuff has disaster written all over it for those of us who buy cards. What is ebay thinking?
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    If you can't opt out send an email or call and I bet during your on hold time on the phone you will be able to opt out. I did this and as I was waiting I went back and lo and behold I was able to opt out. They just want to make it hard on you!

Scott
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Just opted out.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ditto. thanks Jeff. image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder. Opted out. Kiss it Ebay!
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Thanks......I just opted out. Not that I really wish to use ebay to sell anymore.............
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bad things can only happen from this, from a collectors point of view

thanks for the reminder

hank
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks, I am out.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Just opted out.
    I can see the value and ease of this if you're selling say, Apple ipod earbuds, where they all look the same and have the same price.
    Ebay can generate more sales from people who want to sell but don't have a scanner or digital camera.
    But for items like collectibles, it encourages fraud.
    Perhaps ebay should limit the category options where this is available.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    This is what I get...

Your preferences are not available at this time. Please try again later.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    nevermind, fixed it. I had to log out and back in again. that allowed me to do it
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Thanks!
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I've opted ou.

I don't use ebay much anymore, but I will do my part in not letting people misuse images.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the alert. I hadn't even heard of this program, though that probably has more to do with how irrelevant eBay has become to my collecting than to inattention to detail. Not at all good for the hobby.

And, Hun, your sigline makes me think of this column I read earlier today. Great cards, by the way. I wish I could find a nice EPL set to collect. The recent Match Attax or whatever they're called just don't do much for me.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I can't believe the default option is to share your photos.

I've opted out.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I can't believe the default option is to share your photos."

/////////////////////////////

It might be a little hard to get folks to "opt in," if the default was "opt out."

It may be important to note that ANY listings that are/were
    live PRIOR to "opting out," can/will be jacked by EBAY.

ONLY pics posted AFTER "opting out" are protected.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, thanks for the heads up. I did not even realize this. I have not paid too much attention to ebay this summer. I will opt out.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the alert. I hadn't even heard of this program, though that probably has more to do with how irrelevant eBay has become to my collecting than to inattention to detail. Not at all good for the hobby.

And, Hun, your sigline makes me think of this column I read earlier today. Great cards, by the way. I wish I could find a nice EPL set to collect. The recent Match Attax or whatever they're called just don't do much for me. >>

Amen ! I am a worshiper ... but I grew up with all the American sports - I just got bored with them. Now with Fox Soccer Channel and GOLTV ... I got my fix 24/7.

If you want high end EPL cards - try WCCF, FUTERA ... or the Upper Deck Manchester United - they are out of my league (that's why I collect Topps Match Attax)

BTW - how did you get the Arsenal team logo into your posts ?
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder.

OUT
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up.

I made like a baby and opted OUT!
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Just opted out, thanks for the reminder!
  • Options
    Another "Thank you, I didn't know that was coming." Also had to log out/in in order to opt out.

Even found where to change buyer requirements and fixed it so I don't have to enter them on every auction as an added little bonus.

THANK YOU!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although its been a couple years since I sold on e-bay I have opted out. I would probably forget to do it later when I sell again.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Great. Another opt-out instead of an opt-in. Thanks for the reminder. Items, like graded cards with their own unique cert number, should not be used by anyone other than the owner of that specific card. These items are much different than a CD or book or clothing item or any other commodity.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    This issue is a big mess eBay has never properly dealt with, a few years ago I had someone hijack my image for a non generic item and then dropped his price $1 below mine, felt like he was selling my stuff under me, this new policy is silly as others have mentioned graded cards are unique items.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Opt out complete. Thanks for the reminder!!
  • Options
    thanks for the link.
  • Options
    Same here -- thank you for the reminder
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder.. I opted out.
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    Just opted out. Concerned about Storm's comments that previous photos for live auctions (e.g. store listings) could have been captured prior to opting out. Does this mean we have no recourse? or can we end store listings and reload and those images are no longer eligible?
    WANTLIST
    1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
    1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
    1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
    2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up!!!! Opted OUT
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Opted out. Not a good idea on their part. You should be asked if you want to opt in, not automatically included in some scheme.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just opted out. Concerned about Storm's comments that previous photos for live auctions (e.g. store listings) could have been captured prior to opting out. Does this mean we have no recourse? or can we end store listings and reload and those images are no longer eligible? >>

/////////////////////////////

The way I read the notice, the "official" capture STARTS at the deadline.

ANY listings that are BOTH:

Active PRIOR to the opt-out AND subsequent to the deadline, would
    be captured.

Provided that you opt-out PRIOR to the deadline, existing listings should
    not be subject to capture.

IF you opt-out AFTER the deadline, ALL existing listings would be subject
    to capture.

In practice, it is likely that EBAY has ALWAYS had the "right" to retain/use
    the images posted.

The current announcement serves as notice to perfect that "right."

//////////////////////////

EBAY UA

Content

When you give us content, you grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, trademark, publicity, and database rights (but no other rights) you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future.

For the convenience of sellers, we may offer catalogs of stock images, descriptions, and product specifications that are provided by third parties (including eBay users). You may use catalog content solely in connection with your eBay listings during the time your listings are on eBay's sites.

While we try to offer reliable data, we cannot promise that the catalogs will always be accurate and up-to-date, and you agree not to hold our catalog content providers or us responsible for inaccuracies in catalogs. If you choose to include catalog content in your listings, you continue to be fully responsible for your listings and for ensuring that your listings are accurate, do not include misleading information, and comply with this User Agreement and all eBay policies. The catalogs may include copyrighted, trademarked, or other proprietary materials. You agree not to remove any copyright, proprietary, or identification markings included with the catalogs or create any derivative works based on catalog content (other than by including them in your listings).

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.