Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question About the Issuing of a Refund

Hi! I am respectfully asking for some input regarding the issuing of a refund for a recent eBay transaction.

I sold a raw Mantle card from the 1960s through an eBay fixed price sale and the seller paid with PayPal. I had purchased the card as raw earlier in the year and inspected it closely before attempting to re-sell it. The card measured properly and nothing looked out of the ordinary under 10x magnification. I felt confident stating in the fixed price listing that the card was guaranteed not to be trimmed or altered.

The buyer has contacted me, requesting a refund. He indicates that he sent the card to SGC and it was designated as trimmed. The seller wants a full refund of his purchase price and return postage. I have no problem with that all.

The seller also wants a $40 refund for the 3-day grading service and to-and-from postage incurred. I have told him that I will only consider that refund after he provides proof that SGC deemed the card as trimmed. Even if he does this, is the $40 refund a reasonable request?

I have a 100% positive feedback record over 10 years on eBay and I’m looking to protect that. However, I don’t want to be taken advantage of. Before selling the card, I inspected it and noted nothing suspicious. I would think that the buyer inspected the card closely and saw nothing suspicious before submitting it to SGC. We both took measures to make sure the card was “above board,” but yet I’m expected to fully burden the cost of the grading fee. That doesn’t seem fair to me. Does it seem fair to you?

Thanks in advance for any input provided.

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    The $40 sounds like a lot, but the way things are set up the buyer almost has to use the expensive fast service. If he sends it regular, it might take too long to get a grade and his time for a paypal/ebay complaint might have run out.

I've bought items that were rejected and even though I got my purchase price back I've always felt a little cheated that I lost my grading and shipping costs.

The $40 might be good enough to get you a decent feedback and a repeat buyer. Less than the $40 might have less satisfying results.

Edited to add - when SGC rejects a card for trimming, they give you a sticker on the cardsaver showing where it is trimmed. Also if you talk to Brian (almost positive that's his name) they will slab it as authentic if you pay the shipping. A trimmed 62 mantle in an A holder is better than a trimmed 62 mantle in no holder.

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    If I had inspected the card and didnt guarantee a grade, I would have a hard time giving a refund. Why? Because who is to say this buyer didnt trim the card and send it to SGC. But its a case by case situation. Wait until you receive the card before you issue a refund.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would never entertain a request for a refund on grading fees.

Also, how much time has elapsed since he purchased this card?

Only after I received the card back I would then refund his purchase price.

SGC, PSA or whatever grading service is simply an opinion.

If this buyer wanted a graded card he should have bought an already graded card.

if the card came back as a SGC 88 would he be willing to offer you more money?

Please Let us know who this guy is so we can block him if we so choose.

Also, the auction number would be good too.

Good for you.
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    A full refund including shipping would be fair. I would not refund the grading fees. I'm sure he feels you owe him as you did state, "I felt confident stating in the fixed price listing that the card was guaranteed not to be trimmed or altered." But as stated earlier...you have no way to know for certain he didn't alter the card before submitting.

My concern is that you get back the card you sold.

As an alternative to refunding the grading fee; I would suggest you offer to send the card to PSA or even SGC yourself. Grading is subjective. If it comes back trimmed again then I guess you have to write it off to your poor eye when it was picked up. We've all done it at least once!

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    I wouldn't refund the grading fees. I'd take the hit.

Recently, I sold a PSA 7 wax pack. Pack had rips from loose gum and that was mentioned in the description and shown in the pic. Buyer said he called PSA and they said there's no way they would of graded that a 7. I told him I dont make PSA slabs and it either graded that way or the damage happened after grading. Either way, the pic and description was accurate and not my fault he failed to see that. I took the feedback hit all over a $20 transaction. I'd do it all over again the same for a $5 one. Unfortunately he lied in the fb by saying I never responded to his complaint. When we had a few emails about it. Oh well.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Tell him you will return his purchase price when the card is received by you.

When it comes to return postage, that is up to you. I would say no on paying to get the card back.

His grading fee? In a polite/PC way tell him to blow it out his corn hole!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    When listing an item always leave yourself an out, never guarantee results.

There are a lot of variables here: how much was the transaction, what is the guys feedback, how long has he been on eBay, et cetera. Look at his feedback and contact a few members that left him positive feedback for his business and see if they have had similar results.

If you even think about giving the guy a refund on the grading fees then you need to have the original receipt and all documentation SGC provided the buyer as if you are purchasing the fees and the card back, these items belong to you.

AND 40.00 seems a bit harsh, if I understand it correctly the buyer has 90 days to file a claim, therefore he should not have sent that card in under special fast service of any kind, that is on him.

You WILL eventually get a negative on your feedback record. When you do you will regret that you caved in this transaction over feedback.

