Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1983 Topps Michigan Test Wax Boxes Question

I have an opportunity to buy several of these from a guy that has supposedly had them for a long time. My question is how tamper proof are these? I know that they have the cello packaging and are supposed to be tamper proof, but is there any pack sequencing, see through, etc...? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collation is horrible - so pack searching is difficult. I got 6 Boggs in a box once. No wax or gum damage is nice too. The wrappers are a little see through - but it wouldn't help a searcher due to the collation craziness.

read this
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Good Day,
    What Bosox said !
    I've cracked at least 15 boxes, you can't see what's in a pack for colation, wouldn't matter anyway, colation is all over the place, at least 5 of those 15 boxes had no Boggs and a couple have had two of the same card next to each other in the same pack. And I don't think there would be any way to tamper with them, and Let's be honest why? Maybe half a dozen cards break $50 in PSA 10. Just not seeing the monetary value in that much trouble.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    So being test boxes doesn't make them at all rare?

Buy them for the fun I guess, I would if the price was right.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I opened 1 box and didn't receive a Sandberg or a Boggs. Collaction was terrible and there was damage to about 15% of the cards (big chip on one side, looked like factory mechanical damage).
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I opened 1 box and didn't receive a Sandberg or a Boggs. Collaction was terrible and there was damage to about 15% of the cards (big chip on one side, looked like factory mechanical damage). >>

But you got to meet me when you picked it up, so it all evened out. image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think collation was terrible in all packs. I bought a box from BBCE recently and it had zero Boggs and Ryans, but had 3 Gwynns and 1 Sandberg in it.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    You can see the top card in every pack but I have not seen any with true collation. The boxes and packs usually sell for more than the regular Topps issue but the value is in the supposed rarity and limited supply of the boxes and packs.

My honest opinion is that they are garbage. If you are looking for something to bust, just buy the regular Topps boxes.