Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Crossover question

Was curious, do BGS vintage cards crossover well to PSA? I have a 1961 Mantle #300 BGS 6 (not BVG). subs are 6,5.5,6,6. Will put up a scan later, but just wondered if anyone has had sucess with these type of crossovers?

Comments

• Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone questions if BGS/BVG cards will crossover to a similar grade because of condition...bigger issue is if PSA will find that they are trimmed/doctored since Beckett is horrible at this. Example - I cracked 8 BGS/BVG 9 and 9.5's...PSA found all to be trimmed, and sure enough when I got them back they didn't match up.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was curious, do BGS vintage cards crossover well to PSA? I have a 1961 Mantle #300 BGS 6 (not BVG). subs are 6,5.5,6,6. Will put up a scan later, but just wondered if anyone has had sucess with these type of crossovers? >>

if it is a nice 6, it is better to crack and sub in my opinion. Could go either way all depends on the quality of the card.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do it all the time. But, PSA looks at things a little diifferent than BGS. I have an BVG 8.5 Eddie Murray come back a PSA 7 than resubbed to Bvg and got an 8.5. I have had a 1968 Willie Mays BVG 6 crossed to a PSA 8. I have had a 1972 Willie Mays BVG 8.5 crossed to a PSA 7 then resubbed an got a BVG 9. On and on. So it's about 50/50 on what will happen. You will have a 15 - 20 % success rate on crossovers and maybe a little better if you remove from holder than sub. But who knows, overall. I have had 3 out 14 crossed still in the holder, mostly I remove them and then sub.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    They sure do!
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I have found the original BGS holders (for vintage cards) to be very good for crossover. I even had a card bump one full grade. I would definately submit it in the holder first.

• Options

<< <i>I have found the original BGS holders (for vintage cards) to be very good for crossover. I even had a card bump one full grade. I would definately submit it in the holder first. >>

Think i'll try it in the holder first. It's in an original BGS holder, so hopefully it comes back the same grade or better. The holder is so scratched up it's really hard to see the card.

Thanks for all the responses.

Wayne