Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you think this '52 Topps psa Mantle is legit?

I contacted some of the ebay sellers who had a topps '52 Mantle psa 4 card for sale. One came back at $11,000.00. I would appreciate any help or feedback if you think this auction looks OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220469208895&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    That auction ended. I personally would not send $11k to some person with 133 feedback who sells cards on occasion. Maybe it's just me. If I were buying a '52 Mantle I would pay an extra 10 or 15% and buy from a top level dealer.
  • Options
    thanks,

i won the auction, now I am worried that something is not right. The dealers seem that they want 13-14 for the same grade.
  • Options
    I would get some assurances from the seller before sending him a dime. Maybe get an e-escrow company involved.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Source of photo:

not a good sign

unless the seller is the beardownsphotos.

///////////////////

I remain clueless as to why anybody would bid on such a listing.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dealers want 13 or 14 k for the same grade but you don't worry about getting the card.

here with this jamoke you have no idea.

For that kind of deal why not travel and meet?

I have no idea if this seller is good or bad.

Did you try to register the card to see if it was already in someone's set?

I'd do that before I'd go any further.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Beardownsphotos/MickeyMantleFront.jpg

is the url for the pic. Wonder if someone here could investigate from that?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Storm beat me too it!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The photobucket theme is that he's a Bears fan. The eBay guy lives in IL, that's a start at least.
  • Options
    The mantle is enhanced, there is NO WAY the borders are that white on the card..

Back out of the deal..Fast and I mean fast...

There is a board member here who has a few mantles that is legit and he will sell you one.

If you are interested contact me and I will forward his info to you. Use my PM.

Please dont do this transaction, I have a really bad feeling about it.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options

<< <i>The photobucket theme is that he's a Bears fan. The eBay guy lives in IL, that's a start at least. >>

//////////////////

Item location: Washington, IL

Photobucket connection to: Peoria, IL

Washington is just east of Peoria.

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    The seller sold a 52 mays to soxfox21 on ebay on 2/18/08 for $627. soxfox left feedback of "perfect transaction--great card". I know there's a big difference between $11K and $627 but at the very least he has sold a 52 topps card with apparent good results.

After doing a little research I think his name is steve and there is a steve who has a fantasy fb team named beardown.That steve has the photobucket page storm referenced, and lives in the same town as the seller.

I would always be nervous about that amount of money. I would take steve's advice and meet him in a public place and trade the money for the card.

Edited to remove names, glad the deal worked out good.
  • Options

My concern now rests largely with my view that the
    EBAY account looks a little bit jacked.

BUT, some of my accounts would look that way, too;
    I have not listed any collectibles for a long time, but
    my FB is much higher than the subject seller's.

I dunno.

As to the card's condition, I liked the PSA 4 that was
    discussed here a few days ago MUCH better than I
    like this one.

It was centered GREAT, and had wrinkles/creases/scuffs
    on the back.

If cards work out the same as stamps did, out-years
    are going to forgive LOTS of things, PROVIDED the
    centering is GREAT.

• Options
    wow! you guys are really good at this!

I got the sellers contact info from ebay and sent him an email and he sent me matching contact info. he has been on ebay for several years. I called him and we had a great conversation. He upgraded the shipping to overnight fed-ex or UPS and will send it tomorrow. using american express and paypal, and after speaking with him from his home, I believe I will be OK. I know on high purchase items thru EBay, american express has been fantastic when items don't arrive. They seem to yank the money (no pun intended) from paypal and paypal yanks it from the seller. I am saving about 20 percent from the other offers and counter offers I have received.
    '
    I really appreciate all your help, this site and the contributors are a great resource!

Mike
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dealers want 13 or 14 k for the same grade but you don't worry about getting the card.

here with this jamoke you have no idea.

For that kind of deal why not travel and meet?

I have no idea if this seller is good or bad.

Did you try to register the card to see if it was already in someone's set?

I'd do that before I'd go any further.

Steve >>

Steve, how do you search the registry to see if it's in someone's set? Sorry if that's a silly question. Goes to show you how much i pay attention to the registry.

• Options
    Dan

If you try and register it in your set it won't allow you if someone else already has it in a set.

Perhaps this is the 1 time out of 100 where the Mantle is legit and the seller is too.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I think you got some great responses. I am also glad that your comfort level is increasing.
    Last year, I sold my first item on eBay (I've sold a minimal amount of stuff since then) and my feedback was, I think, around 53 as I had only used eBay for the UD POH 500 Homerun club and the autographed 500 goal club cards. Anyway, I listed the 500 goal cards since I didn't think I could complete it and because it appeared that UD wasn't going to add the newer entrants. Because of the price (I made #1 in the 10/03/08 SCD) it ended up as a complex transaction through paypal (combined with a change in a contact phone number that occurred at the time of the sale) that took a while to consummate. In the end, everything worked out.

My point is, some of the responses indicate that they would never do a high $ transaction with someone that does not have a high feedback. While I agree, I think there are ways to get comfortable with the seller in these situations. A legitimate seller will always be able to respond to an interested buyer. At least I'm hoping that is the case as I am considering putting up a 1956 baseball set and a PSA 7 Bobby Hull rookie sometime between now and the end of the year and my feedback is less than 100.

