Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 Cracker Jack 4-in-1 ( Proofs? Samples? )

After just learning that PSA won't grade the 1992 Topps Gold Brien Taylor Auto (#793G from the factory set), I've started worrying about a few of my other recent submissions:

They are "quad" cards from 1991 Topps Cracker Jack featuring 4 players on each, and measure the standard size. I have heard previously that these are proofs of some sort, but the details have remained ambiguous at best over the years and I haven't seen enough of them to gauge their value/availability. So, while I probably should've inquired before submitting, I figured I ought to ask the registry set collectors:

Do these show up in the registry? They feature all the players in the mini sized set. Will PSA even grade them? Anyone have any experience submitting these?

imageimage

Thanks for the help!
My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would PSA not grade the 1992 Topps Gold auto Brien Taylor?
  • Options
    They had to have it go through the auto certification first. Which is strange, because it only exists in that form (no unsigned #793 exists) and was issued in factory sets with a certificate of authenticity.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    They will not slab the 4in1s. It stinks.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>They will not slab the 4in1s. It stinks. >>

Very lame. That's 4/15 subs that I won't be getting back.

Any additional info on these cards?

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I love these cards. I've the whole set. 16 cards, I think. All I know is that they were handed out to dealers as promos, and because no one can confirm if they were "pre-cut" in to 4in1s or were only available as full uncut sheets, PSA will not grade them. Although I have no doubt that some full sheets exists (they always do), I have never seen the full sheets or know of anyone who has personally seen them. As time goes by, I am more inclined to believe that the 4in1s did come as they are now.

I love the '91 Topps issue by the way. Topps had no less then 8 different sets based on the same design that year.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    FYI, in my earlier research, this was the only article I found regarding the '91 Cracker Jacks. It does sort of mention the 4in1s, but only in passing.

http://promomagazine.com/incentives/marketing_cracker_jack_strikes/index.html
  • Options

<< <i>I love these cards. I've the whole set. 16 cards, I think. All I know is that they were handed out to dealers as promos, and because no one can confirm if they were "pre-cut" in to 4in1s or were only available as full uncut sheets, PSA will not grade them. Although I have no doubt that some full sheets exists (they always do), I have never seen the full sheets or know of anyone who has personally seen them. As time goes by, I am more inclined to believe that the 4in1s did come as they are now.

I love the '91 Topps issue by the way. Topps had no less then 8 different sets based on the same design that year. >>

Thanks, great info!

I have only seen the singles/sets available a few times over the years, never an "uncut" sheet, but they are very interesting indeed. I'm wondering what it will take to get PSA to recognize them. Does anyone know if BGS recognizes them?

• Options
    So, PSA will grade those 80's All-Star Game Program inserts that are hand-cut to feature any number of different combinations, but they won't recognize a Topps/Borden issued promo set? Is this because there isn't a confirmed source for their release to the public? Or is it a matter of them being potentially "hand cut" in origin? If the latter, then they should definitely add these to the registry and grade them.

• Options

<< <i>They will not slab the 4in1s. It stinks. >>

Do any other companies grade them? Obviously I'd rather them PSA graded but I figure I'd ask if anyone has tried any other of the services.

• Options
    I've seen an uncut sheet before, but the seller wouldn't come off of his price tag, so I didn't bite. There was recently a complete set on eBay, but I'm not sure if it sold. A 4in1 with the Thomas sold recently on eBay for around $7 I think. I also gave one to another Frank Thomas collector a week or so ago...a lot of activity with these lately.

As for anyone grading these, not that I know of, but I bet BGS would do it if you talk to them.
  • Options
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and contact BGS, I guess image .

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Do you have an extra Griffey?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have an extra Griffey? >>

I have a Griffey with the psa submissions but it looks like they are going to get mailed back to me. I am going to try to get BGS to recognize/grade them.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    My SCD big book says "these are sometimes found on 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 cards bearing four different
    of the mini cards; these were cut from sheets illegally removed from printer."
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>My SCD big book says "these are sometimes found on 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 cards bearing four different
    of the mini cards; these were cut from sheets illegally removed from printer." >>

Yeah, I read this in the SCD guide too. But I have also heard that they were given out as promotional items back in 1991 and that they are samples/proofs. I've yet to get any hard confirmation on their origin. None of the copies I own look like they weren't cut professionally. As mentioned previously, they look like they were meant to be issued in this form (at one time or another).

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Looks like a 4-in-1 panel made it through PSA. It's mislabeled. Given that this is the size of a regular card I cannot fathom how a grader thought this was a 4 panel box bottom.

Anyway, pretty cool thing to have for a player collector. I couldn't quite pull the trigger at $300, but someone did pretty quick.

LINK
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    My experience has been that they won't even grade the regular version of the card anymore. They removed the one I had from my Ripken Master Set and labeled it "illegally removed from the printer".
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>My experience has been that they won't even grade the regular version of the card anymore. They removed the one I had from my Ripken Master Set and labeled it "illegally removed from the printer". >>

That is such garbage. I've always thought these cards were cool and it makes no sense that PSA doesn't grade them.
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My experience has been that they won't even grade the regular version of the card anymore. They removed the one I had from my Ripken Master Set and labeled it "illegally removed from the printer". >>

That is such garbage. I've always thought these cards were cool and it makes no sense that PSA doesn't grade them. >>

I thought so as well.
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    Most PSA lovers complain about BGS grading sheet cut cards and complain when PSA won't grade cards that may have been sheet cut. Awesome.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the '91 Topps issue by the way. Topps had no less then 8 different sets based on the same design that year. >>

Hear, hear!

The 1991 set had great photography, a mix of action and portrait shots, clean, simple design. I love the look of this set. It looks great in a binder.

My only knock on it is the quality of the card stock.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>Most PSA lovers complain about BGS grading sheet cut cards and complain when PSA won't grade cards that may have been sheet cut. Awesome. >>

The single cards were distributed in cracker jack boxes. You can find tons of them on ebay still in the CJ packaging. There is no reasonable explanation for PSA not grading the singles. I've heard it's because they are so small, but they are no smaller than many of the stamps they grade (i.e. 82 or 83 Fleer stamps, I can't remember which one is the small one).

As for the 4-in-1 panels, most people agree (except PSA) that they were distributed to dealers in these panels. I'm not bent out of shape about PSA not grading the panels, although I think they should. At least the explanation that they can't confirm they were meant to be distributed that way is reasonable if true.

Jbox
  • Options
    Surprised they did that...in the three years since this thread, I've settled on the premise that these were hand cut from the promotional panels that were released, and that they were never released precut from the sheet. I own a couple of the sheets now. With the conclusion that they are indeed hand cut from a promo sheet, I don't think they should be slabbed.