Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best way to store a vintage set?

Just wondering what the consensus on the best way to store a '60s set is? The first one I built is done all in Card Saver I holders but I'm thinking about doing my next vintage set in a binder. I would say the overall grade of the cards is NM. I'm sure lesser conditioned sets would for sure go in binders. I guess if presentation is your thing, the binder might be the best way to go. What about shipping a complete vintage(approx. 600 card) set, binder or Card Savers in vault box?

Comments

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    mine are all a mix of graded and raw so I keep all of my raw ones in Card Saver I's. I put them in order and store them in the Card Saver boxes. It's very easy access for viewing and the Card Saver's are by far the best looking for raw cards, imo. I think that is a good selling point for the ones I've built to sell as well. It only cost's $30 or so bucks to put the set into card saver's but the eye appeal is worth way more than that from a seller's standpoint.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I prefer top loaders and sleeves for smaller sets and the larger card savers for vintage sets as you dont have as much an issue getting the card in the holder. You can't store them in the white shoe boxes that way but I hate the smaller holders sometimes.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    At my house image

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    jmoran stole my answer.image

i'd sooner endure the plagues than put nice cards in a notebook, unless you like ring divots on your card surfaces.

PSA slabs + Card Saver I's = Happy Collector image
  • Options
    aluminum foil baby
  • Options
    Leadoff, I've got a couple of my dad's old '50's sets and some of my '67 set in these:

Sportstech Top Loader Albums and Pages

This is not a cheap option, but to me it was a nice compromise between protection, cost, and ability to view cards easily. You'll need a top loader and soft sleeve for each card, plus sufficient albums and sheets. I found that in several years, the cards hardly move around within the pockets or toploaders at all.

A couple downsides: The cards are in three layers of plastic, so the view is not crystal clear. Also, the pages tend to stick together, though not horribly so, if they are not moved for some time. I don't remember exactly what I paid 6-7 years ago, but if I were to do this for my '67 set today, the cost would be over $100 for the albums and sheets alone. I have been pretty satisfied with these overall, but am moving my '67 set out of the albums as I have cards graded from it.

Perhaps there are better solutions out there for ya, but just wanted to share what worked for me.

Todd