Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the 25-D cent in 66RD pop 1 or 2?

I was looking at the upcoming Heritage auction and noticed that the description of the 25-D cent in 66RD stated it was the single finest example. However, the population figures provided state pop2.

Some clarification from anyone with access to the pop report would be apprecicated.

Also, has anyone seen the coin in hand?

Thanks for the help,

Jack

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Jack,

As for your pop request, perhaps you should PM Don Willis. image

Heritage states that it is pop 2/0 in the video as well but notes that it might be a duplicate of the same coin (i.e. a crackout - but if so wouldn't YOU return the old cert? image )

LINK

I've seen it & it looks like a nice 65RD but perhaps got a bump 'cause it's one of the nicer (nicest?) ones of its date/mm extant (the pics IN the slab look better):

imageimage

• Options
    Probably a pop 2 as Roger has surmised. If you had a pop 1 would YOU keep the insert so
    it appeared to be pop 2?

I compared to ECM's MS 64 Rd in the Registry and the one at auction is clearly better. Compared to Kevin Michael's MS 65 Rd it's a bit
    lighter but perhaps more like a high end 65. Yet, most 65 Rds I've seen of this date are considerably darker than the Heritage piece, so maybe for that reason alone PCGS called it a 66. On a tough Lincoln like the 25-D they won't bestow that grade lightly. Their risk of a regrade/downgrade would be far too costly for them. It IS the nicest I've seen of that date, FWIW.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa! $69K w/ juice on 8/27. Recession? What recession?

Also, FWIW, the 25-d ranks right up there with the 26-d as the worst struck Lincoln in the entire series. Aside from the weak "O", that one looks superlative, with a nice even patina. One I wouldn't be one bit ashamed to own image

My old 65RD for comparison:

imageimage
  • Options

To all,

Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on you guys.

I agree, if someone resubmitted a pop 1 coin, they would have every reason to turn in the insert to keep it a pop 1 coin. It also does not make any sense to resubmit such a coin. It certainly is not going to upgrade to 67RD! My confusion came from Heritage's description as the single finest certified or something to that effect.

Thanks again,

Jack

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Jack,

It still might be the single finest certified just perhaps not uniquely a PCGS MS66RD. image
  • Options
    Nice 1925-D you just posted, Matt. Looks familiar image

Ira
  • Options
    sorry-it just doesn't do it for me. I guess the denver strike shows. also because of a weak strike, weak luster as the metal flow here is non-existent.
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sorry-it just doesn't do it for me. I guess the denver strike shows. also because of a weak strike, weak luster as the metal flow here is non-existent. >>

The luster shows much better in the 'slab shots' on the Heritage siteimage

Very nice coin.
  • Options

Not sure I would trust any images to buy a coin like this, but from what I do see, it looks like it would go nicely with my 25-Simage

Jack

• Options
    Jack - dang you are really stepping up these days - GSW's must be paying much better in the great lakes.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack, your wallet may have a GSW if you buy this coin! I know mine would.image
    Doug
  • Options

Yes, getting a little pricey.

Jack

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

JACK - THIS HAS BECOME A POP 2 COIN. It appears "Someone" made a major hit. A 65 red could sell for $5,000+. Has PCGS opened the Golden Gate ?

This looks like nice coin. I know that Gerry needs it.......but who else is lurking ?????? I doubt Gerry would pay $69,000 for the coin.

Stewart

PS It looks like I keep getting richer. I paid $2,200 for my coin in 1990.... and I have another one that should go ms 66 red.
  • Options

It looks like I keep getting richer. I paid $2,200 for my coin in 1990

Yes, I remember those days. If only I wasn't a struggling med student back then, I would have given you more of a run for your money.

Agree, not sure Gerry would pay $70K+ for the coin, then again not sure I would eitherimage

Jack

• Options

Hammered around 75K. I'd still have to say that is pretty pricey.

jack

• Options

So, who is the new red whale?
    Doug
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like "hammer" was at exactly $65,000 (plus 15%). Congrats to the consignor!

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Looks like "hammer" was at exactly $65,000 (plus 15%).

Ooops, a little typo. I knew I could count on you Mitch to straighten me outimage

Jack

• Options

<< <i>So, who is the new red whale? >>

Andy Skrabalak is the new owner and he bought it without actually having a home for it, quite a gutsy thing to do. I know I wouldn't chance it with a coin in that price level these days. Unlike many juiced up auction photos, the coin looks BETTER in person than the photo. It's a solid to better MS-66Rd. Andy's asking price is $85,000 and I hope he gets it. Any seemed to have snagged a lot of new material at the Long Beach Heritage auction, so I expect you'll see lots of fresh material online on he Angel Dee's website.

Ira
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, I saw this coin in hand today at the Long Beach show and it is awesome. Haven't personally compared it to any other examples of this date/mm since I'm not working on the full set of Lincolns, but this coin definitely has the look of a very high end solid MS66RD Lincoln any day. Thanks Andy for letting me check it out, it was fun!!! image
  • Options

Well, I'll chalk that one up to another one of those "missed opportunities". If Andy bought the coin, it must be all there. Just another example of how auction images often miss the mark. Oh well...

Congrats, Andy.

Jack

• Options
    image <=== Andy S.
    Doug