Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Like Storm Says Park It And Forget It YeeHah!!!!!

Good Day,
Just a thanks to Storm and his Sage advice to start a Store a little over a year ago. It has been a great year with a few downs (7 Day Timeout is one) but mostly ups (Sales this last year $40K, not bad for a part time home deal).
And Storm alway preaches "Park It in Your Store and Forget About It", great advice. Latest example, I had a 1955 Topps Rails and Sails Card graded GEM MINT 10 a few years back, only the 10th ever graded 10. Contacted the two Registry Set Leaders and no Sales of any of the other 9 had happened in memory. So nobody know what it was worth, they both tried to get it for $300.00 Seemed a little low to me so I said no and put it in one of my Safety Deposit boxes. So I open my store and threw it in there for $1500 OBO and forgot about it. A year later I get up this morning, and there is an Offer for $1200.00...Bam Sold!!!!!!
Sage advice Storm and Thanks
YeeHah
Neilimage
Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Awesome...

"7 day timeout" could you elaborate please...
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Felicia,
    I pulled something stupid against a Clown who negd me for nothing and E-Bay removed me for a Week. Lesson learned. Just move on from the negs, too many clowns to worry about one or two a year.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Similar results with my store this year and had 1 month that I shut it down temporarily. Had a lot of activity in teh last 2 months too.

The cards I sell typically do not have a monetary value anywhere near what Neil sells. However, it seems the last few months I will sell 2 or 3 cards a week for a lot more than I think they are worth and they had been sitting in my store for months.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I will agreed with the above as well.

Even though I have taken an ebay vacation in selling the last 6 months, when I did sell, I would put items in my store that would sit there for several months and at only a few pennies each, I could afford to let them. Cards that I am sure would only bring a buck or two at auction would eventually sell for $5-$10. It may have cost me 12 cents more to keep them in the store for a few months longer, but the added money more than made up for it.

Bottom line is....if its a good product, it will eventually sell, even if its a bit higher than normal in price.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Glad you got a homerun.

"Set It And Forget It" is the correct way to play the EBAY game,
    unless you want to do a LOT of work, run big volumes, and often
    sell stuff for far less than you would get if you were just PATIENT.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Neil.

How much does it cost to run an ebay store? Do you only pay when an item is sold? Or is there a monthy fee?

That's something I might consider in the future to handle my dupes and stuff.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations Neil.

How much does it cost to run an ebay store? Do you only pay when an item is sold? Or is there a monthy fee?

That's something I might consider in the future to handle my dupes and stuff.

mike >>

You took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's something I might consider in the future to handle my dupes and stuff.

mike >>

////////////////////////////////////

You could build a little museum with SUPER HIGH prices, and then cut
    the prices as you get ready to actually start selling. Tho some of the
    high-prices would STILL generate sales.

As much as I like to beat-up on EBAY, their store product is a fine value.

(ecrater.com is FREE, but you have to buy search-engine adwords to generate substantial traffic.)

EBAY Subscription fees

Basic
    $15.95 / month

Premium
    $49.95 / month

Anchor
    $299.95 / month

Store inventory format basic fees

As an eBay Store owner, you have access to an additional listing format called Store inventory format. You can use this format to list your items at a set price, so buyers can purchase items immediately (without bidding). These listings have a longer duration and lower insertion fees compared to the auction and fixed price formats but have less visibility in search results. When your item sells, you'll also pay a final value fee.

Note: Store inventory listings appear in your Store with other regular auction-style and fixed price listings. They also appear in eBay.com search results when there are 50 or fewer non-store listings.

Insertion fees
    Price
    30-day duration
    Good 'Til Cancelled*

$1.00 - $24.99**
    $0.03
    $0.03 / 30 days

$25.00 - $199.99
    $0.05
    $0.05 / 30 days

$200.00 and above
    $0.10
    $0.10 / 30 days

*Good 'Til Cancelled listings are charged every 30 days.

**Store inventory listings have a minimum starting price of $1.00.

Note: The insertion fee covers a single listing (with any quantity of items in the listing), whether you list 1 or 1,000 of the same item.

Final value fees
    Price
    Final value fee

Item not sold
    No fee

$1.00 - $25.00
    12.00% of the closing price

$25.01 - $100.00
    12.00% of the initial $25.00 ($3.00), plus 8.00% of the remaining closing value balance

$100.01 - $1,000.00
    12.00% of the initial $25.00 ($3.00), plus 8.00% of the initial $25.01 – $100.00 ($6.00), plus 4.00% of the remaining closing value balance $100.01 – $1,000.00

Over $1,000.01
    12.00% of the initial $25.00 ($3.00), plus 8.00% of the initial $25.01 – $100.00 ($6.00), plus 4.00% of the initial $100.01 – $1,000.00 ($36.00), plus 2.00% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01-closing value)

Note: You can earn a Store referral credit and save 75% off final value fees for Store inventory listings when you promote your Store and attract buyers from outside eBay.

(You just put the discount code in links on ANY other social pages/websites you post on.)

store fees

//////////////////////

Nice looking stores do best.

A professional logo is step one.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.