Good luck with the transaction.
    Paul
  • Options
    I wish I would of checked these boards a couple days ago but have been to busy to look around. The card was mine and it is real and on it's way to it's new home, he'll have it this afternoon. I don't blame anyone for not believing the auction to be legit with the number of scammers out there and in retrospect I should of posted it on here first but didn't really think of it being a problem. Glad to have sold it to a board member and someone who will enjoy it. Just found this thread and had to respond.
  • Options
    No problem,

Can you explain to me one thing, How is it that the scan showed the borders of the card so white, Im not implying anything and please dont think I am, I own that particular card and the boarders are not anywhere that white.

I hope you dont find me asking this question to be intrusive or acusatory in any manner. This is what made me suspious..

Thank you

Your card..my card..I used High res scan on my card...also, the lettering on your flip on is a little out of focus...

imageimage
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    I honestly don't know. I do scan most of my cards on a piece of black construction paper which seems to make them "pop" a little more but it really is a nice card. It's grade is for the diamond cut apperance and soft corners as the picture is very clear and very nice. No offense taken as I do understand people being skeptical of that card. That being said, my brother has the same card in PSA 7 and is considering moveing his also...now that we will definitly post on here before Ebay =) !
    I just started following your '52 Topps thread and am enjoying it very much. Hope to make it to that Chicago show myself and maybe see it in person!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I think he cranked up the brightness on the image, because the flip is also very bright. I still wouldn't have bought it, but that's just me. I'm sure it's okay.
  • Options
    Here is another scan with some of my other cards. For some reason my scanner seems to make the flip fuzzy.
  • Options

<< <i>I honestly don't know. I do scan most of my cards on a piece of black construction paper which seems to make them "pop" a little more but it really is a nice card. It's grade is for the diamond cut apperance and soft corners as the picture is very clear and very nice. No offense taken as I do understand people being skeptical of that card. That being said, my brother has the same card in PSA 7 and is considering moveing his also...now that we will definitly post on here before Ebay =) !
    I just started following your '52 Topps thread and am enjoying it very much. Hope to make it to that Chicago show myself and maybe see it in person! >>

Thanks for the reponse, I wanted to let you know what made me tell the original op to not complete the transaction. It is sutle things like that the I look for, It isnt always the obvious, and maybe I am wrong at times, but in a transaction like this, I would rather be wrong on the cautious side vs. not.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you in anyway, the point was to show you why I was not sold on the card and where I drew my conclusion from, rightfully or wrongly.

• Options
    No problem and no offense taken. It's honestly not easy to move a high end card if your an average person in this industry and understandably so as there are so many dishonest people out there.
    He got a good price on a good card and he'll be happy, as am I.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple "scanner threads" on here with people having the same problem when they scan graded cards, the fuzzy label. I have the same problem with my scanner. It has to do with the gap between the scanner surface and the label surface. It makes it out of focus. I forget exactly what feature it is that you need to make sure your scanner has, but I know mine doesn't have it. My next one will for sure.
  • Options
    I am the reader that started this topic. I received the card in via fed-ex yesterday, just like the seller promised. In speaking with him, I felt more comfortible in completing the transaction. Please be gentle with me, I am a ring collector, not really a collector of high end cards. I have purchased quite a few rings from ebay and so have other ring collectors - sometimes you acquire rings from front office people who do not sell much on ebay. Therefore there feedback might be very low. One pal of mind, actually purchased a new england patriots superbowl XXXVI ring, exactly like the players received with zero feedback. The ring discounted quite a bit due to zero feedback and my friend make out very well. Here is the scan. I would appreciate if the experts out there could let me know if the card looks legitimate. Thanks again for the education and help, it is very much appreciated.

Mike,

click here to see the pictures: thanks

Front
    Back
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Looks very nice. Glad everything worked out well. Alot of horror stories, nice to hear a good one once in awhile.
  • Options
    Its real...enjoy your card..You did very well.
  • Options
    "Looks very nice. Glad everything worked out well. Alot of horror stories, nice to hear a good one once in awhile."

/////////////

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Steve,

I just wanted to mention how great you were to deal with. I did not realize you were on the board. In no way did you do anything to alarm me. It's just that I don't really know much about Mantle cards and there are so many horror stories out there about forgeries and now fake slabs. I'm more knowledgeable on rings, not on Mantle cards. You were great to work with and I really appreciate your help this week!

Mike

• Options
    Glad you like the card and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time. It was a blast to own and it is one of the only cards in the hobby where you really can't loose. I did well with it and if you decide to sell it, you will do well also. Thanks again for the smooth sale and I look forward to staying in touch through the board.
    On a side note. The PSA 7 for sale on Ebay is my brothers and is the real deal also. Just sayin' =)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120463815169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • Options
  • Options
    Lol. Thanks for the help. I seem to be a little challenged with posting links for some reason.
  • Options
    If I recall last year Beardown and his brother both posted here regarding the 52 Mantles that they owned.

At the time one of them was trying to sell.

I should have put 2+2 together earlier.

Glad to see that finally an Ebay transaction for a 52 Mantle worked out!

Kudos to Bearsdown for not taking offense with some remarks here.

He surely is no 'jamoke'

Steve
    Good for you.