Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OKAY--What's going on with this?

Order #20329746 / Submission #4801058
Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
1 1 15828875 NEAR MINT 7 1960 TOPPS 350 MICKEY MANTLE Card US
2 1 15828876 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1960 TOPPS 200 WILLIE MAYS Card US
3 1 15828877 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1960 TOPPS 350 MICKEY MANTLE Card US
4 1 15828878 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1960 TOPPS 563 MICKEY MANTLE ALL STAR Card US
5 1 15828879 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 TOPPS 380 HANK AARON Card US
6 1 15828880 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1956 TOPPS 135 MICKEY MANTLE GRAY BACK Card US
7 1 15828881 NEAR MINT 7 1964 TOPPS 50 MICKEY MANTLE Card US
7 2 15828882 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1964 TOPPS 50 MICKEY MANTLE Card US
8 1 15828883 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1964 TOPPS 150 WILLIE MAYS Card US
9 1 15828884 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS 150 WILLIE MAYS Card US
10 1 15828885 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS 200 SANDY KOUFAX Card US
11 1 15828886 NEAR MINT 7 1961 TOPPS 415 HANK AARON Card US
12 1 15828887 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1975 TOPPS 660 HANK AARON Card US
13 1 15828888 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1969 TOPPS 500 MICKEY MANTLE LAST NAME IN YELLOW Card US
14 1 15828889 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1964 TOPPS 50 MICKEY MANTLE Card

I will update this thread to show the rest of the damage as my computer is having problems. There are 4 more cards.

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    It is prolly always best to crack 'em out, before you send them in.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    If these were crackouts, it looks like the ones that were graded crossed to about what they should. You had to expect the EOT on the GAI card. The others? Not so much.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    The '64 Mantle does look trimmed
    Either that or badly miscut on the left edge
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to be crack outs or they would be MG, not EOT - wouldn't they?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Had to be crack outs or they would be MG, not EOT - wouldn't they? >>

I've had crossover attempts say EOT also. They dont crack them out, they just send a cardsaver with the EOT flip stuck on it next to the still slabbed card.

Then I cracked the EOT and sent it raw and it graded.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    These were cracked out. As to the GAI stuff, they were in PSA 8 holders before the GAI 8.5.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These were cracked out. As to the GAI stuff, they were in PSA 8 holders before the GAI 8.5. >>

sound financial decision by someone to crack out a PSA 8 and send to GAI, lol.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    SORRY THIS HAPPENED... just gotta try again
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    let me get this straight..if you send in a cross over they grade it through the plastic casing and if it makes the grade they crack it and put it in a psa slab.

What if you send in a psa card for a bump up, do they crack it to grade it, or do they also grade those by looping tru the plastic?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I have had more trimmed SGC cards than GAI according to PSA that is. I always crack. I still really like SGC but I have had some bad luck
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Folks, all of the cards were sent in raw. They used to be in SGC and GAI holders. As to the comment about a sound financial decision cracking out PSA's to GAI's--many people did 5 years ago. Except I sent mine to GAI on a cross over and received the 8.5's. Also, just to add to the sound financial decision comment-- The founders at GAI were the lead men at PSA for a number of years. Many dealers did this also. .5's from GAI were a good thing at one time. When I showed the scans I was showing the cards in the holders before I cracked them out.
  • Options
    There are good reasons that they (gai) became no longer head men at PSA.
  • Options

<< <i>Folks, all of the cards were sent in raw. They used to be in SGC and GAI holders. As to the comment about a sound financial decision cracking out PSA's to GAI's--many people did 5 years ago. Except I sent mine to GAI on a cross over and received the 8.5's. Also, just to add to the sound financial decision comment-- The founders at GAI were the lead men at PSA for a number of years. Many dealers did this also. .5's from GAI were a good thing at one time. When I showed the scans I was showing the cards in the holders before I cracked them out. >>

I didn't say that you did it. I was just wondering why on Earth anyone would crack out a PSA 8 Mantle and send to GAI. Even if it bumps to a 9 you are still gonna lose a lot of money.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mickey

Are you going to re sub the ones that did not grade?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    corvette1340 what he is saying and everyone that was buying and selling at the time will agree, is that GAI 8.5s were bringing more money than PSA 8s. At the beginning of GAI some pretty big dealers and collectors switched due to issues with PSA. That caused them to have alot of weight with other dealers and collectors so the first 1.5 years of GAI's life prices were very strong. Only later when issues started to emerge did the prices bottom out.

Looking at it from today's perspective it is easy to say it wasn't a good idea to cross to GAI but at the time it was a good decision if you got the bump.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    This is not directed at the OP directly. This is more a general question. I just wonder aloud how much the crack and resub game really profits a person in the long run? Yes, I realize you have some amazing successes where cards bump up one and two full grades. I totally get that. Or you crack from one company to the other. I get it. However, it seems a lot of people crack and resubmit multiple times. The grading fees and postage for grading (both ways) has to factor in eventually. Maybe I am too lazy but it just seems like a lot of work to gamble. In the end, on average, I don't see how you come out ahead. Like gambling if you really think about it do you come out ahead? Everybody says they "broke even" on their last trip to Vegas but we know that isn't true EVERY time. Just curious about the financial dymamics of the crack and resub game. Or maybe it's more the hobby of it? I get that. It's cool when you crack and get a bump and forget about the other 5 times it didn't work out or you bumped down!? Just curious.
    P.S. I am sorry this happened to the OP.
  • Options

<< <i>corvette1340 what he is saying and everyone that was buying and selling at the time will agree, is that GAI 8.5s were bringing more money than PSA 8s. At the beginning of GAI some pretty big dealers and collectors switched due to issues with PSA. That caused them to have alot of weight with other dealers and collectors so the first 1.5 years of GAI's life prices were very strong. Only later when issues started to emerge did the prices bottom out.

Looking at it from today's perspective it is easy to say it wasn't a good idea to cross to GAI but at the time it was a good decision if you got the bump. >>

yes, I gathered that when it was done there was a valid reason behind it. I wasn't back into collecting at the time GAI started and were respected/valued. When I made the comment it was obviously in reference to the present state of collecting and the present day GAI and their values. I apologize if I came accross as downing anything the op said or did, it wasn't my intention.
  • Options
    WinPitcher,
    I may resub them at a later date. I guess my whole issue with this is that I actually did not want to crack any of them but it's the only option. Anyone who says "just send them in for crossover" has not used that service. I sent in 10 similar type cards one time and they crossed 1--no kidding. I really don't know what to think about this. Is PSA being ridiculous or is SGC letting trimmed stuff get into holders. As to the 60 All Star and 60 Mays--no way they are trimmed.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    My take is that PSA is currently simply being VERY cautious.

I don't read the circumstance as "proof" that SGC is making serial errors.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    DamageIncDamageInc Posts: 150 ✭✭
    My take from this thread and many other recent ones is when you send a sub in with high profile stars/hofer's on high grade 30+ year old cardboard, 7 times out of ten, EOT is the verdict.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    your right...they just dont believe it can exist at this day and time....unreal but true!!
  • Options
    how about if you send in a psa card to get regraded in the psa slab...whats the odds of a bump up

and what if you crack it out of the psa slab and send back raw....are odds better?

and finally, what if you crack out of the psa slab send back raw..and they reply EOT
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My take from this thread and many other recent ones is when you send a sub in with high profile stars/hofer's on high grade 30+ year old cardboard, 7 times out of ten, EOT is the verdict. >>

Bingo!