Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Nega-props to the Dallas Cowboys No Shows this weekend at a show.

Marion Barber, Martellus Bennett, Stephen McGee (are you kidding me?), and Alvin Harper bailed without any notice to the show promoters.

Massive nega-props to all of them. Personally I wouldn't pay a nickel for any of their autographs but hundreds of Cowboys fans were screwed.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I played golf with Alvin Harper at Doral last Monday, He told me he was going to be in Washington DC all weekend with his family.

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Wow. He flat out lied to the promoters then. They made an announcement on Saturday saying they were trying to reach him by cell.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I played golf with Alvin Harper at Doral last Monday, He told me he was going to be in Washington DC all weekend with his family. >>

Did he show you his freaky finger?
  • Options

<< <i>Did he show you his freaky finger? >>

NO, But the dude can play golf. Conditions were brutal (25 MPH Winds) and he still shot 75.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. He flat out lied to the promoters then. >>

Or he lied to me which is a more likely scenerio.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Ummm, or the promoters lied to their customers so they would get a better turnout. Probably the most likely scenario.
  • Options
    "Ummm, or the promoters lied to their customers so they would get a better turnout. Probably the most likely scenario."

I'd normally believe that, but who is going to come anyway to see Stephen McGee? Plus they were incompetent in how they advertised it anyway so I don't think they were that smart.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options

<< <i>Ummm, or the promoters lied to their customers so they would get a better turnout. Probably the most likely scenario. >>

My money's on this one. I could see one player being a no show, but not all four. It's not like these guys carpool to get to a show so they all said "hey let's blow it off and go drinking." Players usually each arrive in their own very nice vehicle, accompanied by a manager.

You said the promoters weren't that smart, Ron, so it's quite possible they may have intended to get those guys originally, but then pulled the plug when they saw how much it was going to cost them. And if they were as incompetent at advertising as you say, they would not have known how to let everybody know the players wouldn't be there.

For all their flaws, players are usually pretty good about showing up at these shows for their fans.
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Supposedly ,the modern Cowboys that were scheduled for early to mid-day Saturday had their real job interfere, when they were required to attend an unexpected mandatory team meeting. That's understandable to me. Several were supposedly rescheduled for Sunday, but those that couldn't rearrange their schedules were not able to make it on Sunday.

According to several of my autograph gathering friends in the DFW area, Marion Barber is a habitual offender of not showing up for scheduled signings.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>"Ummm, or the promoters lied to their customers so they would get a better turnout. Probably the most likely scenario."

I'd normally believe that, but who is going to come anyway to see Stephen McGee? >>

He was born in Texas, played ball at Burnet High School and played college ball at Texas A&M. Knowing how big high school, college and the NFL are in Texas, I'm sure he has quite a few fans.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason for me to hate the Dallas Cowboys, not that I really needed any more reasons. LOL
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they got caught up in seeing who could hit the new scoreboard with a punt and simply lost track of time. It happens.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think Jerry was having them paint the second coat on the stadium before leaving after the game Friday. Some of them probably had to sleep in.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>Marion Barber is a habitual offender of not showing up for scheduled signings >>

Barber was supposed to be one of the current Cowboys that showed up here for an annual charity basketball game in April against the Saints. He didn't make it then either.
  • Options
    Quite possible they were all incarcerated, after all it is the Cowpies....Anyone check the Texas penal institutions - they might need help making bail so they can make the next card show signing.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options

<< <i>Quite possible they were all incarcerated, after all it is the Cowpies....Anyone check the Texas penal institutions - they might need help making bail so they can make the next card show signing. >>

I think they were hanging out with John Riggins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Quite possible they were all incarcerated, after all it is the Cowpies....Anyone check the Texas penal institutions - they might need help making bail so they can make the next card show signing. >>

I think they were hanging out with John Riggins. >>

And then they went and did some Cocaine with Dexter Manley
  • Options
    "Supposedly ,the modern Cowboys that were scheduled for early to mid-day Saturday had their real job interfere, when they were required to attend an unexpected mandatory team meeting. That's understandable to me. Several were supposedly rescheduled for Sunday, but those that couldn't rearrange their schedules were not able to make it on Sunday."

That's odd. The only no-show on Saturday was Alvin Harper. The others were scheduled for Sunday and didn't show on Sunday. Jason Witten was there yesterday, props to him.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Supposedly ,the modern Cowboys that were scheduled for early to mid-day Saturday had their real job interfere, when they were required to attend an unexpected mandatory team meeting. That's understandable to me. Several were supposedly rescheduled for Sunday, but those that couldn't rearrange their schedules were not able to make it on Sunday."

That's odd. The only no-show on Saturday was Alvin Harper. The others were scheduled for Sunday and didn't show on Sunday. Jason Witten was there yesterday, props to him. >>

Hhhmmmm, my understanding is that the modern guys were scheduled on Saturday for the most part originally (might be before they printed the schedule), and then got moved back to Sunday during the final couple days of last week. I was told the only modern that could make it Saturday was the guys that were supposed to be there later in the afternoon. Who knows? I do know that people were talking last week that they bet that Marion Barber would NOT show up at all due to his past history, and they turned out to be right. RB, if you are interested and don't already know about it, there is a Texas Autograph Club board as well that is pretty good at knowing when upcoming signings in the Texas area is. It's a free site and there are some rabid autograph collectors on that site. I've hired a guy on there on a couple occasions to stand in line for me and get me autographs. They are pretty knowledgeable about stuff coming up in DFW. If you need the URL, let me know and I'll send it to you later tonight when I get home from court. I'm just waiting time right now until court starts in about 40 minutes.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Here's an idea for promoters and shows and having Cowboys sign for them, especially current players.....

wait until the start of round 2 of the playoffs. They're always available then.