Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Should a small planchet flaw preclude a coin from being graded?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
Alot of the older coins were of course hand pressed and not always up to minint standards today.

If there is a small planchet flaw on a coin, say a 8 reales, should that merit a genuine grade or should it be graded since it was mint made?

I am getting a 8 reale 1822 Peru coin back that was graded genuine and reason given was a planchet defect which I don't even have a recollection seeing.

Surfaces were original.
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a picture when it comes back

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't, but unfortunately it does. I have a very nice early British shilling that would go 63+, but it came back because of a planchet flaw I had to use a loupe to find. I don't know how they see those with their 6 second grading. NGC does allow some pretty major planchet flaws on hammered coins though.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I guess if it had been post mint damage, then maybe PCGS would have graded it. Seems they like to turn a blind eye to damaged stuff made after striking.

click

I guess the moral of the story boils down to whether they "need" it in their population reports or not. It sure is a sad state of affairs when they bag minor planchet flaws on coins that were crudely struck anyway, but holder and net grade damaged rarities.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the problem when grading coins from the late 17th Century through the mid to late 19th century is that we have the benefit of time, technology and hopefully, a little intelligence to offer an appropriate opinion based on knowledge of the mint at issue, the quality of the planchet and striking characteristics. Unfortunately, this is an area of numismatics that needs improvement because the dots are not always connected in the grading room.

Sorry- but someone has to tell it like it is.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultimately, it's a judgment call. The primary considerations are (or should be) the magnitude of the flaw, and the frequency with which such flaws are seen on other coins of the date and/or type.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Ideally, no ... but it seems the third-party graders may not agree.