Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Signed rookie PSA/DNA question (w/pics)

PSA/DNA is stopping by a store here in Atlanta this weekend and I was thinking of going. I have a signed '89 Score Barry Sanders and '80 Topps Rickey Henderson. From what I hear, they authenticate on site, but do not grade the card. The Henderson isn't in the best shape, but the Sanders would certainly grade an 8 or 9. Should I hold off on the Sanders to include the grade, or does it not really matter that much? I am a Collecters Club member, but figured I wouldn't have to pay shipping charges each way if authenticated on site.

Would it make sense to also authenticate lesser rookie cards (for example, an 84T Dickerson)? There seems to be a high demand for signed rookie cards lately, but I didn't want to bother with the Dickerson if its value would be <$50.

Sorry for the poor pics...I'm new at this.

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    There may be few who care about the grade but I dont know any. I know I dont care about the autograph grade. I can look at an auto and know if it has a nice enough appearance or not.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There may be few who care about the grade but I dont know any. I know I dont care about the autograph grade. I can look at an auto and know if it has a nice enough appearance or not. >>

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    gtgrad99gtgrad99 Posts: 227 ✭✭

<< <i>PSA/DNA is stopping by a store here in Atlanta this weekend and I was thinking of going. >>

Which store?
  • Options
    Autograph grades are pretty subjective. Sure there's some base differentation from smudges or boldness, but past that there's not much standard. So a grade doesn't really make sense to me.

I do however see merit in grading the card that the autograph is on. That's very objective and there's a lot of card deficiencies that make them more or less nice.

To me personally, I'm mostly concerned with authenticity. I figure I can look at the item myself and determine how I grade it, and that's the only grade I care about.
  • Options
    Fatty98Fatty98 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm referring to the grade of the actual card (not the grade of the autograph). My Rickey Henderson rookie is not in the best shape, but the Barry Sanders one would surely be an 8 or a 9.