Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best way to open slabbed cards?

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to break cards out of slabs? I like to buy cards on ebay, crack them open and send them off for autographs. I just use a hacksaw to cut the bottom part of the slab and then get the card out.....but I worry I'm going to damage the cards sometimes. Any suggestions on a safer way?

Comments

• Options
    SGC slabs pry open with a screwdriver without breaking the slab.

PSA slabs I always clip the corner by the flip with a wire cutter and make sure to clip enough that goes into the recessed area where the fip is. Then use a screwdriver to pry open the case. If you gently work your way around the edges, it opens rather easily without damaging the card.

BGS slabs require a jackhammer, a table saw, a 2-ton wench, a screwdriver and good insurance.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do same as LSU on PSA except I use pliere and just snap the corner off rather than snip it off. I used to use shears, but the flying debris was too much for me.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I like to use my riding mower.
  • Options
    16lbs sledge hammer works well
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Ya know those tiny silver screwdrivers that come in a red case- people often use them to fix items like their glasses, or get the cover off the battery compartment of a child's toy (my main use)...well, get the flathead, and stand your slab straight up. Align the screwdriver with the seam, and with a couple taps of a hammer you can crack it- you'll be able to run the screwdriver along the rest of the seams, and eventually pull the slab (any of the 3) apart with your hands and it'll come apart in two clean pieces. Did two SGCs this morning actually...
  • Options
    No need to get techical on opening slabs...with any of them PSA,SGC,BGS

all of them open up fine by snipping or breaking of the top corner by the flip you can use pliers vice grips cutters etc. place a small flat head screw driver in between the 2 pieces and twist, the welds break and you can go around the slab if needed..

This works on any slab.. usually takes about 20 seconds topps for any of them..