Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay-voicemail message

I received a voicemail message from Ebay the other day. The message, from someone calling from India or a thick accent from the same location, said that my Ebay store listings might be ended. The listings do not have a "return policy" and therefore violate something. Did anyone else get this message?

I believe FeeBay left a similar message for me when they stopped taking cashier checks. However, many of my listings in the store still say that I take cashier checks. I guess they would rather have my 3 to 10 cents per listings, than to shut me down. lol
Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

It is easy to fix your return policy.

"Returns Not Accepted," is an acceptable return policy.

(SNAD-items can be returned, regardless of your return policy.)

Asking for paper-payments will get listings cancelled,
    but usually only if somebody reports the listings.

EBAY TOS......

Specifying your return policy

A clear return policy reassures buyers

If you offer a clear return policy on your items, chances are that you're more successful than other sellers on eBay. Our research shows that "difficulty in returning items" is the topmost shopping barrier cited by buyers. As a result, sellers who clearly spell out their return policies in their listings have an edge on the competition. Typically they sell a higher percentage of their listed items, compared to sellers who don't have clear return policies.

The reason is obvious — buyers are more comfortable shopping from sellers offering return policies. Also, our research shows that only a very small percentage of sold items are actually returned. A clear return policy can help increase your sell-through rates.

Sellers on eBay are required to specify a return policy when they sell items. This is true even if the seller's return policy is not to accept returns. If you do not specify a return policy, eBay will select a default return policy for you.

Note: Sellers are required to accept a return if eBay determines that the item was significantly different from what was described in the listing.

Return policy options to think about

If you don't already offer a clear return policy, consider the following options to drive your sales:

Refund Remedy (for example, returns accepted for full cash back or store credit)

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed (for example, returns accepted, no questions asked)

Time Limit (for example, returns accepted within 30 days after the item is delivered)

Free Return Shipping (for example, the seller pays for cost of shipping for returned items)

Mention the details upfront

Clearly explain the details of your return policy, so that buyers understand their options while returning items. Consider including details like the following to make your return policy clear:

Time limits: Specify how long buyers have to return the item after they receive it

Refund type: Specify whether you will offer money back, a merchandise credit, or exchange for an identical item.

Shipping and handling charges: Clearly state who would pay for return shipping and handling, you or the buyer.

You can also include additional return policy details, such as:

Restocking fee: Mention if you will charge a restocking fee, and if so, what it would be.

Item condition: Clearly state the condition of the returned item that would be acceptable to you, for example, "unopened box" or "opened box with all original materials".

How to specify your return policy

In the "Return Policy" section of the Sell Your Item form, take the following steps:

Click the Change return policy link.

Select whether you accept returns.

Select the time limit within which the buyer must return the item to you.

Select the type of refund you will give if the item is returned.

Select who will pay for return shipping.

Enter all other details about your return policy in the text box provided.

Click the Save button.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    yep, I got the same message as well. Seems like a lot of effort, but I'm guessing that not many people have updated their listings yet, and they are worried about having nothing listed for sale the next day if they poof the listings.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    So will the listings go to the unsold item area? Or will they just completely vanish from My Ebay?
  • Options
    They will generally vanish forever.

Just copy them all in TurboLister, in case they get poofed.
  • Options
    awww let them poof them all then. Hardly anything sells out my Ebay shop anyways, 650 items on there and maybe 10 sales per month. It rarely even pays for itself these days, although I do not devote the time necessary to make it profitable.
  • Options
    As an FYI here is the e-mail I received after speaking with eBay, complete with directions for how to do bulk updates on active listings....

Thanks for speaking with me. As a follow-up email to our discussion about the upcoming requirement to add a return policy and handling time to all of your Good Til Cancelled listings, here's a more detailed overview of the changes:

What do I have to do?
    Specify a return policy and a handling time for all your Good Til Cancelled listings
    You do not have to take all returns - you can specify "No Returns Accepted"

When do I have to do it by?
    You must specify these pieces of information by September 22, 2009
    If you do not, your listings will be ended rather than renewed.
    We strongly recommend you begin revising your listings immediately since demand for the listing tools will be high closer to the deadline, which may result in delays for you.

What's the best way to do it?
    Bulk editing and relist tools are available now that make it easy to revise your listings.
    Step-by-step instructions for eBay's most commonly used tools are available at http://www.ebay.com/policyupdate
    You can edit the return policy and handling time fields on multi-quantity listings that already have a sale.
    If you use a third party provider, please get in touch with them directly if you have any questions about how to make these changes.

Are there any exceptions to this rule?
    Real Estate, Specialty Services, and all Motors listings (including both Vehicles and Parts and Accessories) do not require a handling time.
    You don't need to specify a handling time if you list your item in Real Estate Ad or Classified Ad format or if you list on Half.com.
    If your item is available for local pickup only, you don't need to specify a handling time.
    If you specify that your item is shipped via freight only, you do not need to specify a handling time.
    Where can I get more information?
    Visit http://www.ebay.com/policyupdate for step-by-step instructions, exceptions and other important information.

Once again, we strongly recommend you start your revisions now to avoid any delays or disruptions. You can find details on all these changes and options for bulk editing at http://www.ebay.com/policyupdate.

Regards,
    eBay Seller Development
  • Options
    "...650 items on there and maybe 10 sales per month...."

////////////////////////////////////////////

I would kill everthing cheaper than $9.99.

I would move the cheaper stuff to ecrater, OR
    build lots out of the cheap stuff and relist on
    EBAY.

I would go to "free" shipping on ALL EBAY listings.
    It will cost you nothing, with store items and BO.

The shipping-time star may be killing your search
    returns. "Varies" is not an attractive delivery
    estimate, to buyers.

I would buy a professional logo and use it on EBAY
    and ecrater; less than $20.
  • Options
    I use to have lots of cards and they did not sell. So I actually broke some of the lots up and tried to sell them as individual cards. Neither has been very profitable. I will look into the professional logo. Do you know of a site that does the logos.
  • Options

logos

/////////////////////////////

Horizontal logos that look like those that a bank
    or insurance company would use are best.

$20 to $30 is the right price for a custom job, with
    one proof provided.

• Options
    Thanks, I will check it out.

I tried to use the bulk edit, but was told that about half of 50 items I tried to edit, cannot be used during bulk edit. Any idea why I cannot use a bulk edit for an item??
  • Options
    Try doing 10 items at a time.

• Options
    the first think that struck me is the call came from india, i realize im new to the forum but is this normal, instead of coming from the states,,bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>the first think that struck me is the call came from india, i realize im new to the forum but is this normal, instead of coming from the states,,bj >>

/////////////////////////////////////

More than normal!

86% of companies based in the USA, including eBay, look at India for their outsourcing IT solutions.

India is poised to be a $70 billion software market in 2009

North America's share (U.S. & Canada) in India's software exports is about 68%

Since the year 2000, more than 2/3rd of Fortune 500 companies have outsourced their IT services to India

75 per cent of the top 40 global IT services companies consider India as the country to shift R&D

One quarter of IT jobs worldwide would have moved to offshore locations by the year 2010

Welcome to the Boards,
    PoppaJ