Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Forgettable Shows...

This past weekend, I went to a Baseball Card show. It's been awhile since I'd been to an ordinary show. It was one of the larger listed in the area with 30 tables. I thought what the heck, I'd like to see what I might find out there, so I drove the hour and a half to check it out...

To my disappointment I found that the 30 tables equated to only 6 dealers.... of the six dealers only two had display cases with cards, and only one had any unopened material (1 box of allen & ginter and 1 box of Topps baseball), and only 1 had a card that was more than 5 years old that they were selling for more than $1....

The remaining dealers were selling frames or glossy pictures like those you'd get signed, or the silly wall plaques that are slightly larger than a card with a players name engraved on them and a crappy card within them.

Anyone else have any equally bad show experiences? Have shows really gotten this bad (other than the large shows like Tristar/national/etc)? I'm a bit reluctant to check out the 20 table show coming up that is an hour from me now.

Comments

• Options
    Let me be the first to say ...

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Ish, sounds like a horrible show.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Shows are not what they once worth but that one sounds particularly bad.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    At my local show that I set up at there is always

1 dude with alot of really good vintage ungraded but priced like it was graded.
    1 guy from a card shop in Fort Wayne that sells unopened at mediocre prices but much lower than local Indy dealers.
    2 guys with decent graded vintage and some newer stuff (hey I'm one of those guys).
    A bunch of guys killing themselves trying to move newer inserts to finanace their next case bust.
    At least 2 guys with super high end newer stuff priced way over ebay (the guy from Fort Wayne does this as well).

The rest about 10 tables full of 25cent to 1 dollar cards with maybe 1 display of 5 to 25$ cards in it.

Most of the guys walking the floor seem to think $5 is alot to spend on cards.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set