Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1900-1964 Silver & Gold Type Set

1st post!

I have been collecting for awhile now, and decided to create a registry type set of 1900-1964 silver & gold - circulation strikes.
I found no category matching these requirements. I e-mail BJ about creating one and he asked around at the show in LA.
They told him there was no need at this time to create this registry, so I am not able to get my coins ranked. I can only
show them in the "showcases" section of the registry. The only reason I wanted this set is because I don't collect clad,
copper or nickle - strictly silver and gold, (real money). Is there anyone else out there who is in the same boat?

my showcase link is: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase.aspx?sc=885

Thanks.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 1900-1964 Silver and Gold Type Set would be a very beautiful collection indeed.

It would consist of Coronet Liberty Gold, Barber and Morgan silvers for the turn of the century [1900-1916] early coins; incuse Indian gold, Indian eagles and Saint double eagles and silver Mercury dimes, SLQ's, WLH's and Peace dollars for the early 1900's [1908-1945; and silver Washington quarters, Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dimes, Franklin halves and 1964 Kennedy halves to cover the depression, WWII and baby boomer years [1932-1964].

MS examples of these coins would not be prohibitively expensive, particularly common dates. Eye appealing examples with great luster and possibly toning are available and could be acquired and assembled into one heck of a great looking type set. Putting same into a black Capital Holder with gold embossed lettering would look great.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I have the silver portion completed. and now am working on the gold.
    The pics are in my showcase.
  • CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If PCGS is unwilling to provide the Silver and Gold set, then maybe they will do a 20th Century Silver Type Set, Circulation Strikes (1900-1964). You add this with the existing 20th Century Gold Type Set, Circulation Strikes (1900-1933), then you will have what you need. I have the coins to complete the new silver set if you can talk them into it... Good Luck...
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • My preferences lean in favor of gold and silver, but I do not actively exclude other metals or moderns. (Indeed, I've ended up with three wheat pennies graded simply because they were the best fit I had for what was going on with the PCGS collector's club specials that quarter.)

My principal goal with registry sets is less about top ranking and more about finishing the sets. Your idea of using a showcase to build whatever set you want makes great sense. It might be something to consider to avoid having to choose between getting a coin I'm not that interested in just to finish a set versus leaving a blank.

Not that that's a problem for me right now, as right now I'm working primarily on the twelve coin gold type set, and I pretty much want all of them. My main problem with that set is that I've got two great eagles, the Indian and a CC Liberty, but they're both NGC-graded. I'll have to get them again in PCGS or go through the trouble of regrading two coins that are already in good holders by the one other company I trust with coins of this caliber. Not a problem, as in the long run, I plan to do so anyway. But, if I find a good deal on a gold $3, I'm not passing it up just to get a coin for a set.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.