Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Seeing Doubles - identical #1/1s!! A new cardboard story!

From time to time, I get random people that contact me about Mark Brunell cards they have. Most times I have what they are offering. In the rare occasions that I actually need/want the card, it's usually offered to me at "out of their minds" requests such as "need an Adrian Peterson SPA Gold Auto/Patch," "PSA or BGS Gem Mint Graded Joe Montana RC" or "looking for a HDTV"! Once all those disappointing and greedy inquiries are done with, I do get a legit sane person every blue moon. This story is one of them!

A guy from Minnesota emailed me about a "1998 Collector's Edge Odyssey Single Edge #1/1 card." He said it was from a wax box that he bought from the now defunct Shinders chain back in 1999-2000. I was ecstatic because I already own two of the three Mark Brunell #1/1s from this set. As always in my correspondence, I ask for front and back scans/pictures of the offered card.
Here's the scan: 1998 Collector's Edge Single Edge Quarter 1 of 3 #64 (#1/1)
imageimage

I noted to myself, "That's not the Single Edge Quarter 3 of 3 I need!?! Don't I have that already?!?" Immediately, I made a special trip to the offsite bunker and searched thru the boxes and boxes of cards I had. Voila...I DO have that card.

Regardless, after informing him that the card wasn't a true #1/1, we still discussed a trade and came to an agreement. But like most who contact me, he hadn't collected for years and had never sent any cards in the mail before. With my history of bad luck with poor packaging by sellers and traders, I sent him his cards (Main card was an Adirian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson and Terrell Owens Triple Threads Jersey #/9) and a care package that included a prepaid return bubble mailer to me along all the supplies with step by step packing instructions. Within a week, the trade was completed...wow a smooth problem free transaction!!! A rarity!!!

Here are the two IDENTICAL #1/1 cards together.

It is the 1st Collector's Edge double #1/1 I've encountered (not counting printing plate many of which I have multiples plates of the same color). Over the past years, I've seen various Single Edge "proofs", that is cards in various stages of completeness, but none that are 100% complete.

Although you are seeing double #1/1s of the same card, it's not the 1st of it's kind in my collection. Previously, in 2006 I completed these double/triple #1/1 sets: See Cardboard Story #8 [url=http://www.freewebs.com/markbrunell/archivedcardboardstories.htm]http://www.freewebs.com/markbrunell/archiv...oardstories.htm[/url]

Both from 1998 Score Showcase One of One (#1/1) #PP46 and #PP144!

Thanks for stopping by and reading my story! Much appreciated!
Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    that is pretty crazy / cool.. thanks for sharing
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    There is a Terrell Davis collector who has 2 of the 1999 UD 1/1's. One BGS 9 and One PSA 9.
  • Options
    They are both counterfeit. Sorry!........................nice cards, nice collection! image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the first I've seen of this kind of thing.

At least that I remember - just shows how easy it is for the printer to let a few 1/1's slip out.

I do wonder if one was an extra - perhaps in case someone sends in a damaged card? And later on, it 'backdoored' into circulation?

Anything's possible.

Still cool cards - and interesting.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I used to have two 1998 Score R/T Albert Belle 1/1 cards and two 1998 Ultra Masterpieces for Belle also.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to have two 1998 Score R/T Albert Belle 1/1 cards and two 1998 Ultra Masterpieces for Belle also.
    image >>

Hey Bill, if ya burn one of them, the other will be worth so much more money!

Mike
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

EXCELLENT topic!

verrrrrrrry intuhresting
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jaderockjaderock Posts: 185 ✭✭

<< <i>I used to have two 1998 Score R/T Albert Belle 1/1 cards and two 1998 Ultra Masterpieces for Belle also.

image >>

Regarding the 1998 Ultras...did you get one or both BEFORE Fleer went bankrupt?!? A Larry Johnson collector has 2 Ultra #1/1s as well. That said, I sent in a 2000 Ultra Brunell #1/1 to Fleer because it had "teeth marks" from the sealing pack process and they sent me a letter stating "#1/1s do not have replacements", so that is odd.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Great story and brings up a good topic. A local dealer pulled a babe ruth 1/1 serial numbered card, then he found the same card on Ebay, same card (just a insert not GU or Auto), he said UD gave him the run around about variations but it was the exact same card, no variation. Also, many people don't realize that as inserts printing plates are 1/1 but through a production of a set they use a ton of them, they are very cool don't get me wrong, but it's a big hobby misconception that they were used to "make all the cards".
  • Options
    All four Belles were purchased off of eBay between 1999-2001 and later sold off as pairs in 2005 or 2006. So, the Scores were after Pinnacle's downfall but the Ultras were many years before Fleer's.
  • Options
    jaderockjaderock Posts: 185 ✭✭

<< <i>Great story and brings up a good topic. A local dealer pulled a babe ruth 1/1 serial numbered card, then he found the same card on Ebay, same card (just a insert not GU or Auto), he said UD gave him the run around about variations but it was the exact same card, no variation. Also, many people don't realize that as inserts printing plates are 1/1 but through a production of a set they use a ton of them, they are very cool don't get me wrong, but it's a big hobby misconception that they were used to "make all the cards". >>

In the last few years, sets like UD Legendary Cuts and Diamond King has done parallel #1/1s to death many time with slight differences.

As for printing plates, I was one of those folks that thought ONE set of plates made the entire 1,000,000,000 run on the cards image

Since then, I have multiple sets of this:
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    And this post adds to my reason for not spending any money on modern garbage cards to one-million-and-one!