Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What coin design was in use the longest?

I'm just curious...
Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Comments

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I'll say the Dutch gold ducat

1586 until now (423 years) with very minor modifications along the way.

Standing knight on obverse and inscription within a decorated square on the reverse.

imageimage
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That's definitely a good contender. I have no clue but I'll throw some more ideas out -- Venetian coins used the design of Jesus on one side with St Mark and the doge on the other for centuries, though of course the name of the doge changed. And if we're going to ignore the writing on the coin, Chinese cash coins win hands down. image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Athenian Tetradrachms were minted for a couple of hundred years. In more modern times it was possible to get 1880's era Swiss 5, 10 and 20 rappen coins in change - because until ca. 1986 the design didn't change.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Spoon,

You are correct .....the Ventian ducat was minted in its basic design from 1274-1797 ... 523 years

imageimage
  • Options
    I didn't realize that the 268-year old Maria Theresa Thaler was such a non-starter in the longest issue derby!
    Roy

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    For a completely unchanged type, how about the Swiss Helvetia coins, particularly the 10 and 20 rappen. Aside from using different alloys during the 1930s, WWII, and from the 1980s onward, I thnk these are pretty much unchanged from the 1870s - including the lettering!

Edit: I see SaorAlba beat me to the punch on those....

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    someone or some god seated holding something, facing right or left is a common type of design that has been around for 2 millennia
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    What was the earliest coin featuring denticles?
  • Options
    I've also heard that the Venetian ducat was the most imitated coin type. Can anyone corroborate that?

<< <i>What was the earliest coin featuring denticles? >>

Interesting question! but I think we may need a more complete definition... My understanding is that "denticles" are unique to milled coinage - that they help the flow of metal and forming the rim allowing for stacking (or something like that?) Coins minted on a roller press have featured toothed rims on the outer surface (think Austrian). Ptolomaic coins often featured a beaded border, as did several other contemporary coins. Does that count?
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting responces. Thanks for the info! I would not want to try a date set for any of these...has anyone ever tried it?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    The Venetian ducats began their run before Europeans used dates on coins. I'm fairly certain there aren't any regular issue ones with dates on them. Rather they'd have to be collected by the ruler (doge), but even that is no easy task. Die varieties are possible, but I'm not sure many outside of academic level collectors have attempted to even distinguish those (there is no reference so far as I know for such a thing and most issues were rather crude). Multiples were made, usually for presentation, some in dinner plate territory. Really a neat area to collect, but it can get pricey quick. IMO, a lot of Venetian coins are overvalued.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...And if we're going to ignore the writing on the coin, Chinese cash coins win hands down. image >>

I'd have to agree with spoon there. Clearly, by far the winner in the "longest used coin design" competition is the Chinese cash coin. The formula of four characters written around a square central hole was first used by the usurper emperor Wang Mang in 7 AD, and the versions with either "tong bao" or "yuan bao" were in continuous use in China from 621 AD right up to the early years of the Republic (circa 1920) and up to 1946 in Vietnam - nearly two millennia of near-continuous use.

There are other designs which were used in ancient times and used again in more modern times, but these are more "restorations", modern artists copying ancient and mediaeval designs once used long ago, rather than a story of continuous use. The images on many modern Israeli coins are often based on those used on ancient Judaean coins, for example, and "Britannia seated" first appeared on ancient Roman coins. Other examples can be found in the Italian, Greek and other coin series.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)