Afew months ago I bought a set of cards for 215.00 from a guy who said that every card would grade at least an 8. I knew that wouldn't happen, but I was expecting to get some OK (7's to 8's) on some key cards...everyone except a few 5's and 6's came back "Trimmed" I contacted the seller and he said he would give me the money back, but I also had to give him the cards that graded...loss on my part but I never asked the guy for my grading fees.

good luck,

patrick
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    No way I pay the grading fee. I would refund everything else.

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "..."I felt confident stating in the fixed price listing that the card was guaranteed not to be trimmed or altered...."

///////////////////////////

That is a very bold/risky/silly "guarantee" to offer, on a raw-card
    that you bought from a third-party.

The OP did not state when the sale was completed.

If all deadlines for PayPal-claims and feedback have passed,
    you will simply have to decide if your "guarantee" is good.

If the deadlines have NOT passed, it is prolly "fair" to refund
    the buyer's purchase price. (The grading fees should not be
    refunded.)

No matter what you do, the guy will likely leave you a NEG
    if the deadline to do so has not passed.

If the buyer paid by credit card:

Even if the PayPal deadlines have passed, the buyer can
    still file a credit-card chargeback; he would prevail in that
    claim.

I would, of course, be concerned that the card might have
    been switched OR altered by the buyer.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    f I understand it correctly the buyer has 90 days to file a claim,

45 days is the time PP allows.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>f I understand it correctly the buyer has 90 days to file a claim,

45 days is the time PP allows.

Steve >>

///////////////

Yup....

13.3 PayPal Buyer Protection

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal Buyer Protection?

You must meet all of these requirements:

•Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.
    •Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.
    •Send the payment to the seller through:
    •The eBay "Pay Now" button, or
    •the eBay invoice,
    •Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you sent the payment – then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution.

•Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

EBAY "Resolution Center" nonsense...

Opening a case

Timeline: 10 to 45 days from when you paid for your item.

EBAY Feedback:

After your transaction, you have a full 60 days to leave Feedback.

Notwithstanding any language to the contrary in the card-member's
    agreement, credit-card "chargebacks" should be seen by sellers as
    a nearly-endless potential liability.

A claim of "fraud" in a chargeback may be entertained YEARS after
    the sale is made.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I would NEVER refund anything other than the original purchase price/shipping.

Do you think he would have given you extra had the card come back a higher grade where he could have flipped it for an extra couple hundred? He chose to send it in to get it graded and try to profit...his risk...his loss.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    The only problem with that (And I said the same thing as you)
    is:

" I felt confident stating in the fixed price listing that the card was guaranteed not to be trimmed or altered."

Even so, you did not guarantee grading fees. The card came back EOT and you will gladly refund purchase price.

I'd even pay shipping both ways.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    The guarantee wasn't a smart thing, but the $40 seems harsh. Can't really see why the seller would trim the card, then send it in. Switching the card, that i can see. Probably best to put a sticker on the top load, and state no returns once broken. You have to protect yourself.

Pay for the refund and return shipping. I wouldn't return funds until you get the card back. Hopefully everything works out.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    also - if you absolutely 100 % said the card was not trimmed, and then the buyer finds out through a "professional" grading service that it was trimmed (or could have been trimmed, as it is an opinion) then quite frankly, with your "guarantee", which failed, you probably deserve the negative for providing the buyer with a negative experience...

....everyone else - am i wrong with that?
  • Options

<< <i>also - if you absolutely 100 % said the card was not trimmed, and then the buyer finds out through a "professional" grading service that it was trimmed (or could have been trimmed, as it is an opinion) then quite frankly, with your "guarantee", which failed, you probably deserve the negative for providing the buyer with a negative experience...

....everyone else - am i wrong with that? >>

///////////////////////////////

The problem - setting aside any possible fraud on the buyer's part - was
    clearly caused by the seller's reckless "guarantee."

If the seller honors his "guarantee," he probably does not "deserve" a NEG.
    (Tho, he will likely get one any way.)

A "guarantee" should cover that which the seller has control over.

Here, the card came from a third-party AND was "examined" by
    another third-party. I don't see the logic of trying to "guarantee"
    that combo.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Maybe he already owned a trimmed card and is switching his card for yours? I would not pay the $40 dollars.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Patrick I see no problem with the buyer giving a neg. With that said, the "guarantee it being not trimmed"

did not include grading fees. It simply IMO was an open ended statement. The seller could state that his guarantee

includes only a refund of the purchase price. I know mine would.

I too doubt the buyer trimmed the card or is pulling a fast one.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    One other point, grading services have been known to be wrong.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>One other point, grading services have been known to be wrong.

Steve >>

/////////////////////////

THAT is precisely why sellers should NEVER "guarantee" what a TPG-opinion will be.

Guarantees of "authenticity" are safe, but the "condition opinion" that a TPG will offer
    is simply NOT possible to know in advance of submission.