Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pete Maravich second year card auto!

This one went for a smooth $438.99.

Given that no one has ever seen a Pistol Pete Maravich 1970 topps rc auto, I can see why collector paying high dollars for his 2nd year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230369711204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4837wt_1165

Comments

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Looks like a sharp card with a weak auto. But does come with a COA so that has some stand up power. I would enjoy it in my collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a sharp card with a weak auto. But does come with a COA so that has some stand up power. I would enjoy it in my collection. >>

Yes i would too ... I wish I had bidded higher image
  • Options
    NICE!!! image

You don't see too many Maravich autos out there...
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    is that true that there are not any "known" RC autos out there?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>is that true that there are not any "known" RC autos out there? >>

Based my conversation with other hardcore basketball rc auto collectors, none has been seen on any auction before.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    The dude lived for 18 years after that card came out. I would believe it's almost impossible that he didn't sign a few of them in those 18 years.
  • Options

<< <i>The dude lived for 18 years after that card came out. I would believe it's almost impossible that he didn't sign a few of them in those 18 years. >>

Yea I am sure there are, I am guessing that whoever has the few copies are holding them tight in their collection. It would be fun to see one one day on ebay! You think it can easily go for at least 2K?
    M
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    You never know, maybe he didn't like the card so wouldn't sign it? It wouldn't be unlike
    a sports or celeb. to be weird about their auto. My question is when did he start adding bible inscriptions?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>You never know, maybe he didn't like the card so wouldn't sign it? It wouldn't be unlike
    a sports or celeb. to be weird about their auto. My question is when did he start adding bible inscriptions? >>

That was after his playing days were over and he got "saved". Somewhere around the early 80's.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Maravich signed a lot of stuff, especially in his post playing career. You really do not see many signed cards of him though, and most you see are ink and often lack eye appeal. I can only think many collectors are holding onto their Pistol autos. I agree that there are a few RCs signed out there somewhere and if one surfaces it will sell for a comparable price to the Clemente signed rookie.

What did that 6 card lot sell for on Mastro? I could not find it, I certainly would have bid heavily on it.
  • Options

<< <i>Maravich signed a lot of stuff, especially in his post playing career. You really do not see many signed cards of him though, and most you see are ink and often lack eye appeal. I can only think many collectors are holding onto their Pistol autos. I agree that there are a few RCs signed out there somewhere and if one surfaces it will sell for a comparable price to the Clemente signed rookie.

What did that 6 card lot sell for on Mastro? I could not find it, I certainly would have bid heavily on it. >>

Allen, yea I tried to find the original auction from Mastro to see how much that went for too image

Have you all seen Wilt Chamberlain signed rookie auto ? Wilt passed away in 1999 and he was a good signer too but I haven't yet seen his 1961 fleer auto rc on ebay for the past couple of years.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I got quite a few autos of Pete when he played with the Jazz. Unfortunately, none of them was ever on a card. I only have one left. It was from when I was ten years old and attended the Pete Maravich Basketball Camp in 1976 and there is a certificate with a photo of Pete with all of the campers (me included) and he has signed the certificate "Pistol Pete". It is one of my most treasured autographs.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I got quite a few autos of Pete when he played with the Jazz. Unfortunately, none of them was ever on a card. I only have one left. It was from when I was ten years old and attended the Pete Maravich Basketball Camp in 1976 and there is a certificate with a photo of Pete with all of the campers (me included) and he has signed the certificate "Pistol Pete". It is one of my most treasured autographs.

Sam >>

That's awesome you got see Pete in person!

There is also the route of getting his expensive cut auto